Find some treasure in the Green this weekend. From: Robbie in The @LittleMuseumDub #Dublin

Studio NI

May 2, 2021, 3:20:39 AM5/2/21
to studio...@googlegroups.com
Do the Big Little Treasure Hunt!

Are you looking for great outdoor entertainment? You’re in the right place. We are proud to announce the launch of the Big Little Treasure Hunt of Stephen's Green!

This fun-filled walk through Dublin’s most beautiful Georgian square will keep you, your friends and your family busy for at least an hour of splendid mischief.

Tickets start from €8, and each ticket includes a free ticket for two of Ireland’s best museums, MoLI and the Little Museum of Dublin.

As a special opening offer, we are delighted to offer you a 40% discount on the purchase of your ticket. Just enter the promo code 'member' at our online checkout.

Click here for more information about this brilliant new adventure. You can also buy tickets at the front door of the museum every day from 10am-4pm.

(Incidentally, you will be able to explore the inside of the museum – and our two walking tours of Stephen's Green – when we fully re-open at 10am on May 10th.)

ORDER YOUR TICKETS HERE
Celebrate Dermot Morgan – with his son, Don, and Gerry Stembridge

We are thrilled that so many of you join us for our free weekly webcast. If you want to watch, just click here at 6pm on Thursdays.

Next Thursday at 6pm, Don Morgan will join Sarah to talk about his father Dermot Morgan, touching on Father Ted as well as his father's legacy and relationship with Dublin.

Also joining the conversation is renowned novelist and director Gerry Stembridge, who worked with Dermot on the classic radio series, Scrap Saturday.

On 13th May, OPW Chief Park Superintendent Margaret Gormley will speak about role and history of Phoenix Park, Stephen’s Green and many more gems of Dublin.

On 20th May, to discuss the role of animals in Dublin, Trevor White is joined by David Blake Knox, author of The Curious History of Irish Dogs, and Catherine de Courcy, author of Dublin Zoo: An Illustrated History

You can watch all the previous episodes on our YouTube channel.

WATCH 120 DUBLIN STORIES
Buy yourself a piece of history

In the 1790s a young artist decided to create a portrait of Dublin. James Malton’s timing was impeccable, as the second city of the British Empire was then among the most splendid in Europe, but Dublin went into a long decline after the Act of Union in 1800.

Malton died in obscurity at the age of 38. Today we owe the very idea of Georgian Dublin to this remarkable artist. His work is admired by millions of people every year, yet little is known about Malton himself.

Our new book explores the life of a man whose work has become, as the Irish Times noted, “ubiquitous to the point of invisibility.” It is also a miniature biography of Dublin at the height of its golden age.

Published to accompany our exhibition on the works of Malton, this handsome new book is now available to buy in our online store.

VISIT THE LITTLE SHOP HERE
Entries close on May 17th
Port Short Film Prize 2021

Entries for our Port Short Film Competition close on May 17th. The winner will receive the €20,000 Port Short Film Prize. For more information, click here.

"The winning 2021 Port Short entry will be a celebration of Dublin - a look at where we have come from and indeed where we are going."

- Lar Joye, Port Heritage Director

To get you in the creative mood, watch last year's winner, The Chancers’ Guide to Dublin, produced by Aoife Noonan and directed by Ben O’Connor. It is now available to view on the RTE Player.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO
Streetlife in Dublin 1950-2000

We often invite the people of Dublin to crowd-source our exhibitions, and today we're inviting you to curate a magical new show.

Our head of design, Mark Corry, is working on a new exhibition about street life in Dublin.

If you have some great colour images of life on the streets of Dublin in the second half of the twentieth century, you may wish to see them in our exhibition? Perhaps it's a picture with a story, or an iconic view from the top of the Spire? The day you took your first steps in Stephen's Green? Or the time you did the Liffey Swim?

We're looking for colour photographs that speak to the richness of life on the streets of Dublin, and if you have a good story to tell, all the better! The picture/s must be taken between 1950 and 2000 please.

Please scan (or take a picture) of the photo/s you have in mind, and email them to Mark before 5pm next Friday, May 7th: ma...@littlemuseum.ie

Free History Talk for your school

We have created a FREE Women’s History of Ireland Talk for schools.

Presented by our women’s history expert, Brenda Herbert, this fascinating talk is c. 40 minutes and is delivered online via Zoom.

The session will enable students to discover the remarkable impact that women have had on Irish society throughout the last 100 years. We will also provide you with a virtual worksheet for students.

We are flexible on when we can run talks, and they are completely free. To book your session, just click here.

BOOK YOUR TALK TODAY
Want to join our team?

The Little Museum of Dublin is now seeking enthusiastic and capable individuals who wish to join our team for a 3-month internship programme.

Our internship programme provides suitable candidates with valuable experience of working in a dynamic, public-facing role in an award-winning cultural organisation.

If you are interested in our internship programme, we would love to hear from you!

I WOULD LIKE TO INTERN
Does anybody read this?
Yes. The April edition of our Museum Gazette was sent to 25, 116 charming and intelligent people. It was opened by 24.2% of our mailing list.

Thank you for taking an interest in our work. Stay safe – and we look forward to welcoming you back to the museum in real life one day soon.

FORWARD TO A FRIEND
And finally
“On Howth Head
the sky is my big blue hat,
still bright around the rim
although the world begins
to dress down for evening."

–  from Haute Couture, by Katherine Duffy
https://www.facebook.com/littlemuseumdub/
https://twitter.com/littlemuseumdub
https://www.instagram.com/littlemuseumdub/
https://www.littlemuseum.ie/
The Little Museum of Dublin is a registered charity. Founded in 2011, our mission is to create a world-class museum experience that personifies the history, humour and hospitality of Dublin.

The Little Museum of Dublin, 15 St Stephen's Green, Dublin 2, Ireland

Copyright © 2020 Little Museum of Dublin, All rights reserved.
Our mailing address is: rob...@littlemuseum.ie
--
Studio NI: Promoting Arts and Culture in the North of Ireland since 2004. NIC101100