Membership, Takin' the Mic, WomenXBorders

Irish Writers Centre

Jan 9, 2019, 1:01:30 PM1/9/19
to studionort...@gmail.com
We've got some great opportunities here at the IWC...
View this email in your browser
Hello friends of the IWC,

We're already into the swing of things for 2019 with our first event of the year behind us. Thanks to everyone who attended Nollaig na mBan at EPIC last weekend and made it such a special evening.

Takin' the Mic returns to the Centre on Fri 25 Jan. We welcome performance artist and journalist, Cormac Fitz as our guest MC, and award-winning spoken word artist, Stephen Clare as special guest. If you're a poet, writer, comedian or musician, we want to hear from you! Sign up here to perform.

Our first Open Day of 2019 will take place on Sat 26 Jan where you can join us for free workshops, tours and more. Niamh Boyce and Cethan Leahy will host taster sessions, and Mark Granier will host one for non-native English speakers. Register here and spread the word to any friends also interested.

Don't forget about our current open call for a Community Writer-in-Residence (CWIR) at Falls Women’s Centre and Shankill Women’s Centre in Belfast. Deadline is tomorrow, Thurs Jan 10 at 4pm.

If you are a young writer aged 18-26, in 2019, we have expanded our Young Writer Delegates programme to include the International Literature Festival Dublin and we're returning to Cúirt for the second year. Find out more about the Cúirt and ILFD YWD programmes on our website. Deadlines for both are Thurs 24 Jan.

We'd like to remind you that with support of the Arts Council of Northern Ireland’s National Lottery funding, the IWC is able to offer subsidised mentoring and professional member support schemes to Northern Ireland writers for 2019. We are providing ten aspiring writers based in Northern Ireland with one free mentoring session each, as well as 20 free Professional Memberships to Northern Ireland writers. Both schemes are available to eligible NI writers on a first come, first served basis. More info here.

As membership runs on a calendar year, now is the perfect time to think about renewing, or buying, your membership for 2019. Members have access to quiet hotdesk workspaces in our beautiful city centre building as well as discounted prices on courses. See what membership option suits you best.

That's it from us for now.

Until next time,

The team at the Irish Writers Centre

Mindshift: Edit your Novel with Brian Langan: Join Brian Langan for an intensive 3-day workshop that will explore the process of editing your own novel from a publisher's perspective.
Starts: Sat 12 Jan (three days)

Second Thursday Writing Club for Children: This course with Oisín McGann is suitable for any young people who have an enthusiasm for writing, even those who have yet to decide what they want to do with it.
Starts: Thurs 31 Jan (6 weeks)

Northern Ireland: Creating a Scene - Playwriting: Join Rosemary Jenkinson in Derry and learn how to write for the stage with fresh and cutting-edge ideas.
Starts: Sat 2 Feb (one day)

The Lived Life: Memoir: This course with Mary Rose Callaghan will show that writing a memoir can be approached in the same way as a novel, with characters, structure and a timeline. The atmosphere will be supportive and encouraging.
Starts: Thurs 21 Feb (8 weeks)

Focus Your Form: Research: Join Henrietta McKervey to explore the how-what-where of various research sources.
Starts: Mon 25 March (2 weeks)

Teens Writing Camp: In this course with Deirdre Sullivan, participants will work on building stories, characters and worlds, and explore what works and doesn't work for them in the fiction they consume.
Starts: Tues 16 April (3 days)

Events

Arts Council Literature Bursary Award Information Clinic

Thurs 10 Jan | 6 - 7.30pm
Irish Writers Centre

All welcome to this information clinic in advance of the Arts Council's Literature Bursary Award (for writers working in English).

Find out more and register here.

Takin' the Mic with Cormac Fitz and Stephen Clare

Fri 25 Jan | 7 - 9pm

Takin' the Mic returns for 2019. We're asking poets, writers and musicians to sign up for the open mic. BYOB

Find out more and register here.

First Annual Open Day 2019

Sat 26 Jan | 11am - 5pm

Save the date! Join us for free workshops, tours of the building and lots of information on who we are and what we do.

Find out more and register here.

Opportunities

As part of our community engagement programme, we're pleased to announce a Community Writer-in-Residence (CWIR) for 2019 in Northern Ireland. We are seeking to appoint a CWIR at Falls Women’s Centre and Shankill Women’s Centre. Deadline is Thurs Jan 10 at 4pm. Find out more here
We invite ambitious young writers aged 18-26 to apply for this extraordinary opportunity to attend and contribute to Cúirt as IWC/Cúirt Young Writer Delegates. Deadline is Thurs 24 Jan. More info here
We invite ambitious young writers aged 18-26 to apply for this extraordinary opportunity to attend and contribute to International Literature Festival Dublin as inaugural IWC/ILFD Young Writer Delegates. Deadline is 24 Jan. More info here

One-to-One Mentoring

Are you struggling to complete your novel or could you use a trained eye to help you finish your book of poetry? Have you got a film script underway that needs a professional point of view, or perhaps you’re working to complete a collection of short fiction? The Irish Writers Centre has developed a panel of mentors, published authors and industry professionals to help you make your writing as good as it can be.

Read more about One-to-One Mentoring >>>

IWC Membership

Whether you're taking a writing course, attending literary events, looking for a quiet space to work on your writing or demonstrating your support for the Centre's work and the literary arts in Ireland, we have a membership option for you. Our tiered membership structure offers great value with StandardProfessionalOrganisation & Friends memberships to choose from.

For more information see our Membership page and find the option that's right for you.
Website
Website
Twitter
Twitter
Email
Email
Facebook
Facebook
Instagram
Instagram
YouTube
YouTube
Copyright © 2019 Irish Writers Centre, All rights reserved.
You have been signed up to receive this newsletter.

Our mailing address is:
Irish Writers Centre
19 Parnell Square
Dublin 1