What we learn about inclusive practice goes beyond our sector

Jane Ide, CEO Creative & Cultural Skills

Apr 14, 2021, 5:00:32 AM4/14/21
to StudioNort...@gmail.com
How can our sector become an exemplar to others?

What we learn about inclusive practice goes beyond our sector

Fair access to careers in the cultural sector is something we have been working tirelessly to champion. Our sector is still rife with unpaid internships and recruitment strategies that require higher-education qualifications for entry-level work - and we're not the only one.

Reading time: 3 minutes
We’ve spoken before – and will continue to do so – about the inequalities that someone with a disadvantaged background will face when trying to progress in the creative industries. Whether that’s the countless offers of unpaid internships that are unaffordable to those unable to work for free, or poor recruitment practices that fuel unconscious bias and lead to more hires of ‘people like us’ this is unfair, immoral and bad for the sector.

But the cultural sector is not alone in these practices, and the lessons we learn about fair access can help educate and empower others. From April, we’re excited to be delivering a suite of training sessions on behalf of The National Archives. Staff at CCSkills will be delivering what we know about apprenticeships, volunteering, working with freelancers, recruitment, diversity and inclusivity. We hope that this will support growth in the archives sector and help it develop a more diverse range of talent.

For our sector, we’re moving ahead with the Creative Kickstart programme, which can provide hundreds of young people with paid employment across the UK’s cultural sector. As well as the potential life-changing employment to its participants, we will work with our partners to challenge the way the sector thinks about recruitment. We're also celebrating the success of our recent Discover! Creative Careers and Creative Careers Programme activities in England and Wales, which has reached over 120,000 young people during the past twelve months.

The cultural sector has not enjoyed a reputation as the most diverse or equitable sector, but it has shown itself to be capable of rapid change, and there is every chance that it can use the upheaval of this pandemic to transform an industry that reflects and speaks to our society, and become an exemplar to others.

Jane Ide OBE, CEO, Creative & Cultural Skills
Get in touch with us
Website
Email
Twitter
LinkedIn
Facebook
Instagram

We're launching a new podcast - here's a sneak preview!

We're thrilled to bring you a preview of our brand-new podcast ahead of its official launch next month.

In our first series, we'll be chatting to professionals and hearing from young people at the start of their careers, to explore the impacts and opportunities that have arisen from the pandemic.

Take a listen to our preview episode and let us know what you think.
Find out more
An image of a female student with headphones, courtesy of Tyneside Cinema

'I would like to congratulate the team for deservedly winning CDI’s UK Careers Development Award for Innovative Employer Engagement for this excellent work.'
UK Government Culture Minister Caroline Dinenage responds to our recent award-win and the impact of our work, as we celebrate reaching over 120,000 young people in the last twelve months.

Find out more

On Friday 19th March 2021 we were pleased to host 120 students and staff from across the UK for an online session with BBC Introducing's Gemma Bradley, Angelle Joseph, and Adam Winch-Furness.

Lessons from BBC Introducing: How to get started in music radio

Find out more

The Museums Association is supporting the government’s #KickstartScheme and our sector by offering 50% off essential membership for individuals on Kickstart museum placements across the UK.
Access this offer if your organisation has created placements.

Find out more

Articles we've read

'We thought we'd be back in weeks': behind the scenes at the locked down V&A

Iain Munro, CEO of Creative Scotland: Covid-19, one year on

Missing the story: the UK media’s neglect of Further Education

Website
Twitter
LinkedIn
Facebook

Creative & Cultural Skills supports the UK cultural sector by shaping skills, education and employment best practice. We provoke action and enable learning opportunities that drive change and help to build an inclusive skilled sector.

You have received this email by signing up to our website. We will bring you news, stories and campaign updates from the creative and cultural industries. If you want to opt out of receiving this, you can unsubscribe at any time.

Creative and Cultural Industries Ltd is registered in England as Charity no. 1105974 and Company no. 05122855.