Any way to run Stashboard without App Engine?

Guillaume Michaud

May 23, 2011, 7:52:51 AM5/23/11
to stash...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'd like to know if there is some documentation somewhere regarding how to run Stashboard without App Engine?

(The purpose would be to run this software locally without the App Engine infrastructure, which is quite heavy when you have only one application using it.)

Thanks for your help!

kyle.j...@gmail.com

May 24, 2011, 12:28:41 PM5/24/11
to stash...@googlegroups.com
While Stashboard uses the platform-agnostic webapp framework, it also uses many App Engine specific services such as the datastore, task queue, and memcache. If you want to run Stashboard locally, the App Engine SDK for Python works perfectly.

Guillaume Michaud

May 24, 2011, 2:16:11 PM5/24/11
to Stashboard
Hello,

Thanks for your answer!

But what if I want, still without App Engine, to run Stashboard in
production-like environment?

Do you confirm that the specific services you listed in your reply
(datastore and so on) can't be provided through some documented
workaround?

On May 24, 6:28 pm, "kyle.j.con...@gmail.com"
<kyle.j.con...@gmail.com> wrote:
> While Stashboard uses the platform-agnostic webapp framework, it also uses
> many App Engine specific services such as the datastore, task queue, and
> memcache. If you want to run Stashboard locally, the App Engine SDK for
> Python<http://code.google.com/appengine/downloads.html#Google_App_Engine_SDK...>
> works
> perfectly.
>
> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 4:52 AM, Guillaume Michaud <guillaumich...@gmail.com
>

> > wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > I'd like to know if there is some *documentation* somewhere regarding how

Brian McQueen

Jul 14, 2011, 1:48:11 PM7/14/11
to stash...@googlegroups.com
What's the status on this question?  I've got the same question as I investigate Stashboard.  The docs make it seems like a standalone SDK version is only a step towards deploying it into the Appspot.

kyle.j...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2011, 2:38:47 PM8/1/11
to stash...@googlegroups.com
Since Stashboard is open source, it would be possible to replace any of the listed services with something else. For example, you could switch in MongoDB for the persistence layer. However, these changes would be drastic. Stashboard will remain app engine only for the foreseeable furture.

Jeremy Baron

Nov 18, 2011, 2:28:57 PM11/18/11
to stash...@googlegroups.com, Guillaume Michaud, Brian McQueen, kyle.j...@gmail.com
This may be exactly what you were looking for:

https://github.com/bfirsh/whiskerboard

-Jeremy

Shlomi Horev

Mar 6, 2012, 3:31:11 PM3/6/12
to stash...@googlegroups.com, Guillaume Michaud, Brian McQueen, kyle.j...@gmail.com
This is might free you from Google app but you still attached to EP.. there is not way to run it from a local server??

Kyle Conroy

Mar 8, 2012, 11:47:11 AM3/8/12
to Shlomi Horev, stash...@googlegroups.com, Guillaume Michaud, Brian McQueen
Correct, as I've said before, Stashboard is built on top of Google App Engine and uses many features that are specific to that platform. Therefore, you have to run in on GAE.

Jeremy Baron

Mar 8, 2012, 2:53:37 PM3/8/12
to Shlomi Horev, Ben Firshman, stash...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 15:31, Shlomi Horev <shlom...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is might free you from Google app but you still attached to EP..

What is EP? == ep.io ?

If so, then what attachment are you referring to?
Have you tried running on a local server and failed?

Granted the README only covers deployment to ep.io but my guess is
it's trivial to run on your own host. It's hard to imagine that a
project that describes itself "Stashboard, now with less vendor
lock-in" would have just been a port from one vendor lock-in to
another lock-in.

> there is not way to run it from a local server??

-Jeremy

chris

Mar 8, 2012, 3:53:41 PM3/8/12
to stash...@googlegroups.com, Shlomi Horev, Ben Firshman
unfortunately i can't seem to find any information or documentation on how to get whiskerboard running internally. based on the description, i also thought it should be a relatively simple process, but the very limited instructions cover only deploying to ep.io, and it is not clear (at least to me) on how to do it any other way. If anyone has any info or suggestions, it would be much appreciated.

thanks,
Chris

Kyle Conroy

Mar 9, 2012, 12:05:16 AM3/9/12