Applications for Women X Borders 2020, our Spring Open Day and more

Irish Writers Centre

Jan 15, 2020, 12:07:14 PM1/15/20
to studionort...@gmail.com
Attention writers! we are again seeking women writers resident in the Republic of Ireland to take part in our literary readathon.
View this email in your browser
A Chairde,

We hope you all are safe and well after a blustery few days with Storm Brendan. Here at the Irish Writers Centre, we are getting ready for a busy few months of courses and events, starting with our upcoming Spring Open Day on Saturday 25 January.

Our Spring Open Day is a perfect opportunity for anyone looking to explore the Irish Writers Centre and all we have to offer. You'll have the chance to tour our stately Georgian building, get insights about our upcoming Novel Fair from a previous judge, and drop in on a professional development session

We'll also be running a couple of free taster workshops on the day with Stephen Walsh and Aiden O'Reilly. Those signed up for the free taster workshops will also get a 10% discount on Stephen and Aiden's longer Spring 2020 workshops if they register with us on the day.

If your 2020 resolutions included better communication for business and your own work, take a look at Writing for a Digital Audience with Lorraine Griffin. Participants will learn how to create traffic-generating and targeted content with a digital and content marketing expert. Looking to try something new in the new decade? Check out Joanna Walsh's one-day Autofiction workshop, where participants can explore this genre-defying form, blurring the real with the invented.

Calling all women writers! Applications are now open for our WomenXBorders 2020 readathon. As part of this award winning event, we are again seeking women writers resident in the Republic of Ireland to take part in our literary readathon. Readers will each have 3 minutes to read their work. Applications should be submitted through this form.

Slán go fóill,

The team at the Irish Writers Centre

Creating Screenplays for Short Films with Stephen Walsh
Each evening will begin with an introduction to one of the keys to developing stories  with the second part of the class devoted to deploying those tricks of the trade in the workshopping of short scripts which participants will create themselves.
Starts: Mon 3 February (10 weeks)

A Novel Approach with David Butler
A successful writer must read widely, and then get writing. Participants on this ten-week course will be doing plenty of both. Along with your own works-in-progress, we'll look at examples of successful writing.
Starts: Tues 4 February (10 weeks)

The Writers' Workbench with Aiden O'Reilly
Writing is a craft and this course puts a whole toolbox of techniques and styles at your service. After trying out a few of them, each student will find what works best for their purposes.
Starts: Thurs 6 February (6 weeks)

Focus your Form: Short Stories with Jan Carson
Interested in writing short stories? Struggling to know where to start? This three week course facilitated by Belfast based writer Jan Carson will guide you through the basics of writing imaginative and engaging short stories.
Starts: Mon 17 February (3 weeks)

Something Borrowed, Something New with Christodoulos Makris
This is a course encouraging innovative approaches to writing: responding directly to our contemporary content-sharing culture, it will explore in practical terms ways in which this is altering all forms of literature.
Starts: Thurs 5 March (8 weeks)

What's On

Saturday 25 January 2020
10.30am-4.00pm
Irish Writers Centre

One-to-One Mentoring

Are you struggling to complete your novel or could you use a trained eye to help you finish your book of poetry? Have you got a film script underway that needs a professional point of view, or perhaps you’re working to complete a collection of short fiction? The Irish Writers Centre has developed a panel of mentors, published authors and industry professionals to help you make your writing as good as it can be.

Read more about One-to-One Mentoring >>>

IWC Membership

Whether you're taking a writing course, attending literary events, looking for a quiet space to work on your writing or demonstrating your support for the Centre's work and the literary arts in Ireland, we have a membership option for you. Our tiered membership structure offers great value with AssociateProfessional Friends memberships to choose from.

For more information see our Membership page and find the option that's right for you.
Website
Website
Twitter
Twitter
Email
Email
Facebook
Facebook
Instagram
Instagram
YouTube
YouTube
Copyright © 2020 Irish Writers Centre, All rights reserved.
You have been signed up to receive this newsletter.

Our mailing address is:
Irish Writers Centre
19 Parnell Square
Dublin 1