Are video game movies the worst type of movie adaptations?

Stephen Follows

May 20, 2019, 5:06:39 AM5/20/19
to studionort...@gmail.com
Stephen Follows - Film data and education

Hi

It's been a crazy, wet week here in Cannes. I fly back in a couple of days, with tales of sodden shoes, mediocre movies and costly coffees. Fortunately, I managed to grab a few quick moments to research today's new article.

The recent release of Detective Pikachu has prompted some readers to get in touch and ask about the quality of movies based on video games.

I looked at all movies released since 1993 (the year of the first video game adaptation) to find out how they stack up.

You can read what I found here https://stephenfollows.com/are-video-game-movies-the-worst-type-of-movie-adaptations/

Until next week,

Stephen
TODAY'S NEW ARTICLE ON STEPHENFOLLOWS.COM

A quick look at the number, scale and success of movies based on video games.

Plus a deeper dive into the quality of such movies, and how they stack up against other script sources.

https://stephenfollows.com/are-video-game-movies-the-worst-type-of-movie-adaptations/

FILM DATA DIGEST
Articles, reports and news from the past seven days

The service hasn’t even launched yet, and it’s not supposed to for another year. But Quibi, which is named after the phrase "quick bite" for the types of easily digestible video content it aims to produce, plans to raise an additional $1 billion, on top of the $1 billion it already has, to get its service properly funded to get off the ground

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/15/18627037/quibi-funding-2-billion-netflix-disney-cost-of-competition

"The world has changed in the last two or three years," said Wild Bunch sales head Vincent Maraval, whose company sold "Capernaum" at Cannes, during an interview at his office in Paris last week. "For foreign-language films, the U.S. has always been a very minor market. Today, China is more of a priority."

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/05/china-box-office-capernaum-cannes-2019-1202140183/

Cannes' artistic director Thierry Fremaux faced questions about the number of female directors – four – with pictures in competition. He told reporters that under-representation of women is an issue that goes beyond Cannes. Overall, the selection for the 72nd edition of the festival features 15 female filmmakers.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/cannes-film-festival-gender-equality-statistics-2019-1203213010/

The first tranche of recovered funds from the multibillion-dollar scandal have been returned. The 1MBD scandal, in which an estimated $4.5 billion was illegally siphoned out of Malaysia and used to finance extravagant lifestyles and purchase luxury properties in New York and L.A., artwork, private jets, yachts and even a major foray into Hollywood, appears to be reaching its own endgame.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/us-returns-seized-wolf-wall-street-millions-malaysia-1208292

On Tuesday, Disney and Comcast jointly announced that Disney will seize full operational control of Hulu, effective immediately. Following its acquisition of Fox, Disney had controlled a majority of stakes in Hulu—but until today, a third of the company was still under the stewardship of Comcast. Within five years, the agreement stipulates, Comcast can require Disney to buy out its share of Hulu for a minimum price of $5.8 billion—but Disney can also compel Comcast, which owns its 33 percent share through its acquisition of NBCUniversal, to sell for its fair market value on that same timeframe.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/05/disney-full-control-hulu-comcast-nbcuniversal-deal

FROM THE ARCHIVES AT STEPHENFOLLOWS.COM

Over the years, I have looked at the originality of modern movies in a few different ways.

I thought it would be interesting to update the key charts and link to the relevant full articles for those who want to know more.

https://stephenfollows.com/the-prevalence-of-sequels-remakes-and-original-movies/

This email was sent to studionort...@gmail.com
© Stephen Follows, Erroneous Wit, Somerset House, London, WC2R 1LA, United Kingdom