Bike Thieves Using Ball Bearings in U-Locks

plattyjo

Nov 26, 2013, 3:13:31 PM11/26/13
to stolen-bicyc...@googlegroups.com
FYI: Here's an important message from Bay Area Bikes's Glenda Barnhart:

"My staff tells me that they've had 3-4 recent reports this week from folks that have had their bikes stolen thusly:  Thief superglues a ball bearing in the key slot, so owner can't unlock their bike.  Thief returns when no one's around, with cutting tools which obviously take a long time, but they have the time and lack of attention to get it done and steal the bike."

One of the mechanics at BAB recommended using a knife to dislodge the ball bearing if this happens to you.

Cheers,

Jenny