increase rate limit _ App ID:51872331

Hoa Nguyen

Apr 1, 2020, 4:16:18 AM4/1/20
to strav...@googlegroups.com, hie...@fpt.com.vn, hoa...@fpt.com.vn, lam...@fpt.com.vn
Dear Strava API team,

Because of our users has exceeded the number of 5000 users, we would like to ask to increase the limit request for our APP. Please support us a solution for a stable activity system.
Currently, we have more than 7000 users and will reach 10.000 uses soon, so we need to increase the number of requests / 15 'currently, specifically: 3000 - 5000 requests / 15 'and the number of 500,000 requests / daily.
App ID: 51872331
Looking forward to hearing from you

Thanks for your support!

Hoa Nguyen!

Daniel D.

Apr 1, 2020, 9:43:40 AM4/1/20
to Hoa Nguyen, Strava API, hie...@fpt.com.vn, hoa...@fpt.com.vn, lam...@fpt.com.vn
Will save you some time ;) You have to email a...@strava.com with your app ID and screenshots of the app with the powered by strava logos. Then they will send you an email saying that you don't have enough users and that they don't increase limits to overcome inefficiencies in your app.

Curious, what are you doing with your app and do you really have 7,000 *strava* users?

If anyone at Strava is reading, the choice of the limit that is per app, and further limitations in those intervals, and not per user, is fairly poor. You already have a fixed ceiling after which you allow for increased TPS, so feels like popular apps with many users should be able to scale up the TPS automatically and progressively.

Nick Steel

Daniel D.

Apr 1, 2020, 10:42:41 AM4/1/20
to Nick Steel, Strava API
AFAIK, no. Which makes the rate limit implemented as is even more useless.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/strava-api/d6907b68-c6e4-4450-8b84-1138d88b54ee%40googlegroups.com.

Daniel D.

Apr 1, 2020, 10:48:26 AM4/1/20
to Nick Steel, Strava API
FWIW for my own app that syncs Strava -> Slack and which is seeing a huge spike in usage because of COVID-19, I finally rolled up my sleeves and implemented support for web hooks for activity updates to replace polling. It wasn't very difficult. Note that webhooks don't support clubs, but it still got me down to just ~100 requests every 15 minutes, way below the Strava limit, for about 575 active users and maybe 50 clubs right now. I'm polling clubs with a 60 second interval in a loop, so checking clubs maybe every hour or so.

Hoa Nguyen

Apr 1, 2020, 10:59:59 AM4/1/20
to a...@strava.com, strav...@googlegroups.com, hie...@fpt.com.vn, hoa...@fpt.com.vn, lam...@fpt.com.vn