How to repeatedly import *.mfj, without deleting or duplicating?

Stan Stadelman

Jun 2, 2016, 8:10:45 PM6/2/16
to StarUML
Hi, maybe this needs to be a feature request, but here is my use case:

I'm using StarUML to document a set of Swift (Apple iOS) libraries, that my team is producing.  These libraries have dependencies on the Apple frameworks (Foundation, UIKit, etc.), and some 3rd-party frameworks from Github.  In my project hierarchy, I have one parent Model, then few child Packages (Apple SDK, 3rdParty SDK, MySDK).  Each Package has its internal frameworks defined as Modules.

For convenience, I want to be able to maintain the .mdj files for the Apple frameworks independently from my own library documentation.  This is because I create a lot of projects with dependencies on the Apple SDK libraries.  And, since the Apple SDK is enormous, and I am documenting it mostly on an as-needed basis, to support Sequence Diagrams or class/protocol inheritance, I need to be able to propagate changes to the dependent projects frequently.

Logically, this seems to mean that I should maintain the Apple SDK Package in an independent project, and then Export/Import it as a Fragment into the dependent projects.

The issue I see, is that there is no concept of Fragment versioning or merging:
  1. If you import 'AppleSDK.mfj' twice into a dependent project, you get two copies of the fragment
  2. If you delete the old version of the Fragment, to be replaced with the new version of Fragment, then any UML links (dependencies, generalizations, aggregations, etc.) which were defined to UML components on the previous Fragment are also deleted and lost
Is there a better way to integrate Packages or Models from multiple projects into a single project than Fragments?  And, is there a better way to update the contents of a Fragment, once it's been integrated into a project?

Thanks,
Stan
Mobile Architect, SAP

StarUML

Jun 3, 2016, 9:55:16 AM6/3/16
to StarUML
Hello Stan,

We understand what is your pain point. We think that the problem (team work with versioning) is common for the most of modeling tools. Actually, StarUML is not enough to handle the problem at this time. So, we will try to find the solution in the future version. Or, if we find a good solution with current version, we will share the solution.

Thanks,
StarUML Team

2016년 6월 3일 금요일 오전 9시 10분 45초 UTC+9, Stan Stadelman 님의 말:

Stan Stadelman

Jul 11, 2016, 3:57:11 PM7/11/16
to StarUML, sta...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for response!   I'll link this in the feature request, and look from my side, too.
Stan

steve capell

Jun 7, 2019, 11:07:34 PM6/7/19
to StarUML
The ability to manage multiple fragments with relationships BETWEEN elements in different fragments maintained is an essential requirement for large team modelling. It is a show stopper for us if I cant put different model fragments in different Git repositories and still be able to create integrated models.

Is there any progress on this requirement?