WGA Nominations Interviews

Creative Screenwriting

Feb 22, 2021, 1:30:46 PM2/22/21
to studionort...@gmail.com
Plus, Writing Gigs are Picking Up - Submit Today
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Website

Hello Creative Screenwriters,

It's been interview week at Creative Screenwriting Magazine as we head into awards season. Read our interviews with Andy Siara who wrote the sci-fi rom-com Palm Springs which earned him a WGA nomination for best original screenplay and Kemp Powers who wrote One Night In Miami based on his own stage play. His efforts earned him a WGA nomination for best adapted screenplay. Also check out our chat with Mike Cahill, the cerebral filmmaker as he discusses Bliss, starring Owen Wilson and Salma Hayek. Finally, find out how newbie G.O. Parson got his abandoned theme park film Willy's Wonderland on screen with the help of Nicolas Cage.

Don't forget to get connected with us here:
 Facebook. Twitter. Instagram.

Til next week,

J.G. Sarantinos
Editor-In-Chief - Creative Screenwriting Magazine

“I Don’t Want A Piece Of The Pie, I Want The Recipe”

The film version of One Night In Miami is built upon the lofty shoulders of a Kemp Powers’ play about four influential black men instrumental in the civil rights movement of the sixties –  Malcolm X (the activist), Cassius Clay, (the boxer who later changed his name to Muhammed Ali), James Brown (the NFL player, not the musician), and Sam Cooke (the soul singer).

The story is based on a fictitious conversation between the four men in a motel room after outsider Muhammed Ali beat champion heavyweight boxer Sonny Liston in 1964. (The actually meeting happened). This was fertile ground for them to discuss the status of Black America during a time of massive social upheaval. Fast forward to more than half a century later when Powers adapted his play for the big screen at a time of… even more massive social upheaval where Black Americans are still demanding their equal status in society.

One Night In Miami is not so much a portrayal of four angry men battling oppression, but rather, an intimate, raw, voyeuristic examination of their views on social justice and how to achieve it.

Read More Articles
Want to be Mentored by a CAA Agent?
2 New Mentors Announced!

The ISA Fast Track Fellowship gives 2 undiscovered screenwriters a direct line to be mentored by 8 top level agents, managers, producers and executives during a week of meetings. After the Fast Track Week, the fellows will automatically be accepted onto the ISA Development Slate where the ISA will champion you and your script to industry contacts for a full year.

ISA WRITING GIGS

WGA and Un-repped Writers Welcome to Submit
(for more gigs, click here)

New Orleans Based Story - Prod Co Looking To Buy/Produce
PAID: [Significant upfront fee, backend, and WGA standards]

Production Co Looking To Buy A Strong Female Lead Feature
PAID: [$5,000 upfront, plus additional $5,000 upon the film's release.]

Production Company Seeking Low Budget Sci-Fi Features
PAID: [To be negotiated]

 ISA Hiring: Social Media Coordinator
PAID: [$18 to start, TBD after 90 days]

Canadian Based ProdCo Seeking Hour Long Elevated Female Lead Soaps
PAID: [To be negotiated up front and back end]

ISA Verified Pro Seeking Sci-Fi Projects
PAID: [Market rates apply WGA/Non WGA]

LA Company Seeking Coming Of Age Heartfelt Features
PAID: [To be negotiated up front and back end]

Seeking High Concept Female Driven Genre Features
PAID: [To be negotiated up front and back end]

LA Based ProdCo Seeking Screenwriter For Animated Series
PAID: [$1000 per Episode (negotiable)]
Copyright © 2021 CreativeScreenwriting.com, All rights reserved.
Fulton Ave - Sherman Oaks, California - 91423