May Newsletter 2021

James Joyce Centre

May 1, 2021, 6:38:05 AM5/1/21
to Studionort...@gmail.com
View this email in your browser

Newsletter May 2021

‘Hidden under wild ferns on Howth below us bay sleeping’

'PEPETTE' SHORT FILM PREMIERE

'Pepette' from Finnegan's Wake - May 4th, 2021, 1pm Irish Time

To celebrate the 82nd anniversary of the publication of Finnegans Wake, the James Joyce Centre with Joyceborough will present the online premiere of 'Pepette' a new short film by Luke Brabazon featuring Janet Moran. We are delighted that Lord Mayor of Dublin, Hazel Chu will be our guest of honour for our zoom presentation. This short film has been created with the support of the North East Inner City Regeneration fund.

Register Here
BLOOMSDAY CALL-OUT
“Scarlatina, influenza epidemics. Canvassing for death. Don’t miss this
chance”
(U 6:124-25).

Once again the Bloomsday Festival will go online in 2021, but we will be sure to make it as fun and entertaining as always! We would love to hear about your Bloomsday events wherever you are in the world. We aim to get as many of your events up on our Bloomsday 2021 website as possible. Please contact us at - Bloo...@jamesjoyce.ie or fill out the Online Programme Submission Form

Submission Form
CHRISTINE O'NEILL LECTURE

We were thrilled to have Dr. Christine O'Neill deliver her lecture Colourful Creations in Joyce and Bosch this past month. This was  the final talk in our spring lecture series. The works of James Joyce and Hieronymus Bosch are famous for their inventiveness and colourful creations and both draw on biblical stories and late medieval imagery. This talk explores some shared visionary elements, track some intriguing animal-like creatures, contemplate the Four Last Things, and descend into the vibrant hells of Joyce and Bosch.

Watch a recording of Dr. O'Neill's lecture at the link below!

Watch Now!

MAY MASTERCLASSES
from Yeats Society, Sligo

This month we are featuring some great short masterclasses on literary writing, poetry, drama and memoir, presented by our friends in the Yeats Society Sligo.

Featuring award winning writers; Elaine Feeney, Mikel Murfi, Jessica Traynor and Arnold Thomas Fanning!

Details and Booking
ULYSSES FANTASY FOOTBALL –
WOMAN'S ELEVEN
This month, Senan Molony introduces us to The Fantasy Ladies’ Ulysses Football team. It is challenged by having to select from a far smaller playing pool than the men. Nonetheless, we have some very dedicated members willing to show a leg. Operating a conservative 4:5:1 system owing to frailty at the back, the side hopes to profit from the counter-attack, with some adventurous sallies and a hope that star centre forward Molly Bloom can somehow get on the end of things.
Read More
SUPPORT FOR THE JAMES JOYCE CENTRE
 At this difficult time for literary and cultural centres, your donation helps support our year-round programme of events, exhibitions, outreach and educational activities and the annual Bloomsday Festival. The James Joyce Centre is a registered educational charity. Thank you so much to those who have already donated!
Donate!
Twitter
Facebook
Website
YouTube
Copyright © 2021 James Joyce Centre, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
The James Joyce Centre,
35 North Great George’s Street,
Dublin 1, Ireland