✒Declarations 70: Art Deco

1 view

Declan Shalvey

Apr 6, 2021, 10:04:41 AM4/6/21
to studionort...@gmail.com
Time Before Time: Process Edition reveal!
View this email in your browser
DECLARATIONS

A biweekly newsletter by artist/writer Declan Shalvey.
Greetings all. I'm still plowing away, not getting any less busy, but that's a good thing.
ALL THE LATEST
Spinning various wheels as usual since last we spoke (or, I spoke, I guess) with both PROJECT PASSENGER PLUS and PROJECT GRAVITY eating up most of my time. I got a couple of covers done that needed a fast turnaround, so didn't get to my commission list this past couple of weeks.

I'm just wrapping up the second chapter of PROJECT GRAVITY, handing in the final colours today. I'd really like to tease some of it here, but every panel is pretty much a spoiler.
Pretty happy with it though, I think it's lookig good.

I did just see that a new series by my pal Ed Brisson was just announced; BEYOND THE BREACH, a new series written by Ed, with artist Damian Couceiro from Aftershock. I've read #1 and it's some excellent sci-fi horror comics. I've liked Damian's work for years, him and Ed are an excellent team. Ed asked if I'd be up for doing a variant cover and I was more than happy to oblige.
TIME BEFORE TIME
TIME BEFORE TIME arc 1 is off to the races! I'm handing in my lettering notes for #5 today and I handed in #1 to Image yesterday. Feels ggod to draw a line under so much work (great work, at that) by everyone on the team.

Myself and Rory had a big writing call a week or so ago and I have to say I was really buzzing after it. We were breaking down Arc 2 but it was hard to stop ourselves from talking about where the series could go if we get to do even more volumes. We have something special planned for a specific issue, but too soon to talk about that. All this really depends on the book performing well so please, if you haven't told your local retailer you want a copy, TELL THEM NOW. The final Order Cutoff is fast approaching, April 19th in fact, which is the day before the next Declataritions newsletter, so this is your final warning. Order Code for #1 is
MAR210037

As a special tease, here's Christian Ward's artwork for #3 B cover. Isn't it lovely?
There's another reason why you may want to get on the TIME BEFORE TIME train. Announcing something special to accompany the new series...
PROJECT PASSENGER PLUS
I've been teasing PROJECT PASSENGER PLUS for the last month, and can finally reveal here. To coincide with the release of TIME BEFORE TIME (previously referred to as PROJECT PASSENGER) I'm launching a Kickstarter; the TIME BEFORE TIME: PROCESS EDITION... a process book all about the making of the series, stage by stage.
Many here really respond well to the process posts when I have time to do them. That being the case, I think ye'll really enjoy this. It's a 48 page black and white book, with creator interviews, sketches, designs, layouts, final inks by series artist Joe Palmer, along with a feature on my covers for the series.
Not only that, but for those who get to pledge at a special and limited 'Collector' tier, you'll get the special Collector Edition, which upgrades the book into a full color 60 page book, with a special gold foil cover.
Along ith the added page count and colour upgrade, the Collector Edition will have sections on colouring by Chris O'Halloran, lettering by Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou and design by Sasha Head.
Note: There will only be 150 numbered copies of this Collector Edition so go click on the launch page, click 'notify  when launched' to be the first to get that Collector Edition.
TBT Process Edition launch page
If you're a process-junkie like me, I think this is something you'd really enjoy. Essentially it's the 'extra features' you'd see in a trade paperback, but far more in-depth, really digging in on all the aspects of making a creator owned series in a way regular backmatter never can.
We have some cool rewards available, such as exclusive prints, stickers, trading cards and a piece of original TBT art by myself.
The below original art piece is actually a collaboration between myself and Joe Palmer; he came up with the image layout, and I penciled/inked over them. This is a truly unique piece of art featuring all the main players from the series, only available via this Kickstarter.
I'm hoping many of you Decolytes will click through to the launch page and hit the notification button to be first in line for the TBT: Process Edition. Between us, the campaign itself will launch Monday next week, one week before the FOC for TBT #1. Best click on that notification button now, before all this is shared online.
I'm launching this Kickstarter as a debut 'Art Deco' publication. Depending on the performance of this book, I'd like to be able to make similar types of process material under this Art Deco banner, like art books, sketchbooks, etc. Things I've talked about doing that are outside of the usual narrative work, like a book of layouts, or collecting work outside of Marvel/DC. Books like this have a very specific audience, and it's tough to reach them through the mainstream channels in a way that isn't very financially risky. I'm hopeful this Art Deco Kickstarter will be a way of making more art-specific books down the line for an audience that would really enjoy them. We'll see how it goes, I guess!
DEC RECS
THE SILVER COIN
Art/colours/letters by Michael Walsh
Written by Chip Zdarsky
Published by Image Comics

I got to read the first issue of this unique series where the artist draws all the issues but each one is by a different writer. Michael Walsh is the artist in question here, and he has really levelled up with this project. The issue is beautifully drawn (and coloured and lettered!) by Walsh, pages dripping with mood and frenzy. This is a spectacular showcase for Walsh and boy does he deliver.

This first issue is written by Chip Zdarsky and he really delivers on this too, which shuould be no surprise at theis stage. Chip is known for his excellent comedy but by now from his work on Daredevil, Stillwater etc, it's clear he's a writer with great pathos, all of which is contained in The Silver Coin #1. I can be so complimentary about these guys as I'm pretty sure neither of them read this newsletter, so I really do mean it when I say ye should pick up this first issue. It delivers a satisfying story in one issue, leaving me very curious to see where it goes next.
I discovered a couple of great YouTube channels recently. First, Elsa Charretier has started a video series where she examines comic pages and dives into the storytelling techniques behind them. It's clear Elsa is passionate about storytelling and technique and it really shows. It's really interesting stuff.

Also, Marvel Editor Tom Brevoort had started a video series talking about editing. Tom is one of the great editors of the medium, I've listened to a couple now and he gives some great, practical and helpful advice. A man with such great industry experience is giving out amazing information for free; take advantage of it.
OUT SOON
April 28th
DEAD MAN LOGAN COMPLETE COLLECTION TP (C)

May 12th
TIME BEFORE TIME #1 CVR A SHALVEY (W,C)
TIME BEFORE TIME #1 CVR B LEON (W,C)

June 16th
TIME BEFORE TIME #2 CVR A SHALVEY (W,C)
TIME BEFORE TIME #2 CVR B WIJNGAARD (W)
Okay, that's all from me this week. I'll be back again in a couple of weeks. Feel free to share the subscribe link between now and then.

Dec.
Twitter
Facebook
Website