How much sexual violence is there in mainstream movies?

Stephen Follows

Jan 21, 2019, 4:57:16 AM1/21/19
to studionort...@gmail.com
Stephen Follows - Film data and education

Hi

Last week, the UK’s film censorship body, the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC), announced new rules on the depiction of sexual violence on screen.

This led me to wonder: how many films would be affected by the change?

To answer the question and to look into levels of sexual violence on the big screen, I turned to the data. You can read what I found here https://stephenfollows.com/sexual-violence-in-mainstream-movies

It’s worth noting that I talk in this article about sexual assault, sexual violence and rape in movies. I do so as sensitively as possible, but if this is a topic you are uncomfortable with then this may be an article to skip.

Next week's article and newsletter will be about a day and a half later than usual, as I'm timing them to coincide with the launch of my new report from Sundance.

Until next week,

Stephen
TODAY'S NEW ARTICLE ON STEPHENFOLLOWS.COM

How many films will be affected by new BBFC rules on depictions of sexual vilonce?

To answer this question and to look into levels of sexual violence on the big screen, I turned to the data.

FILM DATA DIGEST
Articles, reports and news from the past seven days

Scenes of rape and other forms of sexual violence will no longer be allowed in films classified for under-15s in a shake-up of the British ratings system. The British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) will publish new classification guidelines explaining in detail why films get the ratings they are given, from U up to R18. By far the biggest change is around films that include sexual violence and pornography. The board said the changes were a result of a shift in public opinion over the last five years.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jan/16/scenes-rape-banned-uk-films-rated-suitable-under-15s

In this insightful infographic created by Bo McCready we get an interactive look into the history of film genre popularity over the last 100+ years. It’s fascinating to see how genres have developed - some rising, some falling - over the years.

https://nofilmschool.com/Film-Genre-Popularity-Infographic

According to a complaint filed in Vermont, Netflix actively pursued a license but never got one. Chooseco, LLC, the childrens' book publisher that owns the trademark to "Choose Your Own Adventure," has filed a lawsuit against Netflix over the immersive film, Black Mirror: Bandersnatch.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/netflix-sued-exploiting-choose-your-own-adventure-black-mirror-bandersnatch-1175428

The task facing AT&T, Disney and Comcast is a daunting one, requiring deft corporate maneuvering to avert disaster. All three companies have made big bets that the only way to survive and thrive amid the digital disruption is to get bigger, and they’ve used debt, lots of it, to finance their empire building.

https://variety.com/2019/biz/features/att-disney-comcast-debt-1203107407

Observers increasingly believe it is inevitable that the era of bundled streamers is near as households tire of paying an average $107 a month for cable.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/one-fee-netflix-amazon-hulu-digital-tv-bundling-gains-momentum-1174725

FROM THE ARCHIVES AT STEPHENFOLLOWS.COM

I looked at a related topic later year when I studied the levels of sex, drugs and violence in movies as regulated by the US's censorship body, the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA).

https://stephenfollows.com/the-sex-drugs-and-violence-contained-in-mpaa-ratings

This email was sent to studionort...@gmail.com
© Stephen Follows, Erroneous Wit, Somerset House, London, WC2R 1LA, United Kingdom