Holy Thursday

Saint Marys Cathedral

Apr 17, 2014, 8:00:31 AM4/17/14
to Cathedral FOCUS Google Group, SMYL Google Group

Facebook icon Twitter icon Forward icon

Maudy Thursday (Washing of the Feet)

Maundy or Washing of the Feet, is a religious rite observed as an ordinance by several Christian denominations. John 13:1–17 mentions Jesus performing this act. Specifically, in verses 13:14–17, “He instructs them, ‘If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you. Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him.  If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.’”

As such, many denominations observe the washing of the feet on Maundy Thursday of Holy Week.  The service may be performed either by a bishop, washing the feet of twelve priests. The ceremony takes place most ceremoniously as the Bishop does this in the midst of the reading of the Scripture (Evangelion). There will be some 12 selected persons, both priests and the lay people, and the Bishop will wash and kiss the feet of those 12 persons. After this the eldest of the priests washes the Bishop's feet. It is not merely a dramatization of the past event. Further it is a prayer where the whole congregation prays to wash and cleanse them of their sins.

Edit your subscription | Unsubscribe

--
Click here to add/update your contact information.

St. Mary's Malankara Orthodox Syrian Cathedral
1424 Orthodox Street | Philadelphia, PA 19124

E-Mail: cathedr...@gmail.com
Website: www.stmaryscathedral.net

Follow us on: