storm-deploy --start hangs

Lorin Kobashigawa

Dec 9, 2013, 4:39:55 AM12/9/13
to storm...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

New to storm and trying to get storm-deploy working without any success.  It looks like ' lein deploy-storm --start --name test-cluster' is hanging.  After this output:

Directory /home/storm/daemon/supervise...
...done
Directory /home/storm/storm/logs...
...done
Directory /home/storm/storm/bin...
...done
Directory /home/storm/ui...
...done
Directory /home/storm/ui/logs...
...done Directory /home/storm/ui/supervise...
INFO execute - Output: 54.205.128.161
...done
remote-file /home/storm/ui/run...
MD5 sum is b19a45a3decd13ce02bd3dbc1d342e58 run
...done
Directory /home/storm/drpc...
...done
Directory /home/storm/drpc/logs...
...done
Directory /home/storm/drpc/supervise...
...done
remote-file /home/storm/drpc/run...
MD5 sum is 4ea8eb63a1bca4ccb72e135088d5ccb4 run
...done
logout

it just stops, and doesn't exit. 54.205.128.161 is the IP of the nimbus server.  If I ssh into the box, I can see that storm 0.9.0.1 is unpacked, but there are no storm processes running.

Is there a particular branch or commit I should be passing to storm-deploy to get it to work?

Thanks,

-Lkb

Lorcan Coyle

Dec 9, 2013, 7:07:10 AM12/9/13
to storm-user
Hi Lkb,
I can confirm the problem. Looks like it's a zookeeper version issue (can't download zookeeper 3.3.5)... Let me see what I can do.
Lorcan

Lorcan Coyle

Dec 9, 2013, 8:00:44 AM12/9/13
to storm-user
Hi Lkb,
I've pushed a pull-request that seems to solve this issue: https://github.com/nathanmarz/storm-deploy/pull/50
Could you check this and confirm with a comment to the pull request and we'll see about getting it pulled in.
Thanks,
Lorcan

Lorin

Dec 9, 2013, 7:38:01 PM12/9/13
to storm...@googlegroups.com
That worked, I have commented on the pull request.

Out of curiosity, how did you determine that?  Is there something I could have detected from the log output that would have helped me to troubleshoot it?

Or was it just that zookeeper was the next step after drpc?

-Lkb

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "storm-user" group.

Lorcan Coyle

Dec 10, 2013, 3:45:00 AM12/10/13
to storm-user
Great, thanks Lkb,

To determine the problem [this is the process I would use with any problem on storm-deploy] I ran the deploy script using the exact configuration you used (lein deploy-storm --start --name test-cluster). I searched for the first instance of "ERROR" in the deploy output (usually this is your best bet).
In the case of this problem, there were errors about the downloaded zookeeper being missing - so I checked the url being used to download zookeeper. This was non-existent, but there was a valid link for the newest stable release. Tried updating the zookeeper version in the storm-deploy code and confirmed that the deploy process ran without error.
I then left the final check and confirmation to you :-)

By working through the logs the problems are usually fixable. When apache update the zookeeper link in the future this specific problem will reoccur. It's pretty brittle :-/

Hope this helps, maybe this process is something I should document in the wiki?

Lorcan
p.s. for future reference, sending the output of the deploy run would speed up the process a little - the last few lines was helpful but not sufficient to diagnose on this occasion :-)