Why Do Authors Cross Out Their Name When Signing Books?

Writer's Digest

Apr 8, 2021, 6:10:22 AM4/8/21
to studionort...@gmail.com
In this issue, discover why some authors cross out their name when signing books, one piece of advice from 21 authors, and more.
Not rendering correctly? View this email as a web page here.
publishing insights

In this issue, discover why some authors cross out their name when signing books, one piece of advice from 21 authors, how much should writers charge for writing, and more!

Why Do Authors Cross Out Their Name When Signing Books?

When I attended my first book signing (for the Market Book series), a fellow editor advised me to cross out my name when signing copies. It's a practice I've kept up since, and I've seen other authors do it as well, but I still wonder, "Why do authors cross out name when signing book?"

Of course, like any well-connected editor, I knew how to get feedback on my question. I took to Facebook with the following query: "Authors! When you sign books, do you cross out the printed name in the book before signing your own? If so, why?"

(21 Authors Share One Piece of Advice for Writers.)

And then, the replies started piling in. Here are a few of the more interesting answers I received. Read the full article...

Craft & Business of Writing

How Much Should Writers Charge?

Recently, I saw a job posting for freelancers "with initiative" to curate content on social media. They were offering up to 75¢ per social post, based on quality and quantity. While 75¢ per Tweet or Instagram post sounds great, most writers would probably find it difficult to create 10 "quality" posts per hour (or every six minutes). If they could, that rate would come out to $7.50 per hour—or just 25¢ better than the national minimum wage and below most state minimum wages.

(When and how should writers negotiate better terms?)

In other words, many serious freelance writers would skip on this job posting. Or if they responded to it, they would try to negotiate a better rate. But how much should writers charge? And how should they determine what an appropriate rate would be?

These are common freelance writing questions. So let's look at how to handle them. Read More...

2021 April PAD Challenge: Day 8

For today's prompt, write a metaphor poem. A simile is when something is like a something else (example: I am like a tree); a metaphor is when something is something else (example: I am a tree). So take a moment to consider possible metaphors and then poem them out. Read More...

100 Common Publishing Terms

I've spent more than two decades in the publishing (and/or media) business now, working on everything from books to magazines to websites to databases to events and, well, whatever allows me to write and interact with other writers. Over time, it can be easy to forget that publishing has its own jargon that may not be familiar to people new to the business. So here are some common definitions in this post. Read More...

2nddraftsquare

Send Your Work to 2nd Draft Critique Services!
No matter your style or genre, Writer's Digest Shop offers a high-level view of your writing. You'll not only learn what's working in your writing, but what's not, and—most important—how to fix it. Gain a critique of your manuscript, query letter, synopsis, and more! Click here to learn more >>

Authors Share Their Biggest Surprise in the Publishing Process

Writing a book is serious business. There are so many things to keep in mind, including character development, setting, world building, pacing, and more—and I didn't even get to the revision process. But writing a book is still focused on the craft. The process of submitting your work and getting published is the next level. Read More...

robert_lee_brewer_2_100

Robert Lee Brewer

Robert Lee Brewer is a senior editor for Writer's Digest and former editor of the Writer's Market book series. He is also the author of Smash Poetry Journal and Solving the World's Problems. Find him on Twitter at @RobertLeeBrewer

    Facebook Link     Twitter Link     Pinterest Link     Instagram Link     YouTube Link

Active Interest Media
P.O. Box 20730 Boulder, Colorado, 80308 USA

You received this email because you are subscribed to Writer's Digest Newsletter.

Update your email preferences to choose the types of emails you receive.