Do you enjoy getting a peek into forthcoming novels?

Dianne Ascroft

Feb 15, 2019, 4:39:33 PM2/15/19
to studionort...@gmail.com
Can't see images? Click here...

Hello, and a warm welcome to old and new readers alike. As I promised in my Groundhog Day extra update, I’m sending you my monthly newsletter mid-month as usual. Did you have a chance to read your fill of romantic novels to celebrate Valentine’s Day this week? Besides chocolate, I can’t think of a better way to enjoy the day (well, there may be one or two others but they require a partner).

To celebrate, I enjoyed the Stones of Heart Falls books, a sweet cowboy romance series by Vivian Arend. I especially enjoyed the stories because they are set in my home country, Canada. Vivian really brought the characters to life and I enjoyed the books so much that I'll keep an eye out for new books by her. Like all holidays, the day all too swiftly passed. Now I’m back to reality as I finish revising my new novella, Out of Options. It will shortly go to the editor for a final edit so that it will be available this spring. In the subject heading for this email I asked whether you enjoy tasters for forthcoming books - I hope you do. Last month I gave you a sneak peek into the first chapter of the unedited Out of Options novella. Would you like another one?

Okay, here goes:

Out of Options excerpt, Chapter 2:

“Lois slowly retraced her steps up the path to the sidewalk, disappointed that Beth wasn’t at home. She would really like to hear about her friend’s discovery. But it seemed she wasn’t in luck; she would have to revert to her original plan to phone her friend tonight. Hopefully Beth would be home by then. As Lois turned to trudge back to Annette Street, she remembered that Beth’s niece Amy lived on a side street that intersected this one, a couple blocks south of Beth’s house. Lois didn’t know Amy well but she had spoken to her occasionally at the historical society meetings, and she knew that Beth and her niece were close. Beth might have dropped by her niece’s house to chat with her about the mysterious discovery. Although it was getting close to supper time, she was sure it wouldn’t be rude to drop by just for a couple minutes to enquire whether Amy had seen Beth today.

     Lois spun around and headed toward Amy’s street. Once she reached the street, she slowed as she approached a narrow two storey house midway along it. A squeaking noise, followed by the sound of metal scraping wood, drew her attention to the upper storey balcony of the house. As she listened, footsteps thudded across the balcony to the wooden railing.

     A woman with sandy brown hair, in her late twenties, leaned forward to peer down at her, resting one hand on the thick railing as she spoke. “Oh, hello, Lois! I thought that was you I saw coming along the street.”

     “Hi Amy.” Lois hoped the young woman wouldn’t lean too far out over the low railing. The white painted posts that supported it didn’t look very sturdy and it made Lois nervous to watch her.

     “Just a sec. I’ll come down.”

     Lois was relieved when Amy stepped back from the railing. Footsteps retreated across the balcony as the younger woman disappeared into the house; the screen door banged closed behind her.

     A few seconds later Amy appeared in the doorway downstairs, holding the door open wide. “Come in.”

     “Oh, no. I’m not staying long. I don’t want to interrupt your supper.”

     “Don’t worry about that. When I got in I just flopped on the balcony to unwind for a little while before I even think about supper.” Amy indicated a couple wicker chairs on the porch. “Have a seat. Would you like a cold drink?”

     “No, I’m fine. Like I said, I won’t stay long.” Lois perched on the chair furthest from the door, leaving the other one for Amy.

     “What can I do for you then?”

     “I wondered if you’d seen your aunt Beth today?”

     Amy shook her head. “No. When I got off the subway tonight I came straight home. I was thinking about dropping by her place later though. Why do you ask?”

     “Beth arranged to meet me for lunch today. She said she wanted to tell me about something she had discovered at the Payne house but she wouldn’t give me the details over the phone.”

     “Oh, that sounds interesting. I wonder what she found?”

     Lois shrugged. “I don’t know ’cause she didn’t meet me. I phoned her this afternoon to find out what happened but didn’t get any answer. I called round to her house a few minutes ago too but she’s still not home. Then I thought she might have stopped by here.”

     “Oh.” Amy pursed her lips then exhaled slowly. “I thought it was just last night. I don’t like the sound of this.”

     Lois peered at her. “What?”

     “Aunt Beth was meeting Shelley – Shelley Carter – from your library book club last night. They sometimes go out for dinner.”

     “A nice evening with food, chat and lots of good wine. Sounds fun.”

     “Yeah, something like that but a bit more subdued. They just go to one of the local restaurants down on Bloor Street. In the dry area. No wine. They have a good chat and they aren’t usually home late. But last night I phoned Aunt Beth around ten o’clock and she didn’t answer.”

     “Maybe, with the milder weather, she sat outside for a while. Or maybe she was in the bathroom.”

     “No, she doesn’t sit outside that late and I tried again just before eleven. She never goes to bed before then. But I still didn’t get her. I was busy at work today and didn’t get a chance to try again. I told myself that there was probably some good reason I couldn’t get her last night so I didn’t worry about it too much. Like I said, I was planning to go over there in a while just to check that everything’s okay. But now that I know she didn’t meet you at lunch and she’s not home yet either I’m getting worried.”

     “Well, she might have forgotten she said she’d meet me and went somewhere else.”

     Amy shook her head. “It’s not like Aunt Beth to forget and she’d be home by now. She’s going to her friend’s cottage in Haliburton tomorrow morning to help her open it up for the summer. So she wouldn’t be out anywhere this evening. She’d be at home getting ready to go.” Amy’s brow furrowed into a tight frown. “Oh, I hope she’s okay.”

     Lois tried to smile reassuringly at the other woman. She had stopped by because she been keen to find out what the news was that Beth had to tell her. It hadn’t occurred to her that something might be wrong but now she was also getting concerned. What could have happened to her friend? Was she ill and inside the house, unable to answer the door? Why didn’t she think of that possibility when she was there? But everything had looked normal. There wasn’t any reason to be concerned.

     “Have you got a spare key to your aunt’s house?”

     “Yeah.”

     “Well, let’s go over there and check on her. There’s probably a simple explanation.”

Are you wondering what’s happened to Beth? Don’t worry, you’ll soon be able to find out as Out of Options will be available this spring.

In the meantime, are you looking to add to your tbr pile?

Keeping on the theme of love, there’s a Sexy and Sweet Valentine’s Day Romance Giveaway that runs until 28th February. Whatever your taste: sweet, steamy, or sexy - there’s something for everyone. My Second World War short story, Do Wishes Come True, is one of the free offerings in this giveaway. It’s definitely a sweet love story but, if you want to increase the heat, there are others in the giveaway that sizzle. Click here to find out more: https://claims.prolificworks.com/gg/eOSiZ8Y3tM0umv4lGgFP

Featuring a different kind of love, National Love Your Pet Day Cozy Mystery Giveaway celebrates our relationships with our pets with cozy mysteries that have a pet theme. For 20th-21st February only, drop by this page and grab some animal themed stories to brighten up your week. Click here: https://claims.prolificworks.com/gg/mTfdl63mgrA9A9jrAkTp

And staying with the theme of animals, throughout February you can enjoy pet themed cozy mysteries in the Animals Cozy Mystery Giveaway. Click here to find out more: https://claims.prolificworks.com/gg/62QXAEpGvvVecWVRtk27

If historical fiction is where your passion lies, Allies After All, my novella which was first published in Pearl Harbor and More: December 1941 – Stories of WWII is still free on several online sites. It’s a standalone story and also a great introduction to The Yankee Years books.

Here’s some of the places you can find the novella:

Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/allies-after-all

Barnes and Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/allies-after-all-dianne-ascroft/1129901760?ean=2940156212903

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Allies-After-All-Yankee-novella-ebook/dp/B07KKDH2RK

Last time I wrote, I mentioned that a Reading Log or Reading Journal is a great way to record your thoughts about the books you’ve read and maybe jot down your review so that you can post it to book sites if you wish. To help readers keep track of what they’ve read, I’ve designed several Reading Logs with covers that will appeal to a variety of readers – general covers as well as historical fiction and cozy mystery themed ones. You can see the range of reading logs here: https://www.amazon.com/s?i=stripbooks&rh=p_27%3AWhimsical+World+Pages&s=relevancerank&text=Whimsical+World+Pages&ref=dp_byline_sr_book_1

There’s one of the Cozy Mystery themed Reading Logs that, due to a glitch on Amazon’s search engine, rarely ever shows up in searches for books in the collection. It’s my favourite cover so this is rather frustrating but I haven’t been able to get Amazon to sort it out yet. That's the cover to the left. Online you can find it here: https://www.amazon.com/Cozy-Read-Reading-Whimsical-World/dp/1795494603/

NOTE: Under Whimsical World Pages where the reading logs are listed, you’ll also find notebooks and travel journals. If you wish to order a reading log, check the title to be sure the book you are looking at is a reading log rather than one of the notebooks or travel journals (you are welcome to browse the others too, of course!).

I hope you’ve found something interesting in history, mystery or romance in this newsletter. Now it’s time for me to get back to editing my novella, Out of Options, and getting it ready to release. I’ll be back the middle of next month with news and more offers that I think may interest you. I’ll also pop in briefly the first week of March with an extra update to tell you about something I’ve been working on for International Women’s Day on 8th March and to share a free historical story I wrote for International Women's Day.

Meanwhile, happy reading!

Dianne Ascroft

Author of history, mystery and romance in the twentieth century

www.dianneascroft.com

Brookeborough

Northern Ireland
United Kingdom

SHARE TWEET FORWARD

You received this email because you either signed up for Dianne's newsletter or downloaded one of her stories from Bookfunnel or Instafreebie.

Unsubscribe

MailerLite