Holy Wednesday

1 view

Saint Marys Cathedral

Apr 15, 2014, 3:00:05 PM4/15/14
to Cathedral FOCUS Google Group, SMYL Google Group

Facebook icon Twitter icon Forward icon

Pesaho (Holy Wednesday)

Pesaho is one of the most important feasts of the Jewish religion. The word Pesaho literally means ‘exodus’.
Church historians are of the opinion that Pesaho must be the combination of two feasts, which existed before the time of Moses. One was linked with the experiences of the time when mankind was herdsmen. The other feast was linked with the experiences of the time when mankind was agriculturists. Whatever be the meanings and significance of the very ancient traditions and rituals, the exodus of the Israelites from the bondage in Egypt and the exemptions granted by the angel from slaughtering the first born of the Israelites gave a wide and vivid meaning and significance for the feast of Pesaho.

Even after reaching the Promised Land, the Jews were so particular in observing the feast Pesaho. The feast reminded the Jews that they are the selected tribe of God Almighty. (Ex. 13:14) The Israelites not only celebrated the memory of the deliverance but also utilized the occasion to create a feeling that they were going through the same experiences of their fathers. This was a national festival as well as a homely festival. The entire members of each family were supposed to assemble together at Jerusalem for the observance of this feast. They used to sacrifice a lamb at the Jerusalem Temple. They used to dedicate the blood on the table of sacrifice and used to cook the meat for their consumption with the Pesaho food. In three occasions of the public life of our Lord, there are mentions about this feast. (John 2:13, 6:4, and 12:12)

Our Lord established the Holy sacrament of the Holy Eucharist during His celebration of the Pesaho with His blessed Apostles, prior to His crucifixion. This is the importance of the Pesaho in the New Testament tradition. (Mk 14:12-25) The reference in the Gospel according to St. John (chapter 18:28, 19:14) reveals that the last supper of our Lord and Savior took place on the previous day of the Pesaho of that year. St. John’s version is that when the lambs of the Pesaho were slaughtered, the Lamb of God was also slaughtered. St. Luke makes it clear that our Lord took part in the last supper as the Pesaho of the year. (Luke 22:7)

The New Testament Pesaho denotes the exodus from sin and death. As the covenant was executed in connection with the Old Testament liberation at Mount Sinai, the liberation through the blood of Lord Jesus and the new covenant are revealed in the New Testament Pesaho. (Jeremiah 31:31)

St. Paul has interpreted the death and resurrection of Lord Jesus on the basis of the Pesaho. (1 Cor 5: 6-8) The Jews were so particular to use the unleavened bread on Pesaho day. Where as our Lord established the Holy Eucharist as the crown of all the sacraments, using the leavened bread.

The use of the unleavened bread immediately after the Holy Eucharist is not at all so important and significant. Our forefathers used to bring unleavened bread to the Church from homes to share among the participants, soon after accepting the Holy Eucharist.

The Jews were so particular to offer the first fruit of their harvest, and from the offered sheaf the flour was taken to prepare the bread for Pesaho. In this context St. Paul explains that Lord Jesus is the first fruit. (1 Cor15:20-23)

We should not be confused that the Holy Eucharist, the real flesh and blood of our savior with the Pesaho of the Old Testament.

The flesh and blood of our Savior is sufficient for the forgiveness of all our sins and for our eternal life in and with Him. Let us participate in it.

Edit your subscription | Unsubscribe

--
Click here to add/update your contact information.

St. Mary's Malankara Orthodox Syrian Cathedral
1424 Orthodox Street | Philadelphia, PA 19124

E-Mail: cathedr...@gmail.com
Website: www.stmaryscathedral.net

Follow us on:

Saint Marys Cathedral

Apr 16, 2014, 8:00:45 AM4/16/14
to Cathedral FOCUS Google Group, SMYL Google Group