The Far Tower: Stories for W. B. Yeats

Swan River Press

Nov 10, 2019, 12:23:56 PM11/10/19
to studionort...@gmail.com
Order The Far Tower
Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.

December 2019
Hardback
224 pages

978-1-78380-030-8

Our Forthcoming Title

THE FAR TOWER
Stories for W. B. Yeats

edited by Mark Valentine

Available to order at:

swanriverpress.ie/title_fartower.html

Numbered edition (100)
available while supplies last.

"All Art that is not mere story-telling, or mere portraiture, is symbolic . . . " — W. B. Yeats

Stories of magic and myth, folklore and fairy traditions, the occult and the outré, inspired by the rich mystical world of Ireland’s greatest poet, W. B. Yeats. We invited ten contemporary writers to celebrate Yeats’s contributions to the history of the fantastic and supernatural in literature, drawing on his work for their own new and original tales. Each has chosen a phrase from his poems, plays, stories, or essays to herald their own explorations in the esoteric. Alongside their own powerful qualities, the pieces here testify to the continuing resonance of Yeats’s vision in our own time, that deep understanding of the meshing of two worlds and the talismans of old magic.

Contents

"Introduction"
Mark Valentine

"Under the Frenzy of the Fourteenth Moon"
Ron Weighell

"Daemon Est Deus Inversus"
D. P. Watt

"The Shiftings"
Rosanne Rabinowitz

"Hermit for Hire"
Catriona Lally

"The Property of the Dead"
John Howard

"Cast a Cold Eye"
Timothy J. Jarvis

"The Messiah of Blackhall Place"
Derek John

"This Crumbling Pageant"
Lynda E. Rucker

"Shadowy Waters"
Reggie Oliver

"The Hosts of the Air"
Nina Antonia

"Contributor Notes"

"Acknowledgements"

Mark Valentine is the author of about twenty books, mostly of ghost stories or of essays on book collecting and obscure authors. He also edited The Scarlet Soul: Stories for Dorian Gray for Swan River Press. His fiction collections include The Uncertainty of All Earthly Things (Zagava) and, with John Howard, Secret Europe and Inner Europe (Tartarus). He also edits Wormwood, a journal of the literature of the fantastic and supernatural.

Order a copy of The Far Tower.

Other Swan River Titles of Interest
Selected Stories by Mark Valentine (2012)

Green Tea's 150th Anniversary

On 23 October 1869, readers of All the Year Round, edited by Charles Dickens, may well have been unprepared for a chilling tale of paranoia and despair that commenced in Mr. Dickens’s weekly journal. That story was “Green Tea”, and though it was originally published anonymously, it was penned by the Dublin writer Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu.

While Le Fanu is probably now better known for his pre-Dracula vampire novella “Carmilla” (1871/2), for me “Green Tea” will always be his masterpiece.

Read more.

Green Book 14

While we always endeavour to stick to a publishing schedule, unfortunately that doesn't always happen. Despite efforts, it looks as though The Green Book 14 will be late.

However, we do still have plans to publish the issue, and it will likely come out sometime early next year.

In the meantime, there are plenty of other issues to explore if you're not already a reader of our ongoing journal on Irish Gothic, supernatural, and fantastic literature.

Buy The Green Book.

Hellbore Magazine

We thought some of our readers might be interested in this new magazine: Hellbore, a collection of writings and essays devoted to British folk horror and the themes that inspire it: folklore, myth, history, archaeology, psychogeography, witches, and the occult.

We've seen the first issue. It's stylishly designed, well written, and contains a piece by John Reppion, whose story "The Faerie Ring" you might remember from Uncertainties Volume 1.

Order Hellbore here.

Copyright © 2019 Swan River Press. All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
br...@swanriverpress.ie

This email was sent to studionort...@gmail.com
Swan River Press · Rathmines, Ireland · Rathmines, Dublin · Ireland

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp