Can you help us build a community for children like Sophia?

Helium Arts

Dec 4, 2018, 8:43:38 AM12/4/18
to Stu

Hi Stu,

This year has been full of fun and new adventures for us at Helium Arts!

We achieved a lot and are getting set for a record-breaking year in 2019. Read more about our 2018 highlights here

BUT, there are so many more children facing the social & emotional challenges of living with illness and disability who can benefit from finding a meaningful creative outlet.

Did you know that 1% of ALL children in Ireland are seriously hampered in their daily lives due to long-term illness or disability?

They experience more bullying, will have fewer close friends and are much less likely to report feeling happy in daily life compared to their healthy peers.

For many of the children and young people Helium works with, feeling isolated, alone and sad are very common feelings.

SOPHIA'S STORY

Sophia is 14 and a member of the amazing Electric Feathers group formed from a Helium community art making project taking place over the course of 2018...

Sophia (left) busy creating with artist Rachel Tynan (centre) and fellow Electric Feathers group member (right)

Sophia was diagnosed with epilepsy when she was just eight and suffers from four different seizure types, two of which are part of her life everyday. Sharon, Sophia’s mother has told us how every morning Sophia has a cluster of spasms and seizures from which she is left completely disorientated.

“It’s like the worst headache, the worst hangover,
and that’s how her life starts every single day.” -
Sharon, Sophia's mum.

Throughout the day in school, these seizures can also happen at any time, interrupting Sophia’s learning, her conversations, her train of thought.

“Every minute of every day is a challenge for Sophia because she doesn’t know what’s going to come next. The unpredictability of this can make her more anxious than is necessary”

For Sophia's family, helping her to manage her illness while trying to allow for that sense of independence that’s a normal part of growing up is a big challenge. Her brother Michael, aged 12, is starting to explore the world independently. Sophia sees this and wonders why she can’t do the same.

We are always with her, we're in her space...
But she's 14 and she's fighting for her space"

In school, having a Special Needs Assistant (SNA) by her side constantly and the consistent risk of seizure means that Sophia often feels isolated.

"She asked me the other night, 'mum do I really have any friends?'"

This is where Sharon believes the way that Helium supports young people is important. At the first Electric Feathers workshop Sophia attended, Sharon tells us that knowing everybody there also had epilepsy was a major shift in Sophia “normalising” her condition. Sharon believes that through the creative process, participants are put on a level playing field.
She says, "
you don’t have to prove anything to anyone, you don’t have to perform”.

Being able to give participants independence knowing that their medical needs will be looked after if it comes to it means that young people can concentrate on getting involved and working together and parents can leave their children without worry. As Sharon put it, “illness became secondary”.

“Helium has opened a whole new world for these teenagers, it normalises life and helps them to fit in.  Sophia still goes around wearing her Electric Feathers sweater and the t-shirt. And having the showcase and the photos from the day, it’s just so positive”

Sophia and her brother in front of the Electric Feathers group artwork at the end of project showing of work. Photo credit: Thom McDermott.

But Sharon points out, "the big problem is we need more”...

We need to build a community between kids who understand each others' issues so they can have real friendships, make life easier for each other and not feel so isolated”.

GIVE THE GIFT OF CREATIVITY THIS CHRISTMAS

You can help children and young people like Sophia find a meaningful creative outlet and community of friends to help them feel happier, connected, supported, and inspired.

DONATE HERE NOW

We are thrilled to be partnering with the amazing Helen Steele to give our supporters donating €50 or more the chance to win one of EIGHT Helen Steele special limited edition prints each worth €250 as pictured below.

Find out more here.

Thank you, Stu, for considering giving the gift of creativity this Christmas and helping to build a community for children and young people like Sophia.

All the best,
Anna.

Helium Arts | in...@helium.ie | www.helium.ie

T: +353 (0) 44 93 96 960
28 Pearse Street, Top Floor, Mullingar, Westmeath, N91 T6TW, Ireland

CHY Number: 19236  |  CRA Number: 20075200
Companies Registration Office: 486621

Copyright © 2018 *Helium Arts, All rights reserved.

This email was sent to studionort...@gmail.com
Helium Arts · 28 Pearse Street · Mullingar, Westmeath N91 T6TW · Ireland

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp