✏️ Writing Prompts #121: Life is but a dream

Arielle

Jan 11, 2019, 7:00:27 AM1/11/19
to studionort...@gmail.com
Participate in our short story contest for the chance to win $50 and publication on our blog!

Life is but a dream 💤

Many people believe dreams have the power to tell us a lot — things we might not be able to realize about our own psyche will awake. Others believe dreams are totally random.

Whatever you believe, it's hard to deny that these sleep-induced figments of our imagination have the power to inspire a multitude of stories. This week, we're prompting you to write a tale based on dreams.
  1. You can buy a pill that lets you decide exactly what you will dream about while you sleep.

  2. You start realizing that at least one aspect of every dream you have comes true the next day.

  3. Write a story that blurs the line between the protagonist's reality and their dreams.

  4. A deceased relative appears to you in a dream to deliver a very important message. What do you do when you wake up?

  5. Write a story that starts and ends with the line "And then I woke up."

Short Story Contest — $50 Cash Reward
Reedsy challenges you to create a short story based on one of our prompts. Winners will be featured on our Medium Blog and receive $50 cash! In order to have your story considered, it is important you follow the rules below. As the contest grows, stories that do not adhere to the instructions may not be considered. Thank you!

Congratulations to the latest winner, Grace F-H! Her short story, The Classic, is based on the prompt: A person coming home late from a New Year’s Eve Party stops by a McDonald’s. A person staying home for New Year’s Eve goes to McDonald’s for a late night snack

To submit your own story:

  • Respond to this newsletter with your story as a Word doc or PDF attachment (please don't simply include it in the body of the email itself).
  • Make sure you specify which prompt your story is based on, and that your story has a title.
  • The length should be 1,000-3,000 words.
  • The deadline to submit a short story based on any of the following prompts is end of January 18th, midnight EST.
Looking forward to reading your stories!

– Arielle and the Reedsy Team

Connecting authors with the industry's best editors, designers, and book marketers.

Learn more about our services