British Council supported film nominated for a BAFTA | Europe’s first BAME orchestra | Wales in Kolkata

British Council Arts

Jan 11, 2019, 10:59:04 AM1/11/19
to Stu

Is this email displaying properly? If not, read it in your browser.

British Council Logo

The latest from UK Arts

Registration for the 2019 Edinburgh Festival Fringe is now open; those planning on applying for the British Pavilion 2020 open call are invited to join our British Design team for a live online Q&A to ask questions about the open call process at 1-2pm on Monday 14 Jan; we've just launched a digital open call that will form part of our upcoming season celebrating the 30th anniversary of the web.

British Council supported film nominated for a BAFTA

The nominees for the British Academy Film Awards 2019 have been announced with judges' favourite Olivia Colman leading the nominations.

Also among this year's nominees is Peter Jackson's film They Shall Not Grow Old, which commemorated the 100th anniversary of the armistice that ended the First World War. The documentary, which was supported by the British Council, was created from archive audio and film footage from the Imperial War Museums and used cutting edge technology to bring to life original black and white material, showing the reality of war on the front line.

> BAFTA Film Awards 2019: The nominations in full

> Book now to see They Shall Not Grow Old (limited dates remaining)

Tate Britain to celebrate 60 years of work by female artists

Tate Britain is to celebrate the vital role women have played in British art throughout the decades, by temporarily rehanging the work showcased in its gallery displays with pieces exclusively by female artists. Equal gender representation in art galleries is something that Maria Balshaw, the director of Tate believes "has been slow for too long", but is "happy that it is speeding up”.

Find out more

Europe’s first BAME orchestra

Meet double bassist Chi-chi Nwanoku, the Londoner who founded Europe’s first Black, Asian, and minority ethnic orchestra. Nwanoku approached multiple UK Music organisations, including the British Council, when starting on her quest for musicians to join Chineke! Orchestra. The orchestra now boasts an impressive body of talent including royal wedding/BBC Young Musician of the Year cellist, Sheku Kanneh-Mason.

Meet Chi-chi Nwanoku

Short form: more than a calling card?

Attend the London Short Film Festival next week and get stuck into the function and capital of the short film. At the festival, a panel discussion moderated by the British Council's Jo Duncombe with Film London's Jordan McGarry, VICE's Eloise King and Girls In Film's Nikola Vasakova will discuss the various routes a short filmmaker can take with their career.

Buy tickets

Indonesia Focus: Q&A with writer Agustinus Wibowo

Agustinus Wibowo talks to us about Indonesian literature, writing processes and the best book he's ever read. Wibowo is one of the twelve Indonesian writers who will take part in the British Council's Cultural Programme of The London Book Fair Market Focus.

Read the Q&A

'Town of culture' award would boost arts and investment

In an open letter published by the Guardian, Labour MP Yvette Cooper has urged the culture minister Jeremy Wright to consider establishing a new town of culture award.

Read the letter

Wales in Kolkata

This month four Welsh artists and organisations head to Kolkata, India’s cultural capital, to showcase their work in theatre, dance and literature, and share expertise. The artists will present at prestigious festivals in the city, undertake workshops with local schools, students and arts professionals, and speak on panels and deliver lectures alongside leading Indian culture professionals.

Find out more

Twitter Facebook YouTube

You have received this newsletter because you registered on our website or previously showed interest in British Council news. If you wish to opt out of future newsletters please unsubscribe here.

If you have been forwarded this email and would like to receive future emails from us you can subscribe to this newsletter here.

© 2016 British Council
The United Kingdom's international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. A registered charity: 209131 (England and Wales) SC037733 (Scotland).