Silver Waves + A Susurrant Silence From: Columbia Hillen's #Ireland #writing retreat

Studio NI

Apr 5, 2021, 1:28:39 PM4/5/21
to studio...@googlegroups.com

'Silver Waves' And

A 'Susurrant Silence'

We are honored to continue sharing with you works by some of the talented writers among the 'Top Ten' finalists in our previous Wild Atlantic Writing Awards (WAWA) competitions.

Our first story, by Thea Al Hirsi from British Yemen, is in the flash fiction category on the theme of writing and our second, by Eric Michael Liddick from rural Pennsylvania, is in the creative nonfiction category, with no designated theme.

Remember, there is still time for you to enter our latest competition, with 1,000 euro prize money, on the theme of Love, as well as join our special upcoming 'Travel Writing Workshop' next Saturday.

Want to develop your interest in travel writing, even host your own travel blog?

Our upcoming ‘Travel Writing Workshop’ on April 10th may be just the ticket.

Only a few places available.

Aside from receiving a Certificate of Completion, participants will:

- Learn more about the freelance market and best ways to enter it;

- Understand key elements of travel articles, from destination features and memoir to hotel and restaurant reviews;

- Develop effective strategies for research;

- Acquire the skills necessary to write an attractive pitch.

- And, more importantly, have your very own travel writing stories critiqued by Sean Hillen, an experienced writer-cum-editor whose experience includes

Fodor’s travel guides and major daily newspapers and magazines.

Consider the dynamics of Sean's own travel blog ‘World Itineraries.

Read "Silver Waves"

by Thea Al Hirsi

Thea, 22, is from British Yemen and studied Media and English with Creative Writing at Goldsmiths, University of London. Working now as a publishing assistant at Icon Books, Thea is now taking an MA in Language and Cultural Diversity at King's College, London, whilst developing her writing skills.

After learning she was chosen among the Top Ten in the ‘Wild Atlantic Writing Awards,’ she said,

I'm thrilled to have been selected as a finalist for the first WAWA competition. The winning and shortlisted stories are absolutely beautiful, and I'm very proud to have mine featured alongside them. I can't wait to see what comes out of the next edition."

Struggles with post-traumatic stress syndrome and grief over his father’s early onset of Alzheimer’s, propelled Eric Michael Liddick into writing as a means of healing. From a rural community outside Altoona, Pennsylvania, Eric is a law graduate who joined the U.S. Army’s Judge Advocate General’s Corps and the Army’s elite 75th Ranger Regiment. After three deployments in Afghanistan he is now an Army judge advocate. His articles have appeared in academic journals and he is writing his first book, a coming-of-age tale.

A finalist in two consecutive WAWA competitions, Eric said, "Thank you for this honor. With all of the talented writers who entered this competition, I am humbled to be named a finalist."

Share on social

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Pinterest

Created with‌ ‌ Explore Ascend

--
Studio NI: Promoting Arts and Culture in the North of Ireland since 2004. NIC101100