Loads of prizes, loads of great writing — Step inside January at The London Magazine

The London Magazine

Jan 10, 2019, 11:12:41 AM1/10/19
to Stu
View this email in your browser
Hi Stu,

Happy new year from everyone at The London Magazine! It's looking like 2019 will bring a frankly quite daunting amount of activity for us, with literary prizes and book projects coming out of our ears (more on that soon!), not to mention loads of interviews and podcasts with amazing writers and thinkers lined up, and of course, bringing you a lovely magazine each month, as well of loads of other stuff on our website.

So before all of that madness, here's an update from team TLM:

JANUARY SALE!

New year new subscription! We've got some amazing authors, thinkers, artists and exhibitions lined up for the next year, and if you subscribe using the code JANSALE before Monday, you will get 25% off, meaning your subscription works out at about £4 per issue including postage. Which is what, a slightly posh sandwich? Don't buy slightly posh sandwiches, buy The London Magazine instead. It's a really good time to subscribe, trust us. Promise.
Buy Our Magazine Here!
PRIZE UPDATES!
The essay competition that we ran for the second time earlier last year has finally been decided! It was won by Amy Wright for her brilliant essay "Hologram From Milan", which will be published in our April/May edition. A massive thanks to everyone that entered, the shortlist was incredibly strong, and can be found below, along with comments from our judges Nicola Griffith and Pico Iyer.

Also, a huge thanks to everyone who entered our short story prize! We received over 500 entries in the end from all over the world, and will be spending most of January whittling down a shortlist for our judges. The things we do for you.
ESSAY PRIZE RESULTS

DECEMBER / JANUARY ISSUE OUT NOW! (STILL!)

Our December/January issue is very much still available to buy, and as good as the day we printed it:

Featuring an extract from the new novel by Scotland's greatest contemporary writer David Keenan, essays from Suzi Feay on the rise, fall and rise of the mercurial poet Robert Lundquist, the story of BBC journalist Oggy Boytchev escaping the USSR for London at the tale end of the Soviet Union, the winning entries from our poetry prize and much much more, it's an absolute humdinger.
SUBSCRIBE HERE FOR GREAT THINGS

NEW COLLABORATIONS

We don't currently have any prizes of our own in operation right now (for once), but we ARE a partner journal of this excellent international short fiction prize based in Madrid, from which we will be publishing a story later in the year. Winners receive €1000, a consultation with a literary agent, and a stay in one of the most prestigious residencies in Europe, as well as being invited to read at events across Europe, and being published in loads of great journals (like ours).
MORE ON THAT HERE

LEGACY ISSUES

Did you know that we select two back issues to sell mega cheap each month?

This month's back issues are Oct/Nov 2011 and April/May 2012, and feature essays from Will Stone on Egon Schiele, Patrick Mercer on historic rioting, and loads more.

Buy below, £2.50 for one, or £3.50 for both, including postage.
Not bad hey?
BUY HERE

And here's the best in new writing from last month:

Features
Fiction

The Mercedes by Anna Kavan

Reviews
Shitstorm by Fernando Sdrigotti

Krzysztof Gil: Welcome to the Country Where the Gypsy has been Hunted at l’étrangère

The Triumph of Cancer by Chris McCabe

Shapeshifters at The Hayward Gallery

Gustav Klimt & Egon Schiele at the Royal Academy

Charlotte Prodger and Forensic Architecture — The Turner Prize Exhibition at Tate Britain

Hansel and Gretel at the Royal Opera House

Summer and Smoke at The Duke of York Theatre

The Snowman at The Peacock Theatre
Thanks all, see you soon!
Copyright © 2018 The London Magazine, All rights reserved.

The London Magazine
11 Queen's Gate, London SW7 5EL
Tel: 020 7584 5977
in...@thelondonmagazine.org
www.thelondonmagazine.org
unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences

Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest

This email was sent to studionort...@gmail.com
The London Magazine · 11 Queen's Gate · London, London SW7 5EL · United Kingdom