Pitch Your YA Book to @Voyage_YA Journal 📚 ✨ Previous #ShortStory contest winners @LeslieVedder @MandyDaniWrites @TizzyWrites

Studio NI

Apr 8, 2021, 4:31:00 PM4/8/21
to studio...@googlegroups.com

Pitch Your Book Contest

Grand Prize: $2,000 USD + $2,500 Worth of Book Mentorship with YA Author Kylie Schachte + Publication

It’s safe to assume that you are on the journey toward finishing that great YA novel. Whether you’re still meeting the characters in your head or adjusting that one comma on the final page, you can get something great out of this opportunity—send us your best book ideas!

We’re proud to announce that Voyage has partnered with YA author, Kylie Schachte to provide one writer with the opportunity to receive 25 hours of direct, one-on-one book coaching (a $2500 value)! The 25 hours will be a combination of sessions and allotted time for Kylie to read pages. Kylie will work with authors to best determine how those hours will be divided.

In addition to the coaching, the winner will also receive publication of a chapter/excerpt of their choice and $2000 in payment.

No matter where you are on the book journey, this mentoring program will move your work forward. If you’ve had the idea in your head for years, but never knew how to start; if you finished the book years ago but have not known how to move it forward to selling and publication; if you’re adding the finishing touches on the epilogue—we’ll pair you with author, coach, and mentor Kylie Schachte, to help you find the best version of your story. The mentorship will be guided by your own commitment and sense of urgency. Do not let this opportunity to take your book to the next level pass!

Send us your best book pitch. We know a lot of you are bursting with stories, so you can include up to two separate pitches for each submission.

Your submission should include:

  • A query letter (max 1 page)
  • A synopsis (1-2 pages max)
  • A one-page sample of the project
  • Info about where you are on the project

Our team will read through all the pitches and select the winner. Our judging criteria is based on what we feel is the most compelling idea and most thrilling pitch.

DEADLINE: MAY 16, 2021

$20 reading fee per entry

SUBMIT NOW

Don't want to forget the deadline but not quite ready to submit? Add us to your calendar!

Add to Calendar

Winning Work

Phoenix from the Acid

By Leslie Vedder

First Place Winner of the 2020 Voyage YA Short Story Award judged by Natalia Sylvester

I never knew the old world. But I feel a little sick remembering Grammy’s stories: of feathered bodies torn apart, fried, dissected with teeth and fingertips.

Leslie Vedder (she/her) is a queer ace author who loves girl adventurers and heroes. Her climate fiction won the Aftermath Short Story prize, and she has a piece forthcoming in Abyss & Apex Magazine. Her debut YA fantasy THE BONE SPINDLE comes out Spring 2022 from Putnam/Penguin. She lives in Colorado with her wife and two spoiled house cats. You can find her at leslievedder.com or on Instagram: @leslie.vedder and Twitter: @leslievedder.

Read It

Sew Your Desire

By Amanda Thomas

Second Place Winner of the 2020 Voyage YA Short Story Award judged by Natalia Sylvester

Sara taps her nails against the table, pausing her work to watch Dad pinch curry leaves. Her eyes narrow. For the first time, I wonder if she’s waiting for the other shoe to drop too.

Amanda Thomas is an Indian-Australian fantasy writer, poet, and book blogger. She is soon to graduate from a Bachelor of Fine Arts (Creative Writing) at Queensland University of Technology, where she has studied as a Vice-Chancellor’s Academic Scholar. Her work has been published or is upcoming in Voiceworks, Blue Bottle Journal, Glass, Scratch That, and Queer Sci Fi’s flash fiction anthology Migration (2019). She has performed at several literary salons, including Volta Poetry run by the Queensland Poetry Festival. Find Amanda on Instagram: @amandathepoetess or on Twitter: @MandyDaniWrites.

Read It

This is How You Fall in Love with a Homophobe

By J. Isaiah Holbrook

Third Place Winner of the 2020 Voyage YA Short Story Award judged by Natalia Sylvester

With a stack of vinyl records tucked under his left arm, you’ll take him over to the books section, and the two of you will walk down the aisle of your favorite genres.

J. Isaiah Holbrook holds a BA in English from Saint Francis University and recently received his MFA in Creative Writing at Oregon State University. He’s been published in The Rumpus, McSweeney’s, Harvard Review, Adelaide Magazine, and Delta Epsilon Sigma Journal, where he received first place in short fiction in the journal’s national writing contest. He is currently the flash fiction editor for Decolonial Passage Literary Magazine and an editorial intern at Beacon Press. Isaiah has also received acceptance into Lambda Literary Writers Retreat for Emerging LGBTQ voices and will attend the summer of 2021. Find Isaiah on IG & Twitter: @tizzywrites.

Read It

70 SW Century Drive, Suite 100442 97702 Bend US

--
Studio NI: Promoting Arts and Culture in the North of Ireland since 2004. NIC101100