IWC Open Day, Autumn Courses, and Culture Night 2019

Irish Writers Centre

Sep 11, 2019, 11:42:59 AM9/11/19
to studionort...@gmail.com
View this email in your browser
A Chairde,

We're almost halfway through September which means that here at the IWC we're getting ready to kick things off with our Autumn courses. Our lineup promises something for writers of all descriptions, so be sure to check out some of the upcoming opportunities.

Yvonne Cullen will be here next week to begin her To Tell the Truth: 8-Week Starter Kit, a perfect opportunity for budding nonfiction writers to get started. If YA fiction is more within your wheelhouse, you can check out Anna Carey's Teenage Kicks: Writing Young Adult Fiction which will be geared towards anyone with a strong interest in the genre. Finally, next week writer and editor Ciarán Marcantonio will be starting his 6-week course on Comics and the Graphic Novel, be sure to check it out while spaces last.

Aspiring novelists should be aware that the deadline for applications for the 2020 Novel Fair is fast approaching, with just a little over 2 weeks to get manuscripts in! Have a look here for more on how you can apply for what has been called the "Dragon's Den for writers".

If you're interested in Novel Fair but still a bit unsure about the application process, come along to our Open Day this Saturday 14 September, where former judge Anthony Glavin will be running a Novel Fair information session. Our Open Day is a great opportunity to get a flavour of some of the opportunities available here at the IWC. This year, our very own Kiki Drost will be running a presentation for professional writers, and New Irish Communities facilitator Mark Granier will be here giving a taster session for those who want to learn more about the writing group.

Culture Night 2019 promises to be an exciting night at the Centre, we'll be kicking things off here with our annual tour of the building's art collection, donated by the late Frank X Buckley. The IWC is home to one the most impressive collections of contemporary artworks and the tour will be led this year by Jack Gilligan. We'll continue the evening with a showcase by our Young Writer Delegates and finish up with Holy Show's Rambling House with readings from Roisín KiberdIan Maleney and Caelainn Hogan.

Slán anois,

The team at the Irish Writers Centre
To Tell the Truth 8-Week Starter Kit with Yvonne Cullen
Turning true stories into written work that sings: an immersive course in non-fiction of all sorts -memoir, essay, historical writing and creative non-fiction with a bonus dip into poetry's own form of truth-telling!
Starts: Mon 16 Sep (8 weeks)

Comics and the Graphic Novel with Ciarán Marcantonio:
Everything you need to know to independently create and publish your own comic, from structuring a script to working with collaborating artists, colourists, letterers and editors.
Starts: Wed 18 Sept 2019 (6 weeks)

Introduction to Screenwriting for Film & TV with Lindsay Sedgwick:
Screenwriting is the tightest, trickiest medium, but also one of the most satisfying and exciting forms of writing. This course will look at what an idea needs to work for the screen, how to develop characters that will pull us in and keep us in the world you’ve created, and how to structure a script from the individual scene through to the finished script and all the elements in between.
Starts: Wed 18 Sept 2019 (8 weeks)

Propel: This Writing Life with Catherine Dunne:
This Writing Life offers unique insights into the challenges and routines of being a full-time writer and includes exercises to unlock creativity. Catherine is an award-winning author and has facilitated Creative Writing Workshops both at home and abroad.
Starts: Sat 21 Sept 2019 (1 Day)

Teenage Kicks, Writing Young Adult Fiction with Anna Carey:
In this six week course Anna Carey will guide students through the process of writing YA fiction, exploring everything from finding an authentic teenage voice to choosing the perfect literary genre, from structuring a plot to working with an editor.
(Starts: Wed 7 Oct 2019 (6 weeks)

Writing for Animation with Dee Rycroft:
You will explore the wacky and wonderful world of writing for animation. From dreaming up a pitch, to elaborating an outline, crafting your first draft, and your second, and your third… You'll look at the pitfalls and possibilities and how to navigate the do’s and don’ts of writing cartoons.
Starts Tues 8 Oct 2019 (8 weeks)

Opportunities

Novel Fair 2020

Described by The Irish Times as a Dragon's Den for writers, the Novel Fair is an opportunity to bypass the slush pile and get your manuscript into the hands of publishers and agents. More details here and don't forget to read the T&Cs.

Deadline: Fri 27 Sept at 5pm
Jack Harte Bursary 2020

The Irish Writers Centre and the Tyrone Guthrie Centre at Annaghmakerrig have come together again to offer a two-week fully resourced Writer-in-Residence Bursary to take place in spring 2020.

Deadline: Thu 26 Sept at 5pm
IWC/DBF Young Writer Delegates 2019

We invite ambitious young writers aged 18-26 to apply for this extraordinary opportunity to attend and contribute to Dublin Book Festival as IWC/DBF Young Writer Delegates.

Deadline: Thu 19 Sept at 5pm

One-to-One Mentoring

Are you struggling to complete your novel or could you use a trained eye to help you finish your book of poetry? Have you got a film script underway that needs a professional point of view, or perhaps you’re working to complete a collection of short fiction? The Irish Writers Centre has developed a panel of mentors, published authors and industry professionals to help you make your writing as good as it can be.

Read more about One-to-One Mentoring >>>

IWC Membership

Whether you're taking a writing course, attending literary events, looking for a quiet space to work on your writing or demonstrating your support for the Centre's work and the literary arts in Ireland, we have a membership option for you. Our tiered membership structure offers great value with AssociateProfessional Friends memberships to choose from.

For more information see our Membership page and find the option that's right for you.
Website
Website
Twitter
Twitter
Email
Email
Facebook
Facebook
Instagram
Instagram
YouTube
YouTube
Copyright © 2019 Irish Writers Centre, All rights reserved.
You have been signed up to receive this newsletter.

Our mailing address is:
Irish Writers Centre
19 Parnell Square
Dublin 1