Fast of the Holy Apostles: June 16th, 2014 to June 28, 2014

Anil George

Jun 14, 2014, 10:04:37 PM6/14/14
to St. Mary's Malankara Orthodox Syrian Cathedral, stmaryscat...@googlegroups.com
The fast of the Holy Apostles is a thirteen-day lent recognized by the Orthodox Church, which begins Monday, June 16th and lasts until Saturday June 28th.

Having rejoiced for fifty days following Pascha, the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, the Apostles began to prepare for their departure from Jerusalem to spread Christ's message throughout the world. According to Sacred Tradition, as part of their preparation, they began a fast with prayer to ask God to strengthen their resolve and to be with them during their missionary efforts as they spread the Gospel.

The Biblical foundation for the Fast is found in the Synoptic Gospels, when the Pharisees criticized the Apostles for not fasting, Jesus said to them, "Can the wedding guests mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them? The days will come, when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast.” Our Lord, in this passage, was referring to his being taken to be crucified; but in the larger sense these words of the Lord are understood in terms of his Ascension into heaven, and his command to preach the Gospel, which can only be accomplished with prayer and fasting. The New Testament mentions the practice of fasting many times.

During this fast, we remember the struggles of the holy apostles to preach the gospel to the world after Pentecost. In addition, on Sunday June 29th, the Holy Church also commemorates the memory of two important saints, Saint Peter and Saint Paul. As with all other fasts/lents of the Holy Church, the fast of the Holy Apostles is observed by refraining from the intake of all dairy and meat products, unless you are elderly, a child, pregnant or sick. Let’s all seek the powerful intersession of the holy apostles during this fast!

--
Anil George

"This is the cause of all evils, the not knowing the Scriptures. We go into battle without arms, and how are we to come off safe?"  [St. John Chrysostom]