QFT's Monday Medicine ⛹️‍♀️ Sports

Queen's Film Theatre

Jul 6, 2020, 6:47:08 AM7/6/20
to studionort...@gmail.com
Links to keep you entertained this week
View Online
Queen's Film Theatre Weekly
Hi Stu,

I'm not going to lie, my exercise routine in lockdown started off so promising and has descended into tricking myself that watching people be sporty is the same as actually being sporty myself.

But more than substituting my exercise regimes, sport films remind us of our dreams, and often how we cope when the odds are stacked against us.

Which sport films speak to you? Let us know on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram

Take care,
Ellen
A young guy reads a book while walking with a man (his dad?)
Things to Read

📖 We've gone slightly off the beaten track for our sport film recommendations. Vulture has tried to rank the 50 Best Sports Movies of All Time. Do you agree? Read it here.

📖 I've been trying to find something which captures the magic of Hoop Dreams. Here, Christian Bennett writes for The Guardian about why it's his favourite film.

A man raises his arms up in the arm at the top of some steps
Things to Listen to
🎧 Big Screen Sports is a weekly film review podcast discussing the best and worst in the sports movie universe.. Listen here.

🎧 Little makes you feel more ready to take on the world than the Rocky soundtrack. Well, mainly Eye of the Tiger. Listen here.

The US Samoa football team crashing into a heap
Things to Watch
👀 Our resident true sport fan, Hugh says this "Sport has become a laughably obese money making machine, and is the very opposite from a level playing field. At its heart though, sport can be about the best of humanity, solidarity, togetherness, endurance and love. Next Goal Wins is a documentary about the US Samoa football team, who in 2001 were beaten 31-0 by Australia in the worst defeat in International football history. The film is the story of a coach, a team of brilliant humble people and how they repaired their love of the game in the face of despair. Recommended for football fans and football haters alike." Available on Amazon.

👀 Michael goes for Sugar by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck (who did Mississippi Grind, Half Nelson). "Imagine me loving a baseball film. But I do. And it's this one. It's more than a baseball film. It's an immigrant story - a baseball player is plucked from the Dominican Republic by a US baseball team, with promises of fame and fortune." Watch it here on Amazon.

👀 Joan recommends Lagaan. In 1890s India, an arrogant British commander challenges the harshly taxed residents of Champaner to a high-stakes cricket match. Watch it here on Netflix.

👀 Sports films make me think of the teen flicks of my youth, of girls showing how they could be whoever they wanted to be. Like Drew Barrymore's Whip It (rent it from YouTube here) or Gurinder Chadha's Bend It Like Beckham (rent it from BFI Player here).

Want to pause emails from us while we're closed? Just click below and we'll take you off our list for the duration of our closure. Have ideas for what we should do during the closure? We'd love to hear your thoughts. Email us on qftma...@qub.ac.uk.
Pause my emails

Get in touch
The Home of Independent Cinema in Northern Ireland
Queen's Film Theatre is supported by
Queen's University Belfast
BFI
Follow Us
facebook
twitter
instagram
 Privacy policy  |  Unsubscribe
This email is sent by Queen’s Film Theatre as a result of you signing up to be a QFT member.
Your details will not be passed on to any other companies. For further information visit www.queensfilmtheatre.com.
Queen’s Film Theatre, 20 University Square, Belfast, BT7 1PA. Phone number: 029 9097 1305 Email: qftma...@qub.ac.uk