#DBF2021 newsletter Feb 2021 From: #Dublin Book Festival @DublinBookFest

Studio NI

Feb 18, 2021, 3:00:35 AM2/18/21
to studio...@googlegroups.com
The latest news from Dublin Book Festival

Welcome back fellow book-lovers!

We are back for another instalment of bookish news, great events to look out for, and our latest blog post.

We have news! We are so excited to bring you exclusive plans for Dublin Book Festival 2021. This year, the festival will run from 12th – 15th November.

Read full DBF2021 Announcement Here

The DUBLIN Literary Award are delighted to announce the longlist of library nominations for 2021. Four novels from Ireland are among the 49 books nominated by libraries around the world for the respected literary prize which is sponsored by Dublin City Council.

Books are nominated for the award by invited public libraries in cities throughout the world, making the award unique in its coverage of international contemporary fiction. During Level 5 COVID-19 restrictions, readers can borrow some of the longlisted titles as eBooks and eAudiobooks on the free Borrowbox app, available to all public library users. All the novels nominated for the Award will be available for readers to borrow from Dublin’s public libraries and from public libraries around Ireland when Libraries reopen. The longlist of 49 titles can be viewed on the Award website at www.dublinliteraryaward.ie.

Enjoy discovering these terrific novels, and follow us on the journey to the next winner which will be announced on 20th May 2021 as part of the opening day programme of International Literature Festival Dublin (ILFDublin), also funded by Dublin City Council.

Visit the Dublin Literary Award Website

This week, we are celebrating the glory of the short story with a list of ten Irish collections that will remind you just how great they can be. Join us as we invite you to re-read some of your favourites, and discover some new collections too.

Read the Full Blog Here

Our partners have more great events coming up this fortnight. Check out our favourites below!
Children's Books Ireland are delighted to announce the Junior Juries’ scheme as part of the KPMG Children’s Books Ireland Awards is open for sign-up!

Junior Juries are a unique programme for schools, libraries and book clubs, designed to encourage reading for pleasure and appreciation for a wide variety of books for all ages.   Participating classes and book clubs make their own selection of suitable titles from the KPMG Children’s Books Ireland Awards shortlist, which will be announced on the 8th of March. We will provide your group with an activity pack so participants can engage with the chosen books by taking part in quizzes, debates, discussions, research projects, creative writing and visual art activities which will enhance their reading experience. At the end of this process each group is asked to collectively score the books they have read. Children’s Books Ireland will collate these scores to determine the winner of the Junior Juries’ Award, which will be presented by Junior Jury members at the official prize-giving online ceremony in May.

Registration is completely free and you can indicate your interest in receiving books, having an artist/author online school visit at this link.

Learn more about the awards here
MoLI are delighted to announce a brilliant line-up of guests for Ireland’s Generation X? over the next few months.

Each edition features a writer or artist in discussion with Professor Barry McCrea about growing up in an Ireland shaped by the Troubles, social justice movements, EU membership, the Peace Process, and the Celtic Tiger.

Presented by MoLI in partnership with the Keough-Naughton Institute for Irish Studies at the University of Notre Dame.

3 March - Claire Kilroy
18 March - Paul Murray
7 April - Nick Laird
5 May - Catriona Lally
2 June - Marl O'Halloran

VIew all MoLI Events

Are you between 15 and 17 years old and would you love to be a writer some day? Or, are you already one?

MoLI is offering a five-day, immersive, blended learning programme to 15 lucky students around Ireland. The Edna O’Brien Young Writers Bursary will take place both online and onsite in MoLI from 19 to 23 July 2021 (subject to public health guidelines).

Learn More about the Bursary
Creatures live everywhere - in your house, in your garden, in the forest, in the sea - and in your imagination! Writers age 7-12 are invited to send your stories about animals to Fighting Words as part of our What Lives In Your Imagination project!

All stories will be published on our website so have some fun this midterm and send us your stories, poems, illustrations, comics and songs! Submissions welcome in English or in Irish.
Create a story this midterm!

⏰Deadline is Friday, 19 February ⏰

Learn More about this Fighting Words Project

On Thursday 25 February Ireland Reads is inviting people of all ages to get reading.

Why? Because taking some time for yourself to relax and do the things you enjoy (like reading) is important to help look after your mental wellbeing.

Take the pledge below and see how many minutes people all over Ireland will be squeezing in to read on Thursday 25 February.

Learn More about Ireland Reads
That's all for now, dear friends. We'll stay checking in with you every few weeks over the coming months.

We hope you have days full of sunshine, fresh air and anything that makes you smile.

Til then,
The DBF Team
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Website
Email
YouTube

Copyright © 2020 Dublin Book Festival 2020. All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
in...@dublinbookfestival.com
Dublin Book Festival · 63 Patrick Street · Dun Laoghaire · Dublin, Leinster · Ireland
--
Studio NI: Promoting Arts and Culture in the North of Ireland since 2004. NIC101100