: @WFTV_UK Events | Tackling Harassment and Bullying | Industry News

Studio NI

May 4, 2021, 12:39:31 PM5/4/21
to studio...@googlegroups.com
Tuesday 04 May 2021
Women in Film and TV Newsletter Banner
WELCOME FROM THE CHAIR & CEO
Liz Tucker | WFTV Chair
Katie Bailiff | WFTV CEO
Good afternoon,

Welcome to this week’s newsletter, with an update on upcoming online events from our Senior Awards and Events Producer, Claudia and our around the industry news section.

The recent allegations against Noel Clarke have prompted fresh conversation around how bullying and harassment continues to be a reality for many in the film, TV and digital media industries.

Women in Film and Television condemns all sexual misconduct, bullying and harassment in the strongest possible terms. We believe that everyone should have the right to work in a safe environment, and our industry is no different. It takes huge courage to speak out, and we stand in solidarity with our colleagues who have experienced bullying and harassment. Action is clearly needed.

On Friday WFTV are bringing together a panel of industry experts, leaders and voices to discuss what measures are in place to protect both ourselves and others - we'll be discussing what practices and policies currently exist, and if and how these policies are working. Please join us at 14:00 on Friday - register here.

If you have been affected by the events of the last few days or need help dealing with bullying and harassment in the workplace, we have compiled a list of resources which are available here.

If you are interested in supporting the work of WFTV by partnering on any of our initiatives or you'd like to become a corporate member - please contact ad...@wftv.co.uk.

Have a good week,

Katie and Liz

New Sponsors for our Online Events Programme

On behalf of all of us at WFTV, we would like to say a huge thanks to all our new online events sponsors: Argonon, BBC, Eikon, Envy, Eon, IMDb, ITV, MBSE, Netflix and ScreenSkills. They will continue to support our WFTV Awards too. Their very generous support at this difficult time has made it possible for WFTV to continue with our weekly online events programme, for which we are incredibly grateful.
WFTV Forgotten Freelancers Campaign
Thursday 06 May | 18:00 – 19:00
Friday 07 May | 14:00 – 15:00
Monday 10 May | 14:00 – 15:00
Monday 10 May | 18:00 – 19:00
Tuesday 11 May | 18:00 – 19:00
Wednesday 12 May | 18:00-19:00
Thursday 13 May | 18:00 – 19:00
Monday 17 May | 18:00-19:00
Tuesday 18 May | 18:30 – 19:30
Wednesday 19 May | 18:00-19:00
Thursday 20 May | 18:00 – 19:00
Thursday 27 May | 10:00-12:00
Register for events now
WFTV EVENTS ROUND UP
Claudia Mehrej
Hello everyone,

Welcome to May with WFTV. As Katie and Liz have outlined, this Friday we’re talking with industry leaders about tackling bullying and harassment in the Film and TV industry. We hope as many of you as possible can join the conversation - we'll be announcing speakers shortly.

On Wednesday we’re delighted to launch our Short Film Club, a new event series highlighting some of the best short films exclusively for WFTV members.
Each session will introduce a selection of short films based around a theme, and members will have the opportunity to watch short films from around the world, hear from the creators and join in the conversation. We’re working with discover.film, a global streamer dedicated to short form content, to bring together four filmmakers for a discussion exploring the process of converting adversity into creativity. Introduced by WFTV CEO Katie Bailiff and chaired by Jaine Greene, we’ll be joined by Writer/Producer Laura Dockrill (Goldfish), Actor/Writer/Director Lisa Edelstein (Unzipping) and filmmakers Farah Nabulsi (BAFTA winner for British Short Film The Present) and Denise Harrison (This is Depression).

Looking ahead, on 10 May we have a session on mental health awareness and resilience with Sarah McCaffrey from Solas Mind and an insight into making the new Channel 4 documentaryDavina McCall: Sex, Myths and the Menopause with Producer/Director Linda Sands and Co-Producer Kate Muir. On 11 May, Melina León, Writer, Producer, Director and Editor of Song Without a Name (Canción sin Nombre), lead talent Pamela Mendoza and documentary filmmaker Karoline Pelikan discuss the creative processes behind making this film based on a heart wrenching true story.

Finally, on 12 May we’ll hear from some of the on and off-screen talent from the new series of BBC Two’s Motherland. Actress Tanya Moodie, Co-Creator and Co-Writer Helen Serafinowicz and Co-Writer and Executive Producer Holly Walsh will be in conversation with film and TV journalist Ellen E Jones to discuss bringing to life the pitfalls of middle-class parenting and complicated politics of the school gates.

Don’t forget to check out the exclusive members Catch-Up Hub if you’ve missed any of our events, and we hope to see some of you at our weekly Member Meet-ups soon.

See you online,

Claudia
RESOURCES HUB & USEFUL LINKS
At WFTV, we’ve pulled together useful links including podcasts, videos, books, articles, films & TV series and tools for both adults and children covering anti-racism, Covid-19 and disability.  And if you're looking for useful links around industry schemes, funding, training and more - then you find this all in place.
Resources Hub
Useful links
MEMBER NEWS

Deborah Espect, a WFTV member and Festival Programmer for FilmPride, Brighton & Hove Pride's official LGBTQ+ film festival, is offering WFTV members a 50% discount on the submission fee with the discount code: FP502021. You can find all details here.

AROUND THE INDUSTRY

Deaf and Disabled People in TV (DDPTV) has partnered with BECTU Unscripted, Equity and Bournemouth University on a brand new campaign Disability by Design: Representation in TV. The campaign will promote increased representation of Deaf and Disabled TV professionals both on and off-screen in the UK.

The first phase of the campaign is a survey, which will gather information on best practice, recruitment, disclosure, reasonable adjustment in the workplace and ableism/ disability discrimination. They will use this information to help shape the campaign - you can find the campaign here

Television Repairs is looking for self-shooting PDs in and around Glasgow for a day's shoot on a BBC Two Arts documentary in the next couple of weeks. For more information, contact Jane at ja...@televisionrepairs.co.uk.

Misfits Entertainment is looking for a Line Producer for a feature documentary to begin this month. The candidate must have experience in managing a feature film budget, setting up international shoots and great communications skills, as you'll need to work remotely but closely with the Director and Producer. Someone with documentary experience is essential - please send CVs to s...@misfitsentertainment.com.

Series Mania Institute has launched a new training course for European TV drama writers and producers called Eureka Series.

The four-month course take place in Lille between 6 September and 10 December and give six writers and six producers an opportunity to participate in the programme - view here for more details.

The BBC Academy’s Production Unlocked is a new series of webinars with a focus on production starting in May, that will consist of masterclasses, panel discussions and practical sessions covering a wide range of production topics. The series starts this Thursday with Female Directors in Film - book your free ticket here.

BIFA is recruiting a part time Training and Talent Development Manager to lead development and delivery of BIFA’s training programmes. They will deliver Springboard, BIFA’s year long programme of training and support to first time writers, directors and breakthrough producers who have been longlisted by the Awards, BIFA’s unconscious bias training for voters and the wider screen industries, and will also lead development of new training offerings in response to changing industry needs. You can find the complete job description here

Entries for the Grierson Awards, the British Documentary Awards, are now open. There are 15 categories to enter including Best Music, Best Sports and categories for singles docs and series. You can find more details here

BFI are seeking candidates for a Senior Curator of Fiction Film and a Senior Curator of Television to join the BFI National Archive’s Curatorial department. Both roles are a permanent positions. You can find more details here

If you are an early-career professional ready to work in documentary production, then applications to Sheffield Doc/Fest's new UK Broadcast Production Market are now open. Apply by 11 May, 17:00 BST here

The Filmarket Hub platform has launched the 2021 edition of its UK Online Pitchbox - a two-day virtual pitch event dedicated to British feature films and scripted series in development. The call for submissions will be open until 20 May - you can find more details here.

Short Circuit's Sharp Shorts initiative is now open for applications. The scheme funds up-and-coming Scotland-based filmmakers to create short films that resonate with audiences worldwide. Apply by  Monday 17th May here

Festival Watch

SUBMIT TO: 29 April – 9 May Hot Docs Festival Film Submissions | 4 - 13 June Sheffield Doc/Fest | 20 June Brighton & Hove Pride’s official LGBTQ+ film festival | 6- 17 July Cannes Film Festival | 25 - 26 September Women Over50 Film Festival (WOFFF) | 4-7 October CineEurope | 6 - 17 October BFI London Film Festival | 14 -17 October MIPCOM | 27 Oct - 6 November Raindance Film Festival

WFTV Facebook
WFTV Twitter
WFTV Instagram
LinkedIn
WFTV Website
Copyright © |2021| Women in Film and TV (WFTV UK), all rights reserved.
+44 (0)20 7287 1400 | ad...@wftv.org.uk
--
Studio NI: Promoting Arts and Culture in the North of Ireland since 2004. NIC101100