✒Declarations 72: Thank you for everything, JP.

Declan Shalvey

May 4, 2021, 10:13:21 AM5/4/21
to studionort...@gmail.com
View this email in your browser
DECLARATIONS

A biweekly newsletter by artist/writer Declan Shalvey.
The sun is out, yet I'm still inside working. Ah well, at least I can look out the window.
ALL THE LATEST
-Have wrapped up Part 3 of PROJECT GRAVITY. Just one more to go (for now).

-I'm trying to take care of some various bits and bobs this week while I do the layouts for Part 4.

-Currently writing #6 of TIME BEFORE TIME as Rory digs into the second arc more. I'm writing #6 as more of a stand alone story. Have gotten notes from Rory and Heather, and am now getting stuck into the script.

-I did a longform interview for Z magazine in Spain. It's to be published in Spanish in a few days, I was also asked to provide a cover to the magazine, so I did some TIME BEFORE TIME artwork. If you're in Spain, make sure you pick it up!
-I've been asked to do a talk for a college here in Dublin. Been a while since I've done a talk, and the first time I'll be doing one remotely. It's not even about art, actually, it's about how I use social media, which I guess is interesting... I have definitely found my own way to promote my work online, but it's always been a bit more based on gut-feelings, will be interested to actually articulate my approach on paper.

-A creator I really admire emailed me the other day out of nowhere, (have never really talked to them before) asking why I hadn't just put out a graphic novel that I wrote and drew? It was a good question, something I've been itching to do laterly, but didn't feel that I had a story to suit it, letting it in the auld brainbox for a bit. Out of nowhere, a story came to me a couple of days ago... I know what I want to do... WHEN i'll get to do it, is a whole other question. Still, it's good to know I have enough creative ideas so keep me going for the next couple of years at least.

-I got a few variant covers done for friends, with those done I'm looking to make a dent in some commissions. Made a start with this Darth Vader piece.
-I've been getting some email replies to this newsletter about the status of Punisher Vs Barracuda. To be clear: I DO NOT KNOW. I drew 4 of the 5 issues, Covid caused a lot of havoc causing Marvel to pause the book. I have no new information beyond that. It's frustrating, we had a great mini on our hands and I was really happy with my work on it, but it's Marvel's call and I just have no say in the matter. I've had to move on until I hear otherwise.

-Get a load of this! Marvel are bringing out a new Moon Knight series (bringing back my Mr.Knight and superhero armour designs too!) and showed off this John Romita Jr cover of my superhero design! Crazy stuff, I can't believe I live in a world where JrJr had drawn a design of mine twice (I designed the original Duke costume for JrJr's run on All Star Batman)
PROJECT OFFSPRING
I've teased this a bit but I saw we've been solicited, so can reveal PROJECT OFFSPRING is...

A short story for CARNAGE: BLACK WHITE & BLOOD, the final issue of the signature miniseries.

I was supposed to draw this myself, but I had deadline conflicts. In order to punish me for this, they assigned Stephen Mooney to draw it!

I like that I get to contribute to these Black White & Red series in different disciplines; writing/drawing Wolverine, a cover for Deadpool, and now writing for Carnage.

Here's the solicit info...

(W) Declan Shalvey, More (A) Stephen Mooney, More (CA) Ryan Stegman
THE DEAD END!
These past several months, a cavalcade of creators have lent the most sinister of their sensibilities to the symbiote corner of the Marvel Universe, and the final epic installment of CARNAGE: BLACK, WHITE & BLOOD is no exception! THIS ISSUE sees the return of two superstars who are no strangers to symbiote business - DECLAN SHALVEY AND RYAN STEGMAN!

Raw deal aside, it'll be 'interesting' to see Mooney ruin my amazing script. We've talked before about working together, so we'll see how much of a hot symbiote mess that will be and be paid for the pleasure. Here's a peek at Mooney's (I must admit; impressive) variant cover for the issue.
TIME BEFORE TIME
We got our orders for Issue 1 and they're very, very encouraging. thanks to everyone who let their local retailer know they wanted a copy! The issue is out next week(!). I can't wait to hear what everyone thinks of it, I'm pretty confident ye'll want to know what happens next, so keep them orders in for Issue 2! We're chugging along on the next arc and have something special planed for #6, but can't say what just yet.

Here's a peek at my cover for #4.
By the way, we'll be running a letters page in the book. I know the first issue isn't even out yet, but if you want to write us about the book and have it printed in the actual comic, send an email to timebefor...@gmail.com with OK TO PRINT at the top.
TBT: PROCESS EDITION
The Kickstarter seems to have stalled since it's initial burst when it launched. I had been told this would likely happen so it's not that surprising. It's just over a week til it wraps though, and I'd REALLY like to get to that 20K stretch goal so that I can splash out and upgrade the Process book to the full colour 60 pg version for everyone. I had a plan for something special if we got higher than that, but I don't see it happening.

I'd like to say thanks to all who have pledged and those who haven't yet (I see how many read the newsletter and how many click through!), I'd ask if ye want to pledge, don't wait any longer as the next Declarations won't come out until after the campaign ends in 7 days. This has been an experiment to see if it'd be worth making more books in the future. It's great we hit the goal, but with the amount of time and effort this has all taken, I'm on the fence whether it'd be worth planning any more, to be honest.

If ye're curious, my ideas for future KS projects are to maybe release one 'Art Deco' book a year (don't want to go crazy). I was thinking of doing; a book of all of my layouts over the years, a book of my non Marvel/DC covers and as I have plans for another Image book, I was thinking of doing a b+w process book (similar to what John McCrea is doing right now). Possibly even doing a comics anthology project, even.

So yeah, i'm not saying I definitely won't do any of the above things, but the TBT: Process Edition has been a way to test the waters on the above and as it stands... I'm about 50/50. It's been a LOT of work and not sure it's quite worth the time investment /stress involved with running a campaign. If it does way better though, I'll definitely change my tune!

All that said some Process Edition updates....
Sasha Head, the designer of the series and process book sent along a WIP of the book as she's working on it, I'm so excited to see more. I loved her work on the Image+ magazine, how she was able to integrate art into the text presentation. It's great to see her do that again regarding the series that she's been such a great part of helping establish the look for.

There are still a couple of Video Pods left, where I'll take a Skype call along with your copy of the book. Happy to give a portfolio review, career advice, whatever!

There are still a handful of Sketch Pods left, where I'll do a small head sketch along with your book, if any of ye want to snap those up.

I've introduced a bonus stretch goal to the Kickstarter campaign. For no extra cost, everyone who had pledged at the print tier will get the previous exclusive prints by myself and Joe Palmer, along with other artists of my choice. I decided to pick artists I really like, not all of which would have a huge platform, but all deserving of one. The revealed artists so far are Gavin Fullerton, India Swift, Gustaffo Vargas, and Eoin Marron (art below). That'll be (at least) 6 exclusive mini prints in a special presentation envelope for no extra cost!
UPDATE: I had included a print by John Paul Leon (the inks to his variant cover) but unfortunately JP passed away last weekend and I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable about the idea of people pledging for his work right after his tragic death. Instead, I'm including the print of JP's art for everyone who has pledged at a print tier, not make it part of the Portfolio Pod (that needs to reach 15K to happen). I've also donated to his memorial fund, in part to absolve myself of any feelings of morbid profiteering. I'd considered removing the print because of that worry, buy I'm very grateful JP gave me permission to make a mini-print of his art so I don't want to just remove it. Instead, I want as many people as possible to have a print of his art, now that has unfortunately passed away.

I do hope that people will help push us to the Portfolio Pod goal (which will now go to the Regular Pod tier and above (not for the Basic Pod), otherwise all this lovely art I've commissioned won't be printed, but at least by giving everyone at a print tier a JPL print, I won't feel like I'm profiting off the tragedy of his recent passing, and adding something special to those who have pledged. Man, this is all so weird.
8 DAYS LEFT to support TBT: Process Edition
INTERVIEW DEC
Been doing the rounds with interviews for TIME BEFORE TIME...
-Myself, Joe and Rory did our first group TIME BEFORE TIME interview for AITP that you can read here.

-Here's another I did for Dynamic Forces

-And another with all of us at Forbes, which is neat... I like that description too!
-I was also on the 11 O'Clock Comics podcast finally. It had been a loooong time coming and they guys recorded a bit earlier to accommodate for my time zone, so thanks for that lads. Really enjoyed this (probably because I had a few cans of cider in b by the end.) You can listen here.
DEC RECS
I'm very behind on my reading, and didn't have time to write something more in depth about this, but David Lopez sent me his latest chapter of BLACKHAND & IRONHEAD recently. The chapters are collected in beautiful hardcover that I recommend ye all pick up, or in a PDF via Panel Syndicate here. This new chapter debuts on Panel Syndicate on May 12th and is off to a great start. I was more than happy to provide this quote for David.

"BLACKHAND & IRONHEAD is yet another example of masterful storytelling by David Lopez. A wild, epic superpowered family drama starring two cynically snappy siblings-- brilliantly paced and richly illustrated by Lopez, with some wonderfully lush colouring by Kike J Diaz."
JPL RIP
Lastly, I just wanted to write a few words regarding the recent passing of John Paul Leon. I can't believe I just wrote that sentence... the insanely talented artist was just 49 when he died last weekend. He was my favourite artist, probably the artist who has had more of an influence on my work than any other I'm consciously aware of. He was my art hero. I've often lamented that I wish I drew like JP Leon but didn't, but let's face it; no one could.
I was fortunate enough to have met him a few times, the first was when a friend introduced me to this nice man I'd already been chatting to in a bar after my first NYCC. "Oh, you've met JP," my friend said. Then the penny dropped... "YOU'RE JP LEON!?!" I then proceeded to barrage him with the nerdiest questions about technique and his storytelling approach. I specifically asked him about the below cover; why he didn't ink the detail on one of the character's trousers...? I learned more in that 20 minute conversation with him than any art class I've been to.
I'd always go to his table whenever I saw him at a show and would buy a page off him. I probably own more pages by him (Adventure of Cyclops & Phoenix, Captain America, Black Widow, X-Men, Midnighter, etc) than any other artist. His covers were always out of my price range, but he always had cheaper pages available. Learned so much analyzing those pages, and I made a promise to myself to always have some cheap pages available if I ever 'made it'. I never had the nerve to show him my actual portfolio, but being a genuine soul, he was always gracious with his time. When you talked to JP, you could tell that he really listened to you. In more recent years, we had small chats, he became aware of my own work and would pass kind comments on it, which would blow my mind. When we were launching Injection, we had no variant cover by any other artists except for one: I wanted a cover by JP LEON.

And what a cover it was, I cherish the original art for this.
As ye may know, JP also recently provided the B cover for TIME BEFORE TIME #1 and I have to admit I'm feeling very strange about it. I mean, it was already an honour to have JP provide a cover for my next creator owned book. To have it come out after he's now died is... weird.

Just a couple of weeks ago on Twitter, I said to a friend (and JP) that I'd happily ask him to draw a cover to every creator owned book I do in the future, I made a promise to myself to keep that tradition going, to have my favourite artist indulge me if he felt like doing so. JP even 'liked' that tweet... he was probably just being polite, but I'm very sad that I can't keep that promise to myself.
JP had a masterful skill when it came to composition. He excelled in both cover work and sequential work, knowing the secret of what made both disciplines great. He made me want to draw better with every page, and sling ink like the master he was. Seeing JP colour his own work in recent years was an inspiration also; here was an artist always looking to improve his craft. For those who maybe don't know his work, I encourage you to pick up the CREATURE OF THE NIGHT hardcover he drew/coloured, written by Kurt Busiek, or the brilliant WINTER MEN (written by Brett Lewis, colours by Dave Stewart and Melissa Edwards) or EARTH X  (w/ Bill Reinhold, Alex Ross, Jim Kreuger, Matt Hollingsworth).
JP's death has hit me pretty hard, which is strange as I can't say I was very close to the man, I am just essentially a fan who had some contact with him... but his work has loomed large in my life, and will continue to. Having met him and spoken to him over the years, his humility and grace was clear and is something to aspire to. The dedication to his art is clear in all the amazing work in his distinguished career, one that has been tragically cut short.

I spoke to JP just a month ago via e-mail, when I was asking if he'd permit me to offer the inks of his TBT cover for the Kickstarter. It gave me the opportunity to thank him again and I wished him all the best. I'm glad I was at least able to say that much to him so close to his death. My heart goes out to everyone who has been touched by his work, but especially to his friends and family.

Thank you for everything, JP.
NOTE: There is a memorial fund set up by friends of JP to help support his daughter's future education. If his work meant anything to you, I'd encourage you to support. Donate here.
OUT SOON
May 12th
TIME BEFORE TIME #1 CVR A SHALVEY (W/C)
TIME BEFORE TIME #1 CVR B LEON (W)

June 16th
TIME BEFORE TIME #2 CVR A (W/C)
TIME BEFORE TIME #2 CVR B WIJNGAARD (W)

June 12th
IMMORTAL HULK #47 SPIDER-MAN VILLAINS (VC)

Okay, that's all from me this week. I'll be back again in a couple of weeks. Feel free to share the subscribe link between now and then.

Dec.
Twitter
Facebook
Website