What's On(line) this week

Queen's Film Theatre

Jan 15, 2021, 5:04:36 AM1/15/21
to studionort...@gmail.com
More from QFT Player
View Online
 WHAT'S ON  |  MEMBERSHIP
Queen's Film Theatre Weekly
Hi Stu,
At least all this time at home makes us feel less guilty about staying in and watching lots of films. While we wait this out together, we'll keep adding great films to QFT Player.
Now Showing
James Baldwin sits at a table surrounded by white men
AVAILABLE TO RENT NOW FOR £3.49
I Am Not Your Negro
We've recommended this one a few times and now we're so glad to have it on QFT Player. Raoul Peck's documentary is an essential look at the work of James Baldwin following the assassinations of Medgar Evers, Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Jr.

Peck juxtaposes Civil Rights era footage with contemporary footage, highlighting the continued resonance of Baldwin’s words – and how racism still permeates today.
Rent Now
New to QFT Player
A black and white photo of Terrance Hayes
AVAILABLE TO WATCH NOW FOR FREE
In Conversation: Terrance Hayes & Nick Laird
The Seamus Heaney Centre's Professor Nick Laird joins US poet Terrance Hayes, in conversation with students from Queen's University Belfast. His latest collection American Sonnets for my Past and Future Assassin features 70 sonnets written after Trump's election.
Book Now

AVAILABLE TO RENT FOR £3.49
The Man Who Wanted To Fly
The Man Who Wanted to Fly tells the irresistible story of 80-something bachelor farmer Bobby Coote from Cavan, who has had a lifelong dream to fly a plane. Capturing the wonder of one man’s dreams, it's a unique journey into a disappearing border hinterland and a delight from start to finish.
Book Now
Free recommended viewing this week
Fassbender shaves a young man's face with a knife
AVAILABLE ON ALL4
Slow West
Our programmer Michael and our Film Hub NI comrade Hugh both have a soft spot for this one. A young Scottish man travels across America in pursuit of the woman he loves, attracting the attention of an outlaw who wants to be his guide. Available for free on All4 for the next six days.
Watch Now
Support us Banner
Queen's Film Theatre is supported by
Queen's University Belfast
BFI
Follow Us
facebook
twitter
instagram
 Privacy policy  |  Unsubscribe
This email is sent by Queen’s Film Theatre as a result of you signing up to be a QFT member.
Your details will not be passed on to any other companies. For further information visit www.queensfilmtheatre.com.
Queen’s Film Theatre, 20 University Square, Belfast, BT7 1PA. Phone number: 029 9097 1305 Email: qftma...@qub.ac.uk

Queen's Film Theatre

Jan 22, 2021, 5:00:56 AM1/22/21
to studionort...@gmail.com
More from QFT Player
Hi Stu,
This week we are delighted to announce that the pandemic won't be calling a halt to our annual partnership with the NI Science Festival. They will be bringing their celebration of science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics directly to your living room with a selection of films on QFT Player. Pre-order your tickets for the festival now.

Plus, just added to QFT Player, a brilliant In Conversation event from the Seamus Heaney Centre with film director Lenny Abrahamson (Room, Normal People, Frank), and the award-winning animated film Away.
Lenny Abrahamson
WATCH NOW FOR FREE
In Conversation: Lenny Abrahamson and Michael West

Tune in to this "Conversation With Friends" – the Seamus Heaney Centre's Michael West joins director and film maker Lenny Abrahamson, in conversation with students from Queen's University Belfast. Their conversation took place in January 2021, and it is one of the Seamus Heaney Centre’s regular master-classes with renowned writers.
Watch Now

Pre-order now
A woman leans over a tape player
AVAILABLE TO WATCH FROM 26 - 28 FEB
NI Science Festival X QFT Player:
Sisters with Transistors
Sisters with Transistors is the remarkable untold story of electronic music’s female pioneers, composers who embraced machines and their liberating technologies to utterly transform how we produce and listen to music today.

NI Science Festival 2021 comes to QFT Player with a series of screenings to let your mind wonder. Visit nisciencefestival.com for the full line-up, featuring over 120 events between 15-28 February.
Pre-order Now
NI Science Festival X QFT Player
A man sails a boat made of trash
FREE TO WATCH FROM 15 - 28 FEB
Plastic Cup: The Official Story of the Plastic Pirates
Hungarian idealists transform a long distance river race - where the only boats allowed are those made of trash - into an international environmental campaign in the inspirational Plastic Cup.
More Info

An android
AVAILABLE TO WATCH FROM 17 - 24 FEB
Origin of the Species
Origin of the Species is an experimental feature documentary that explores the current realities of android development. The film will be accompanied by a pre-recorded Zoom interview with director Abigail Child and Wanda Film Festival’s Rose Baker.
Pre-order Now
Poster for The Fight
New This Week on QFT Player
Boy on a motorcycle
RENT NOW FOR £4.99
Away
A boy travels across an island on a motorcycle, trying to escape a dark spirit and get back home in the award-winning animation Away. Part dream, part reality, this is a fascinating story, with beautifully animated landscapes and characters, that explores our common, universal need to find a connection.

"Dreamy, sublime...a breath-taker" - Matthew Leyland, Total Film
Rent Now
Free recommended viewing this week
Redford and Hoffman with ties undone
AVAILABLE ON BBC iPLAYER
All the President's Men
A corrupt President abuses his power and threatens the very democratic system he was elected to lead. This week's free recommended viewing is the very topical All the President's Men.
Watch Now
Support us Banner
Queen's Film Theatre is supported by
Queen's University Belfast
BFI
Follow Us
facebook
twitter
instagram
 Privacy policy  |  Unsubscribe
This email is sent by Queen’s Film Theatre as a result of you signing up to be a QFT member.
Your details will not be passed on to any other companies. For further information visit www.queensfilmtheatre.com.
Queen’s Film Theatre, 20 University Square, Belfast, BT7 1PA. Phone number: 029 9097 1305 Email: qftma...@qub.ac.uk

Queen's Film Theatre

Jan 29, 2021, 5:02:58 AM1/29/21
to studionort...@gmail.com
More from QFT Player
Hi Stu,
Lockdown is getting longer and so is the list of great films available on QFT Player. This week we bring you an intimate documentary revealing the rise and fall of one of America's most iconic writers, Truman Capote. Also, there's a reminder from us to you to check out NI Science Festival's upcoming slate of films, as well as a free film recommendation from us, because we're good like that.
New this week on QFT Player
Truman Capote in a suit with a leather carryall
RENT NOW FROM QFT PLAYER
The Capote Tapes
Using never before heard audio archive, animation and interviews with author Truman Capote's friends and enemies, The Capote Tapes explores the impact of the iconic writer's explosive unfinished novel Answered Prayers.

"Capote remains utterly beguiling throughout, and his sharp intellect and all-too-human frailty are sensitively explored in a documentary that offers a captivating tribute to one of our greatest (and rarest) cultural heroes." - Josh Winning, Radio Times
Rent Now
Poster for Ava
Pre-order now
A robot
ON QFT PLAYER FROM 15 - 28 FEB
NI Science Festival 2021
We are delighted that we can once again join forces with the NI Science Festival for their annual celebration of science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics. This year, we're utilising QFT Player to bring the best science films straight to your living room. So don't miss the likes of Origin of the Species, Abigail Child's experimental doc exploring the current realities of android development. Or Sisters with Transistors, the remarkable untold story of electronic music’s female pioneers. Then there's free stuff like Plastic Cup which tells the story of the Plastic Pirates, a group of Hungarian idealists who transformed a long distance river race into an international environmental campaign. There's a little something for everyone!
Rent Now
Picture saying Cinemagic's Mark Kermode Film Night

Free recommended viewing this week
A woman stares at something off-screen
AVAILABLE ON ALL4
Pili
The BAFTA Award-nominated drama Pili stars Bello Rashid as a Tanzanian woman with HIV who receives an offer that could transform her life. Available to watch for free on All 4.
Watch Now
Support us Banner
Queen's Film Theatre is supported by
Queen's University Belfast
BFI
Follow Us
facebook
twitter
instagram
 Privacy policy  |  Unsubscribe
This email is sent by Queen’s Film Theatre as a result of you signing up to be a QFT member.
Your details will not be passed on to any other companies. For further information visit www.queensfilmtheatre.com.
Queen’s Film Theatre, 20 University Square, Belfast, BT7 1PA. Phone number: 029 9097 1305 Email: qftma...@qub.ac.uk

Queen's Film Theatre

Feb 5, 2021, 5:05:20 AM2/5/21
to studionort...@gmail.com
More from QFT Player
Hi Stu,
This week we're putting our friends at WANDA front and centre. They're back for another year of feminist film that you can delve into at home. We've also added a new film to our NI Science Festival line-up. Plus, you might have seen some teasers on our social media for a new project from our younger sibling LUMI.
Enjoy!
New This Week
Katie Jarvis in Fish Tank
FROM 4 - 7 FEB
WANDA Festival
Our friends at WANDA, the local feminist film festival, are back with a series of events available to stream on their website. Films available include Andrea Arnold's Fish Tank, Filipino trans drama Lingua Franca, the experimental Kristina Talking Pictures, as well as a number of ace panel discussions.
Browse the programme
Poster for Murder Me Monster
New NI Science Festival Film Added
An up close image of an indistinguishable thing
ON QFT PLAYER FROM MON 15 FEB
NI Science Festival 2021:
Minute Bodies: The Intimate World Of
F. Percy Smith
If you thought we were done adding films to QFT Player's upcoming line-up of NI Science Festival goodness then oh boy were you wrong. Just added is Tindersticks' Stuart A. Staples' Minute Bodies, a meditative and immersive tribute to the astonishing work and achievements of naturalist, inventor and pioneering British filmmaker F. Percy Smith.

Don't forget about the previously announced Origin of the Species, Sisters with Transistors, and Plastic Cup. The full NI Science Festival line-up features over 120 events and runs between 15-28 February.
See the Programme
Image for new streaming service
New for your Ears and Eyes
Three red faces
FREE ON QFT PLAYER
Lean Logic: Mother Machine
Mother Machine is a new song and video by Lean Logic, and the second single to be taken from their forthcoming album, The Last Mirage (out in the Spring on O Genesis Recordings, an independent record label curated by The Charlatans' Tim Burgess).

The project is a collaboration between Queen's University alumnus Nick Carlisle and Rose Keeler-Schäffeler, written and recorded during the lockdown of 2020. Lean Logic's previous single Safe in a Dream is also available for free on QFT Player.

If you are reading this on a Friday then you'll know it is Bandcamp Friday, which means if you buy music from Bandcamp all the revenue goes to the artist. Wunderbar. Head over to Lean Logic's Bandcamp page and show them some love.
Watch Now
Ceasefire Generation
Free recommended viewing this week
A woman and man in formal dress
AVAILABLE ON BBC iPLAYER
The Magnificent Ambersons
You've seen Citizen Kane (if you haven't it's also on iPlayer) but some argue Orson Welles' follow up to The Best Film Ever™ is even better. Decide for yourself.
Watch Now
Support us Banner
Queen's Film Theatre is supported by
Queen's University Belfast
BFI
Follow Us
facebook
twitter
instagram
 Privacy policy  |  Unsubscribe
This email is sent by Queen’s Film Theatre as a result of you signing up to be a QFT member.
Your details will not be passed on to any other companies. For further information visit www.queensfilmtheatre.com.
Queen’s Film Theatre, 20 University Square, Belfast, BT7 1PA. Phone number: 029 9097 1305 Email: qftma...@qub.ac.uk

Queen's Film Theatre

Feb 12, 2021, 6:34:09 AM2/12/21
to studionort...@gmail.com
More from QFT Player
Hi Stu,
We're very excited to finally reveal the first part of Ceasefire Generation - a new docuseries from our younger sibling - LUMI - about life in NI through the eyes of the generation who grew up post-conflict. Plus, Belfast Children's Festival has just launched their programme and NI Science Fest is just around the corner.
FIRST EPISODE NOW ON IGTV
Ceasefire Generation
Last year, when you could be in a room with other people, we spoke to ten young people born after 1998 about life in post-conflict NI. Ceasefire Generation is the result.

The 6-part docuseries voices their thoughts, feelings and experiences. So often left out of the conversation, they have plenty to say.

Follow LUMI on Instagram to get a first look, as we release Ceasefire Generation over the coming weeks, before it comes to QFT Player.

Our first episode is available now – an open and honest conversation on Cultural Identity.
Watch Now on IGTV

Find Out More
NI Science Festival Begins on Monday
Pre-book now
Plastic Cup: The Official Story Of The Plastic Pirates
From Mon 15 Feb

Set a reminder
Minute Bodies: The Intimate World Of F. Percy Smith
From Mon 15 Feb

Pre-book now
Origin Of The Species
From Wed 17 Feb

Pre-book now
Sisters With Transistors
Fri 26–Sun 28 Feb
Orange banner with Young at Arts Y logo text reads Belfast Children's Festival Online 5-14 March 2021
Belfast Children's Festival
We're delighted to be partnering up with Belfast Children's Festival this year for their online edition including favourites like Baby Rave. From 5–14 March, we'll have a brilliant programme of theatre, visual art, music, dance, literature, and comedy on QFT Player.
Browse the programme

Brand New Price
Truman Capote
Now only £4.49
The Capote Tapes
We're only two months into 2021 and we already have a contender for documentary of the year. The Capote Tapes explores the impact of author Truman Capote's explosive unfinished novel Answered Prayers. Even better, it is now only £4.49 on QFT Player. Bargain!
Book Now
Free recommended viewing this week
A close up of a black couple dancing together
AVAILABLE ON BBC iPLAYER
Small Axe
Okay, this isn't just one film, but a whole host of brilliant work directed by Steve McQueen. These five films are love letters to black resilience and triumph in London's West Indian community. Some of the best films to be released in 2020.
Watch Now
Support us Banner
P.S. It's our friends at MUBI's 14th birthday on Sunday, so they're giving the whole world a whole day of MUBI for free. If you haven't tried them out, it's the perfect chance.

Queen's Film Theatre is supported by
Queen's University Belfast
BFI
Follow Us
facebook
twitter
instagram
 Privacy policy  |  Unsubscribe
This email is sent by Queen’s Film Theatre as a result of you signing up to be a QFT member.
Your details will not be passed on to any other companies. For further information visit www.queensfilmtheatre.com.
Queen’s Film Theatre, 20 University Square, Belfast, BT7 1PA. Phone number: 029 9097 1305 Email: qftma...@qub.ac.uk

Queen's Film Theatre

Feb 19, 2021, 5:08:47 AM2/19/21
to studionort...@gmail.com
More from QFT Player
Hi Stu,
This week we are delighted to present the first films of this year's NI Science Festival. If you are looking for chemistry then QFT and NI Science Festival have it 😉 Elsewhere we have drama White Colour Black available to purchase, new episodes of LUMI's Ceasefire Generation, the latest In Conversation from our friends at the Seamus Heaney Centre, upcoming events for all the family as part of Young at Art's Belfast Children's Festival and a free film recommendation from a familiar face.
Now on QFT Player
A robot
NOW STREAMING UNTIL SUN 28 FEB
NI Science Festival
At last, QFT and the NI Science Festival are delighted to bring their celebration of science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics to QFT Player. Three films are currently live - Plastic Cup; Minute Bodes; and Origin of the Species (including a special Q&A with the director) - with two more - Wilderland Wildlife Film Festival and Sisters with Transistors - arriving in the coming days. Get your geek on this weekend!
Book Now
New to Buy
A man's face surrounded by hands
PURCHASE FOR £8.99
White Colour Black
London based photographer Leke (Dudley O'Shaughnessy) must leave his carefree, hedonistic lifestyle behind when a message from Senegal calls for him to return 'home'.
Book Now
NEW EPISODES NOW ON IGTV
Ceasefire Generation
Last year, when you could be in a room with other people, we spoke to ten young people born after 1998 about life in post-conflict NI. Ceasefire Generation is the result.

The 6-part docuseries voices their thoughts, feelings and experiences. So often left out of the conversation, they have plenty to say.

Follow LUMI on Instagram to get a first look, as we release Ceasefire Generation over the coming weeks, before it comes to QFT Player.

The first three episodes are available now – includes topics like Cultural Identity, the Troubles and Growing up LGBTQ.
From the Seamus Heaney Centre
In Conversation: Anne Carson & Robert Currie with Nick Laird
The Seamus Heaney Centre's Professor Nick Laird joins the poet Anne Carson along with her partner and collaborator, the artist Robert Currie, in conversation with students from Queen's University Belfast.
Watch Now
Belfast Children's Festival
We're delighted to be partnering up with Belfast Children's Festival this year for their online edition, which includes festival faves like Baby Rave. From 5–14 March, we'll host their brilliant programme of theatre, visual art, music, dance, literature, and comedy on QFT Player.
Browse the programme

Free recommended viewing this week
Domhnall Gleeson
AVAILABLE ON ALL4
The Little Stranger
This week's recommended film is a post-war gothic drama directed by friend of QFT Lenny Abrahamson and stars Domhnall Gleeson and Ruth Wilson. Check out Lenny's free Seamus Heaney Centre conversation on QFT Player.
Watch Now
Support us Banner
Queen's Film Theatre is supported by
Queen's University Belfast
BFI
Follow Us
facebook
twitter
instagram
 Privacy policy  |  Unsubscribe
This email is sent by Queen’s Film Theatre as a result of you signing up to be a QFT member.
Your details will not be passed on to any other companies. For further information visit www.queensfilmtheatre.com.
Queen’s Film Theatre, 20 University Square, Belfast, BT7 1PA. Phone number: 029 9097 1305 Email: qftma...@qub.ac.uk

Queen's Film Theatre

Feb 26, 2021, 5:37:40 AM2/26/21
to studionort...@gmail.com
Last chance for NI Science Festival
Hi Stu,
Merry weekend! Feeling uninspired by your watch list?
We've got the films to see you through the weekend. Plus, more festivals coming your way.
The last weekend of NI Science Festival
A robot
UNTIL SUN 28 FEB
NI Science Festival
It's nearly time for us to bid farewell to NI Science Festival. It's been absolutely swell. But before it's all over, we've got Sisters With Transistors coming to QFT Player tonight. It's the remarkable story of electronic music’s female pioneers, composers who embraced machines to utterly transform how we produce and listen to music today.
Plastic Cup and Minute Bodies are still available to rent all this weekend too.
Book Now
Coming soon to QFT Player
FROM FRI 5 MAR
Eye of the Storm
With his eyesight failing, one of Britain’s greatest landscape painters attempts one final masterpiece. James Morrison reflects on his remarkable artistic journey in this beautiful doc from Anthony Baxter.
Find Out More
ALL EPISODES NOW ON IGTV
Ceasefire Generation
Today the final episode of Ceasefire Generation arrives LUMI's Instagram account. See the first 5 before tuning in. Ten young people talk about what life has been like for them in Northern Ireland, covering mental health, cultural identity, racism and more.
Keep an eye out for all 6 episodes coming to QFT Player next week.
Belfast Children's Festival
Baby Rave @ Home
A Belfast Children's Festival favourite, Baby Rave returns in an at home edition. Get your living rooms gussied up and boogie down with your tots. You can pre-book now along with other Belfast Children's Festival events taking place 5-14 Mar.
Pre-book now
Our QFT Player Picks for LGBTQ History Month
Rent Now
Cocoon

Rent Now
Ten Plagues

Watch For Free
Becoming Cherrie
Free recommended viewing this week
Two young people play video games in their boxers
AVAILABLE ON ALL4
Best British Short: Two Steps Forward
These five films, which celebrate LGBT+ lives past, present and future, offer up a ray of hope.
Watch Now
Support us Banner
Queen's Film Theatre is supported by
Queen's University Belfast
BFI
Follow Us
facebook
twitter
instagram
 Privacy policy  |  Unsubscribe
This email is sent by Queen’s Film Theatre as a result of you signing up to be a QFT member.
Your details will not be passed on to any other companies. For further information visit www.queensfilmtheatre.com.
Queen’s Film Theatre, 20 University Square, Belfast, BT7 1PA. Phone number: 029 9097 1305 Email: qftma...@qub.ac.uk

Queen's Film Theatre

Mar 5, 2021, 6:30:37 AM3/5/21
to studionort...@gmail.com
The Belfast Children's Festival Comes to QFT Player
Hi Stu,
Young at Art's Belfast Children's Festival kicks off today on QFT Player with a series of events certain to bring your family joy. We also welcome the arrival of Anthony Baxter's doc Eye of the Storm, the next part in the Ulster Gaeilge: It's Yours Too! series and see the addition of all parts of LUMI's Ceasefire Generation.
Belfast Children's Festival
FRI 5 MAR - SUN 14 MAR
Belfast Children's Festival Online
The Belfast Children's Festival is an annual international festival for children aged 0-17 and their accompanying grown ups. This year's festival takes place online between 5-14 March, and features a packed programme of events guaranteed to inspire joy, creativity and curiosity. Don't miss the famous Baby Rave, or comedian Paul Currie's RELEASE THE BABOONS - Part 5, or a series of bedtimes stories from the one and only Cherrie Ontop. And that's not all! Check out the full programme of QFT Player events here.
Book Now
Available Now on QFT Player
Eye of the Storm Poster
FROM TODAY
Eye of the Storm
With his eyesight failing, one of Britain’s greatest landscape painters attempts one final masterpiece. James Morrison reflects on his remarkable artistic journey in this beautiful doc from Anthony Baxter. Each rental also contains an audio described version of the film. Both versions include optional captions.

In addition to the film, the Scottish Gallery and Screen Language have curated a beautiful, immersive virtual exhibition of James Morrison's work - complete with audio description for those with sight loss.
Rent the Film

See the Virtual Exhibition
ALL EPISODES NOW ON QFT PLAYER
Ceasefire Generation
All six episodes of LUMI's series Ceasefire Generation have now arrived on QFT Player. Ten young people talk about what life has been like for them in Northern Ireland, covering mental health, cultural identity, racism and more.
Watch Now

Find Out More
Ivor's Story
A cartoon of a man sitting on a bench
WATCH FOR FREE
Ulster Gaeilge: Ivor
Ulster Gaeilge: It's Yours Too! is a series of short animations that aims to show the many and different ways in which people in East Belfast and beyond are engaging with the Irish Language.
Watch Now
Support QFT
Poly Styrene posing
FROM TODAY
Poly Styrene: I Am A Cliché
Featuring unseen archive material and rare diary entries narrated by Oscar-nominee Ruth Negga, Poly Styrene: I Am A Cliché is the story of the frontwoman of X-Ray Spex, the Anglo-Somali punk musician who was a key inspiration for the riot grrrl and Afropunk movements and became the first woman of colour in the UK to front a successful rock band.

When you purchase Poly Styrene: I Am A Cliché be sure to select Queen's Film Theatre at checkout, as it means we get a split of the revenue and can keep bringing you great independent film for many decades to come.

Also available: Iorram (Boat Song), the first cinema documentary entirely in Scottish Gaelic.
Book Now
Free recommended viewing this week
Two young men holding eachother
AVAILABLE ON BBC iPLAYER
Beats
A universal story of friendship and rebellion set to an electrifying 1990s rave soundtrack, Beats is a bittersweet Scottish coming-of-age story executive produced by Steven Soderbergh.
Watch Now
Support us Banner
Queen's Film Theatre is supported by
Queen's University Belfast
BFI
Follow Us
facebook
twitter
instagram
 Privacy policy  |  Unsubscribe
This email is sent by Queen’s Film Theatre as a result of you signing up to be a QFT member.
Your details will not be passed on to any other companies. For further information visit www.queensfilmtheatre.com.
Queen’s Film Theatre, 20 University Square, Belfast, BT7 1PA. Phone number: 029 9097 1305 Email: qftma...@qub.ac.uk

Queen's Film Theatre

Mar 12, 2021, 6:38:45 AM3/12/21
to studionort...@gmail.com
The Musician Comes to QFT Player
Hi Stu,
Another batch of brilliant virtual films are coming your way down the internet tube. This week QFT Player presents new additions to the Belfast Children's Festival including the world premiere of The Musician, the thrilling doc Killing Escobar, and a recommendation of a great film you can watch on free TV.
Exclusive World Premiere
Poster for The Musician
FROM FRI 12 MAR, 7PM
The Musician
Streaming on QFT Player as part of Young at Art's Belfast Children's Festival, the award-winning Belfast Ensemble presents the exclusive world premiere of The Musician, Conor Mitchell’s darkly comic operatic retelling of the story of the Pied Piper.

Filmed recently at the Lyric Theatre, this local production is musically extraordinary and vibrant. Available to stream worldwide, it is not to be missed.

Available from 7pm on Friday 12 March until Wednesday 17 March.
Pre-Order Now

More Info
More Events Added
Cherrie Ontop
ENDING 17 MARCH
Belfast Children's Festival '21
The Belfast Children's Festival from Young at Art continues this weekend with some new additions to the programme. Three new Dragtime Bedtime stories from Cherrie Ontop will be added, you'll see the return of festival favourite Insect Hands and Sunny Days and the continuation of programme favourites RELEASE THE BABOONS - Part 5, Baby Rave and MY PLACE, to name a few. The festival finishes on Sunday 14 March, with some events extended until Wednesday 17 March, so get everyone together for a weekend of family viewing while you still can.
Explore the Programme

Watch Now
Rent Now on QFT Player
Pablo Escobar's Face
OUT TODAY
Killing Escobar
A Scottish mercenary and ex-SAS operative is hired by a Colombian drug cartel to assassinate the world’s biggest drug baron, Pablo Escobar.

With heartstopping drama reconstruction, access to never-before-seen footage of the mission and first person accounts from both the mercenaries and the cartel, Killing Escobar is a documentary thriller that reveals how one man's violent upbringing in Glasgow, training in the SAS and experience as a mercenary in Africa led him to the jungles of Colombia and the heart of the Medellín cocaine empire.
Rent Now
ALL EPISODES NOW ON QFT PLAYER
Ceasefire Generation
All six episodes of LUMI's series Ceasefire Generation are available on QFT Player. Ten young people talk about what life has been like for them in Northern Ireland, covering mental health, cultural identity, racism and more.
Free recommended viewing this week
Mother and daughter
AVAILABLE ON ALL4
For Sama
An epic and intimate journey filmed through five years of the uprising in Syria, Waad al-Kateab tells the story of how she fell in love, married and gave birth to her daughter Sama.
Watch Now
Support us Banner
Queen's Film Theatre is supported by
Queen's University Belfast
BFI
Follow Us
facebook
twitter
instagram
 Privacy policy  |  Unsubscribe
This email is sent by Queen’s Film Theatre as a result of you signing up to be a QFT member.
Your details will not be passed on to any other companies. For further information visit www.queensfilmtheatre.com.
Queen’s Film Theatre, 20 University Square, Belfast, BT7 1PA. Phone number: 029 9097 1305 Email: qftma...@qub.ac.uk

Queen's Film Theatre

Mar 19, 2021, 6:34:47 AM3/19/21
to studionort...@gmail.com
The Imagine! Festival Comes to QFT Player
Hi Stu,
As one festival ends, another one begins. We say goodbye to the Belfast Children's Festival and hello to the Imagine! Festival of Ideas & Politics, who bring their trademark blend of topical and challenging events to QFT Player. As well as that there are two new, absolutely free docs, one about the San Francisco funk musician Doug Hream Blunt and the other concerning mysterious Nigerian musician William Onyeabor, both for the pleasure of your eyes, ears and heart. Also, our friends at the Seamus Heaney Centre bring you their latest In Conversation event, this time with author Marian Keyes.

This past week marked a year since we closed our doors (the first time around). It's been tough and we'd greatly appreciate if you could take some time to read about how you can support QFT. A new horizon is beckoning and we will hopefully see you all again soon.
Begins Monday 22 March
Two pigs from Gunda
FROM MON 22 - SUN 28 MAR
Imagine! Festival of Ideas and Politics
Imagine! Festival of Ideas & Politics invites you to join them in discussing the big issues of our times, including new ideas on politics, culture and activism. Their programme of challenging events exploring this dangerous new world runs from 22-28 March, with free screenings every night on QFT Player.

Films available include human rights doc Nasrin, John T. Davis’ thoughtful A House Divided, globetrotting sustainability film Eat, Grow, Love, LUMI choices Made in France: In the Name of War and Hikikomori: The Locked Generation, as well as the experimental Gunda.
Full Programme

More Info
Available for Free
Hream and David Byrne
WATCH NOW
HREAM
HREAM is a new documentary profiling the life of San Francisco funk outsider Doug Hream Blunt. In a feel-good story at a time when experiencing live music isn't possible, the film highlights the non-traditional connections music creates between players of all ages, experience-levels, and social statuses.

Creating a new band in each city he performs, Blunt is joined by a multitude of 12-15-year-old students as well as established musicians such as David Byrne, Peanut Butter Wolf, Luke Jenner of the Rapture, and Joakim, as well as Blunt’s fans Sudan Archives and Jamie Lidell.
Watch Now
If You Like That, You'll Like This
William Onyeabor in a cowboy hat
WATCH NOW FOR FREE
Fantastic Man
Fantastic Man is a doc investigating Nigerian musician William Onyeabor, a man shrouded in mystery and with famous fans including Damon Albarn, Caribou and Femi Kuti.
Watch Now
New From The Seamus Heaney Centre
Marian Keyes laughing
IN CONVERSATION
Marian Keyes & Louise Kennedy
Queen's Alumni and the Seamus Heaney Centre at Queen's are delighted to present Marian Keyes in conversation with SHC's Ciaran Carson Fellow, Louise Kennedy for the latest edition of The Book Club.

Marian Keyes is the author of fourteen novels that have sold over 40 million copies worldwide and been translated into 36 languages.

For information on upcoming events in the series, visit the Seamus Heaney Centre.
Book Now
Still Available
Pablo Escobar's face
ON QFT PLAYER
Killing Escobar
A Scottish mercenary and ex-SAS operative is hired by a drug cartel to assassinate the world’s biggest drug baron in the thrilling doc Killing Escobar.
Rent Now
Free recommended viewing this week
Shane MacGowan with a microphone
AVAILABLE ON BBC iPLAYER
Crock of Gold: A Few Rounds with Shane MacGowan
The wild and roving life of the punk poet, as told by Shane and a small, intimate cast of close friends and family.
Watch Now
Support us Banner
Queen's Film Theatre is supported by
Queen's University Belfast
BFI
Follow Us
facebook
twitter
instagram
 Privacy policy  |  Unsubscribe
This email is sent by Queen’s Film Theatre as a result of you signing up to be a QFT member.
Your details will not be passed on to any other companies. For further information visit www.queensfilmtheatre.com.
Queen’s Film Theatre, 20 University Square, Belfast, BT7 1PA. Phone number: 029 9097 1305 Email: qftma...@qub.ac.uk

Queen's Film Theatre

Mar 26, 2021, 6:31:11 AM3/26/21
to studionort...@gmail.com
The Imagine! Festival Continues on QFT Player
Hi Stu,
The wonderful Imagine! Festival continues this weekend with three films that are absolutely free. We are also happy to announce an Oscar-nominated film will be coming to QFT Player soon and we have also reduced the price of Anthony Baxter's Eye of the Storm. Plus, have a film recommendation on us, just for being you 😉
More Imagine! Festival
FINISHES SUN 28 MAR
Imagine! Festival of Ideas and Politics
The Imagine! Festival of Ideas & Politics continues this weekend with a batch of free films designed to challenge your ideas on politics, culture and activism. On Friday, LUMI's young programmers present Hikikomori: The Locked Generation, a topical documentary about the phenomenon of reclusive adolescents and adults who withdraw from the public world and seek extreme degrees of isolation. Sunday sees an exclusive preview of a film that represents experimental cinema in its purest form with Gunda which chronicles the unfiltered lives of a mother pig, a flock of chickens, and a herd of cows. As well as these, John T. Davis' A House Divided is available for free all week.
Full Programme

More Info
Coming Soon to QFT Player
Steven Yeun and Yeri Han embrace
AVAILABLE TO RENT FROM FRI 2 APR
Minari
Nominated for six Academy Awards, Minari is a tender and sweeping semi-autobiographical story of a Korean-American family moving to a tiny Arkansas farm in search of their own American Dream.
More Info
New Low Price
James Morrison looking off camera
NOW JUST £4.99
Eye of the Storm
With his eyesight failing, one of Britain’s greatest landscape painters - James Morrison -  attempts one final masterpiece in Anthony Baxter's (You've Been Trumped) new documentary Eye of the Storm, now available for the reduced price of £4.99.

Each rental also contains an audio described version of the film, for the benefit of our blind and visually impaired patrons. Both versions also include captions.
Book Now
Free recommended viewing this week
Samantha Robinson in The Love Witch
AVAILABLE ON ALL 4
The Love Witch
A stylised thriller taking place in 1960s California, where a beautiful raven-haired woman uses occult potions, concoctions and spells in her (frequently backfiring) quest for love.
Watch Now
Support us Banner
Queen's Film Theatre is supported by
Queen's University Belfast
BFI
Follow Us
facebook
twitter
instagram
 Privacy policy  |  Unsubscribe
This email is sent by Queen’s Film Theatre as a result of you signing up to be a QFT member.
Your details will not be passed on to any other companies. For further information visit www.queensfilmtheatre.com.
Queen’s Film Theatre, 20 University Square, Belfast, BT7 1PA. Phone number: 029 9097 1305 Email: qftma...@qub.ac.uk

Queen's Film Theatre

Apr 2, 2021, 3:32:31 AM4/2/21
to studionort...@gmail.com
QFT Player Celebrates its 1st Birthday! 🎉
Hi Stu,
They grow so fast, don't they? This weekend marks one year since we launched QFT Player. In that time we've shown 300 films, ranging from shorts to docs to animated stories, that have been viewed in as many as 46 countries, including Vietnam, New Zealand, Kenya, and Brazil. We've been overwhelmed by the positive response and truly believe that this proves that film exists to unite us across borders.

To celebrate, we have a bumper week ahead. Firstly we present the beautiful, six-time Oscar-nominated Minari, which is already a firm favourite among our staff. As well as that, we've brought back a number of QFT Player audience favourites that will be available for free this weekend, including our first ever film Abomination: A DUP Opera

The newsletter will be taking a break over Easter (those eggs won't eat themselves!). We will be back Fri 16 April.
Available Now
A man in a red hat and his son
RENT NOW ON QFT PLAYER
Minari
Nominated for six Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Minari is director Lee Isaac Chung's tender and sweeping semi-autobiographical story of a Korean-American family moving to a tiny Arkansas farm in search of their own American Dream.

"Sensitively written and acted, beautifully shot, and with a charming, sparingly used score, Minari is so engaging that it's easy to forget how radical it is. - ★★★★★" - Nicholas Barber, BBC
Watch Now

Read the Review
A Festival of Jazz in Belfast
Lakecia Benjamin with an instrument
£10 FOR TEN CONCERTS
Brilliant Corners
Highly recommended by our jazz-loving programmer, Brilliant Corners is an online festival of jazz made just for you and consisting of performances recorded in places such as New York, Paris, Berlin and Maghera. Artists include Lakecia Benjamin, Witch n Monk, Jaimie Branch and more. All ten concerts cost £10 and you can watch whenever you like.
Watch Now
Returning to QFT Player
Still from Abomination
SIX FILMS FOR FREE
QFT Player's First Birthday
To celebrate the first anniversary of QFT Player's launch, we are delighted to present a number of audience favourites that have graced the service over the past year. From Fri 2 - Sun 4 April you can watch the likes of John T. Davis' Hobo and Route 66, Éanna Mac Cana's Belfast City Hospital short doc Yellowstone, Mariah Garnett's remarkable debut film Trouble, and two fantastic productions from the Belfast Ensemble - Ten Plagues and Abomination: A DUP Opera, the latter of which was the first film shown on QFT Player and was watched in 33 countries by nearly 6,000 people.

All screening free of charge.
See the Programme
New Low Price
Pablo Escobar and Peter McAleese
NOW JUST £4.99
Killing Escobar
An ex-SAS operative is hired to assassinate Pablo Escobar in this thrilling doc revealing how one man's violent upbringing in Glasgow and experience as a mercenary in Africa led him to the jungles of Colombia and the heart of the Medellín cocaine empire.
Watch Now
Free recommended viewing this week
A girl and some sea lions
AVAILABLE ON BBC iPLAYER
Song of the Sea
The second feature film from Cartoon Saloon (Wolfwalkers), Song of the Sea follows Ben and Saoirse as they undertake an epic adventure and encounter many surprises.