Wasafiri February Newsletter

Wasafiri

Feb 15, 2019, 1:53:40 PM2/15/19
to StudioNort...@gmail.com
Wasafiri is hiring, and the Queen Mary Wasafiri New Writing Prize is now open to entries!
Wasafiri Issue 96 is out now.
View this email in your browser
This month, Wasafiri underwent some website changes to make it easier for you to browse our online articles. You can now check out all of our Fiction, Poetry and Articles under the 'Read' section of www.wasafiri.org. We also launched the 2019 Queen Mary Wasafiri New Writing Prize, and thanks to sponsorship from Queen Mary we have increased this year's prize sum from £300 to £1,000 in our tenth year of the prize.
The 2019 Queen Mary Wasafiri New Writing Prize is now open for submissions!

The prize was launched ten years ago to support new writers, with no limits on age, gender, nationality or background. In this birthday year we are excited to announce that we are increasing each prize sum from £300 to £1,000. This increased value means that the prize can make a more meaningful difference for the winning writers’ careers.

This year our judges include Louise Doughty, who will be judging the fiction, Warsan Shire, who will be judging the poetry, and Nikesh Shukla, who will be judging the life writing category. Wasafiri Editor-in-Chief Susheila Nasta will chair the judging panel.

The winners of each category will be published by Wasafiri in print and online and receive a £1,000 cash prize. They will also be offered the Chapter and Verse or Free Reads mentoring scheme in partnership with The Literary Consultancy (dependent on eligibility). The prize winners will be announced on 9 November 2019.
Click here to enter
Apply for the position of Editor and Publishing Director at Wasafiri by February 17th!
Wasafiri is seeking to recruit a dynamic Editor and Publishing Director to take over responsibility for the magazine and the leadership of the organisation from Founding Editor and Editor in Chief, Susheila Nasta. You will play a key role in shaping the magazine’s future vision, take the lead in delivering its publishing and arts programme for a new generation of readers and writers and grow its established publishing and digital profile both within and outside the UK.
Click here to apply
Wasafiri Special Issue 96 'Korea: Divisions and Borders' to launch at the Korean Cultural Centre on February 21st
Guest-edited by Phillip Kim and Krys Lee, their editorial begins, 'South Korea’s transformation as a country over the past seventy years has been nothing short of astonishing, and the nation now ranks amongst the world’s most advanced societies and largest economies. The North Korean population, meanwhile, has long suffered under one of the world’s most brutal and reclusive totalitarian regimes. The stark dichotomy between the two nations sets up psychic and social tensions that exist nowhere else in the world. For storytellers and journalists, the narratives that arise from the dramatic contrast are unique, poignant and compelling.'

In association with the Korean Cultural Centre and the Literature Translation Institute of Korea. If you missed out on tickets to the launch on Eventbrite, Issue 96 is available to purchase through our online shop here
More on www.wasafiri.org

Fiction: Last Evening’s Call with Mother
by Melusi Nkomo

A phone call brings back memories from the past. Shortlisted for the Wasafiri New Writing Prize 2018 in the ‘Fiction’ Category.

Read more

Life Writing: Mountain of the Night
by Jo Jackson

A woman returns to her childhood home in Zimbabwe. With the house seemingly frozen in time, she’s prompted to revisit memories of her past. Shortlisted for the 2018 Wasafiri New Writing Prize ‘Life Writing’ category.

Read more

Poetry: Babes in the Wood
by Maeve Henry

A tender look at one pair’s journey from the Middle East across Europe, with dreams of England. ‘Babes in the Wood’ was shortlisted for the 2018 Wasafiri New Writing Prize in the ‘Poetry’ category.

Read more

Fiction: The Window
by Nicki Frith

Set over the 2017 general election, a shopkeeper discovers, with morbid consequences, that she can attract customers by dedicating her window display to the daily news. Shortlisted for the 2018 Wasafiri New Writing Prize.

Read more

Facebook
Twitter
Website
YouTube
Email
Copyright © 2018 Wasafiri Magazine, All rights reserved.

unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences