Is the number of box office flops increasing?

Stephen Follows

Dec 3, 2018, 5:01:21 AM12/3/18
to studionort...@gmail.com
Stephen Follows - Film data and education

Hi

With all the talk of Robin Hood flopping at the box office, I thought I would take a look at what the data says about movies which massively under-perform on the big screen.

You can read today's piece here https://stephenfollows.com/movie-flops

Until next week,

Stephen

P.s. Each Christmas, I try to tackle something a little lighter than usual. This year, I'm thinking of building a data-focused method for determining a movie's "Christmas quotient". This is in a bid to answer the eternal question of whether Die Hard is a Christmas movie or not...

I need some help deciding what aspects should go into determining each movie's score. The data points need to be things I can track without watching each movie and having to make subjective decisions (i.e. does the movie feel Christmassy?) If you have any ideas, reply to this email with your thoughts. I'll send mince pies to whoever gives the best suggestion!

And while we're at it, are there any other seasonal topics you'd like me to cover?

TODAY'S NEW ARTICLE ON STEPHENFOLLOWS.COM

The recent high profile failures of London Fields and Robin Hood has led to an increase in journalists discussing the "trend" of movie flops.

I turned to the data to see what's really going on at the bottom end of movie releases.

https://stephenfollows.com/movie-flops

FILM DATA DIGEST
Articles, reports and news from the past seven days

Lionsgate’s "Robin Hood" is turning out to be this year’s biggest blockbuster bomb, with a $14 million five-day opening against a budget of just under $100 million.

https://www.thewrap.com/robin-hood-biggest-blockbuster-bomb-of-2018

The Netflix effect across the entertainment business has taken root in deep and meaningful ways this year. The turmoil caused by Netflix’s meteoric rise is all that media moguls could talk about last month during their annual conclave at the Allen & Co. conference in Sun Valley, Idaho. "Just look at the state of our business," one prominent CEO observed, with equal parts fear and wonder in his voice.

https://variety.com/2018/digital/features/media-streaming-services-netflix-disney-comcast-att-1202910463/

The UK’s Independent Cinema Office, the body supporting independent cinemas, film festivals and exhibitors, has published the results from a survey about the future of indie cinema. On the key improvements to be made to the sector, 34% of respondents wanted to see greater programming ambition and diversity, 13% accessible pricing/membership schemes, 12% greater commitment to audience experience, 10% improved venue inclusivity, 9% more community outreach, 6% more innovation, 5% better distribution terms, 5% more funding support, 4% more independent venues and just 2% said increased diversity of the workforce.

https://www.screendaily.com/news/exhibitors-want-more-programming-ambition-says-uk-independent-cinema-report/5134884.article

Paramount and A24 agreeing to produce original films for the digital giants represents an about-face in the traditional pecking order and signals a major shift in the entertainment industry.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/apple-netflix-reshaping-studio-hierarchy-paramount-a24-deals-1163992

Rebellion, one of Europe’s leading media companies, has bought a $100m, 220,000 sq ft facility to convert into a film studio near to its Oxford headquarters. And it could mean they'll be bringing more of our favourite games and comic books to the silver screen in the future.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/gaming/744637/Rebellion-open-new-100m-film-studio-to-develop-films-and-TV-based-on-its-games-comic-IP

FROM THE ARCHIVES AT STEPHENFOLLOWS.COM

Even movies which don't flop can sometimes not fully recoup - and as we saw in today's main article, some domestic flops can go on to gross extremely well internationally.

Here is an article from a few years ago which goes into the topic of movie profitabity in much more detail:

https://stephenfollows.com/hollywood-movies-make-a-profit

This email was sent to studionort...@gmail.com
© Stephen Follows, Erroneous Wit, Somerset House, London, WC2R 1LA, United Kingdom