Only one day left to go...

The London Magazine

Jan 14, 2020, 12:21:04 PM1/14/20
to Stu
Short Story Prize closes midnight tomorrow! Read extracts from our Winter issue alongside the latest news and reviews online
Dear Stu,

With just over one day left to submit to our Short Story competition, immerse yourselves in our Dec/Jan issue.

In 'Sex, drugs and dead birds', a short story by Clare Fisher, a magpie falls from the sky and splats on the pavement - is it a Sign? Jonathan McAloon writes on 'The Disappearing Acts of Robyn Denny' and the decay of meaning, while I review Lucy Ellmann's Goldsmiths Prize-winning novel, Ducks, Newburyport.

Stay tuned for news on our upcoming Feb/March issue. In the meantime, don't forget to subscribe to ensure a copy is delivered direct to your door.

Yours, on behalf of the team,

Jack Solloway
The London Magazine
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
News

December / January  2020

Read Horatio Morpurgo on Extinction Rebellion and faith,  Jonathan McAloon on British artist Robyn Denny, whose collage fronts the cover, and André Naffis-Sahely on Exile Literature. Simon Tait writes of Christopher Le Brun and the Royal Academy, and Heathcote  Ruthven the poet and musician James Massiah. Poetry by Anthony Anaxagorou and our 2019 Poetry Prize winners. Fiction by Clare Fisher and Rachel Bower. We are also delighted to feature extracts from Letters to the Earth by Jo Baker, Farhana Yamin and Mark Rylance.

Buy single issue
Deadline: Midnight, 15 January 2020
by The London Magazine

Writers, you have just over twenty-four hours to submit your fantastic and most curious fiction to The London Magazine Short Story Prize! To enter and for details about the judging panel, visit the competition page on our website.

Buy the single issue here, or subscribe below for £33 for the year, which gives you approximately 20% off cover price, free delivery and full access to our extensive digital archive. For single issue orders, use the code TLM10 for 10% off your order.
Subscribe to The London Magazine

From the issue

Sex, drugs and dead birds | Fiction
by Clare Fisher

The birds kept dying. The birds kept dying. They kept dropping out of the sky and splatting onto the pavement. They were a Sign – of what, I didn’t know: I just documented them on my phone in the hope they would make their meaning clear, if not to me, then to one of my friends. . . Read here.

Ducks, Newburyport by Lucy Ellmann | Review
by Jack Solloway

Its book-length sentence stretching, for the most part unbroken, across nearly 1,000 pages, Ducks is an encyclopaedic novel clogged with so-called ‘facts’, writes Jack Solloway, who questions how the novel can cope anymore with the pace of modern living. Read the review.

The Disappearing Acts of Robyn Denny | Essay
by Jonathan McAloon

From the earliest formation of his artistic intellect, the British painter Robyn Denny (1930-2014) was interested in the way images lose their greatness and meaning over time, writes Jonathan McAloon. Read about his disappearing acts.
Featured
Review | Machines Like Me and The Cockroach by Ian McEwan
Extract | Exposition by Nathalie Léger tr. Amanda DeMarco

Fiction | "Smack" from Salt Slow by Julia Armfield

Subscribe to The London Magazine
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Copyright © 2015 The London Magazine, All rights reserved.

The London Magazine
11 Queen's Gate, London SW7 5EL
Tel: 020 7584 5977
subscr...@thelondonmagazine.org
www.thelondonmagazine.org

unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences