Is Screenwriting Goldmine over?

1 view

Philip Gladwin

Feb 7, 2019, 12:31:50 PM2/7/19
to Stu Dio
Hi Stu,

I started Screenwriting Goldmine twelve years ago, in the Spring and Summer of 2007, and we’ve been through so much since then.

Forums, blogs, strange utilities that scraped the web to list screenwriting jobs from around the world, downloadable PDFs. Interviews with American websites, guest articles, events booked across the UK. Video courses syndicated to other websites. Competitions, seminars, guest speakings, on and on.

But recently we've been contracting.

Recently I’ve shut down our annual contest, the short script contests, and Open Door.

I’m no longer offering any personal mentor schemes or digital downloads, and I'm turning down guest speaking engagements.

I doubt that we'll do another edition of Connect!

Main reason? I'd started wondering just how helpful all these initiatives actually were.

Plus life moves on, and I'd also been getting more interested in other ventures.

Recently I have even been thinking about closing the Tribe.

That’s not because it’s not helpful. The Tribe is the very best I can do for writers.

But the amount of people involved mean it has super high overheads and so, despite its high-ticket price, it doesn’t generate much profit. (Actually a slight loss on some occasions.)

So it makes clear financial sense to shut it down and move onto other business areas.

But, it turns out, that’s a real issue.

Of all the schemes and ideas I’ve put together in the last twelve years, the Tribe is far and away the best way I’ve ever invented of helping the most writers into the industry.

Simply put, it gets results that my other initiatives could only dream of.

The Tribe is actually what I founded Goldmine to do.

So, it’s been a winter of deep pondering, as I psyched myself up to walk away.

Luckily, reality crashed back in a couple of weeks back. In a pub. As sometimes happens.

Here’s an extract from an email I sent Tribe members as a result.

One Last Hoorah

It’s no secret that the Tribe is not a massive profit-making venture, and that’s why I’ve been thinking that Tribe 5 would have to be the last.

But in the [pub] after the most recent meeting I was kept waiting at the bar for ages while the bar staff sorted out some problem or other.

While I was standing there I looked back over the room at the Tribers over by the windows, and I saw the scene from a distance.

I looked at the writers and guests talking and laughing with each other. How everyone was getting along, how relationships were being built, and doors being opened, there in front of my eyes.

And then I thought about what one of the editors said to me last week about how incredibly special the Tribe is.

I have to be honest - I did have a bit of a moment.

It turned out that Abby had been doing the same.

All the way back to Brighton on the train, all we could talk about was how we LOVE running this thing.

What's more, we’ve heard on the SG Grapevine that you quite like being part of it too.

We in the thick of it are not the only ones. Many of our editors and guests have told us over and over how much they enjoy working with us all, and how highly regarded The Tribe course is in the industry.

In addition to all this love we feel hugely proud to be amongst a massive amount of talent, success, support, experience and fun.

This got us thinking.

We're sure that there are more brilliant writers teetering on the cusp of joining the SG Family - or perhaps some of you may wish to join us again for one last hurrah.

Either way, now that we’re really getting going with it and seeing results it just seems mad to close down!

So should we run one more Tribe?

Phil

The answer was an all-mighty YES, from everyone who has been part of it, both writers involved, and the editors, producers and agents who come along as guests.

A couple of agents and editors delivered this face to face or on the phone, actually taking me to one side to insist the Tribe must live.

I’m so glad I asked!

So we'll do one last hoorah.

We’re launching Tribe 6 now, to begin in April and run for six months.

£5k per seat felt too expensive, so we have a new price – a break-even price.

Even if sells out like Tribe 5, Tribe 6 won’t make any profit - but it will allow us to keep the show on the road, one more time at least.

You can read all about Tribe here.

There’s full information on what happens over the six months.

There are some in-depth videos from people who have already been part of the Tribe.

You can read what people in the industry are saying about it - industry guests who have been along to help us out and who have seen what we do for writers.

And there’s the new price.

Expensive, sure.

Worth it? I believe worth every penny.

Here’s the link again.

(If you have never really noticed the Tribe before and want to get the wider picture and context on why it’s so essential for screenwriters in the UK then grab a coffee and go here.)

Please just reply to this email with any questions. I'll write out again in a day or so with answers.

Best wishes,

Phil

PS. One difference to normal – we’re specifying just three interview days, on the 20th, 21st and 22nd of February, in Brighton and London, after which I will make the decision to run Tribe 6 or not. That's not long, so if you want to join the Tribe now is the moment to apply.

Sent to: studionort...@gmail.com

Unsubscribe

Tradejammer Ltd, Pavilion View, 19 New Road, Brighton, BN1 1EY, United Kingdom