Le Fanu's "Green Tea" Anniversary Edition

Swan River Press

Sep 7, 2019, 1:45:00 PM9/7/19
to studionort...@gmail.com
Order Green Tea
Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.

October 2019
Hardback
xiv + 93 pages

978-1-78380-029-2

Our Forthcoming Title

GREEN TEA
150th Anniversary Edition

by J. Sheridan Le Fanu

Available to order at:

swanriverpress.ie/title_greentea.html

Numbered edition (100)
available while supplies last.

"The delight of hell is to do evil to man, and to hasten his eternal ruin." — Swedenborg

Published alongside “Carmilla” in the landmark collection In a Glass Darkly (1872), Le Fanu’s “Green Tea” was first serialised in Charles Dickens’ magazine All the Year Round in 1869. Since its first publication, Le Fanu’s tale has lost none of its potency. “Green Tea” tells of the good natured Reverend Jennings, who writes late at night on arcane topics abetted by a steady supply of green tea. Is he insane or have these nocturnal activities opened an “interior sight” that affords a route of entry for an increasingly malignant simian companion? This 150th anniversary edition of “Green Tea”, with illustrations by Alisdair Wood and an introduction by Matthew Holness, is the definitive celebration of Le Fanu’s masterpiece of psychological terror and despair.

Contents
"Introduction"
Matthew Holness

"Green Tea"
J. Sheridan Le Fanu

"Some Meditations on 'Green Tea' "
Jim Rockhill & Brian J. Showers

"Exterior Visions: Assessments of 'Green Tea'
by Le Fanu's Contemporaries"
Jim Rockhill & Brian J. Showers

"Acknowledgements"

Each copy of this illustrated 150th anniversary edition will issue with two postcards and come signed by the book's contributors: Matthew Holness, Alisdair Wood, Jim Rockhill, and Brian J. Showers. Each copy will also include a CD of a specially commissioned recording of Le Fanu's classic tale, adapted with original music by Reggie Chamberlain-King and performed by Belfast's Wireless Mystery Theatre.

Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu was born in Dublin on 28 August 1814. Though he worked as a journalist and owned several newspapers, he is now best remembered for his pioneering tales of the psychological and supernatural such as “Schalken the Painter”, “Sir Dominick’s Bargain”, and “Carmilla”. His notable novels include The House by the Churchyard (1863) and Uncle Silas (1864). Le Fanu’s seminal short story collection In a Glass Darkly was published in late 1872, less than a year before his death on 7 February 1873.

Reviews

"John Howard's tales seemed to me like suitable summer reading. Many of the stories concern overlit urban landscapes not unlike those in the stories of J.G. Ballard, though the mood is very different . . . . There are also some stories that recall Arthur Machen's approach to London, his insistence that the great metropolis is a place of magic and mystery."

- David Longhorn, Supernatural Tales

Buy a copy.

Last Copies

We're down to the last nine copies of Le Fanu's Reminiscences of a Bachelor, which collects, along with "The Watcher",  "The Fatal Bride", a brooding gothic novella not reprinted since its first publication in 1848.

"Atmospheric and cleverly built . . . a suspenseful, enticing narration providing further evidence of Le Fanu’s uncanny storytelling ability."

- Mario Guslandi, British Fantasy Society

Buy a copy.

Numbered Copies

For various reasons, I've got some spare numbered copies (some of which are signed) of a few of our in-print titles. And I need to clear a bit of space in the house: The Dummy, Not to Be Taken at Bed-Time, Sparks from the Fire, November Night Tales, Reminiscences of a Bachelor, The Silver Voices, Death Makes Strangers of Us All, and more. These books will strictly be first come, first serve.

If you'd like to see a full list of what's available, and prices, please email me.

Copyright © 2019 Swan River Press. All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
br...@swanriverpress.ie

This email was sent to studionort...@gmail.com
Swan River Press · Rathmines, Ireland · Rathmines, Dublin · Ireland

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp