Projects like Standard Ebooks in other languages?

Alan Orth

Jul 21, 2019, 1:58:39 PM7/21/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Dear list,

I'm in awe of the quality of the books produced by the community of Standard Ebooks volunteers. This is a magnificent and truly inspiring project. Not only are you making literary heritage available in splendid technicolor, you're preserving it in an open and accessible format, with a source-based build system to ensure that future generations will be able to enjoy them in epub20 on their iPhone 59 devices in 2050. :P

Having said that, I'm aware that the English language is extremely lucky to have such a large and interested—not to mention capable—user base. Are you aware of any projects like this for other languages? I'd like to be involved in such projects. Maybe I'll do a proof of concept for some public domain Bulgarian books, for example, using your standards and build system.

Regards,

--
Alan Orth
alan...@gmail.com

Alex Cabal

Jul 21, 2019, 2:00:25 PM7/21/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the kind words! I'm not aware of such a project in different
languages. Every now and then someone stops by to mention they're going
to start something similar in a different language, but I haven't heard
back from anyone yet. If you'd like to start your own thing, good luck!

On 7/21/19 12:58 PM, Alan Orth wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I'm in awe of the quality of the books produced by the community of
> Standard Ebooks volunteers. This is a magnificent and truly inspiring
> project. Not only are you making literary heritage available in splendid
> technicolor, you're preserving it in an open and accessible format, with
> a source-based build system to ensure that future generations will be
> able to enjoy them in epub20 on their iPhone 59 devices in 2050. :P
>
> Having said that, I'm aware that the English language is extremely lucky
> to have such a large and interested—not to mention capable—user base.
> Are you aware of any projects like this for other languages? I'd like to
> be involved in such projects. Maybe I'll do a proof of concept for some
> public domain Bulgarian books, for example, using your standards and
> build system.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Alan Orth
> alan...@gmail.com <mailto:alan...@gmail.com>
> https://picturingjordan.com
> https://englishbulgaria.net
> https://mjanja.ch
> "In heaven all the interesting people are missing." ―Friedrich Nietzsche
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAKKdN4XG%3D83ix_e0aiDLxyJeznV5MbXjK-080nCmLtxR0Jy65g%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAKKdN4XG%3D83ix_e0aiDLxyJeznV5MbXjK-080nCmLtxR0Jy65g%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

federi...@tiscali.it

Aug 7, 2019, 5:02:41 PM8/7/19
to Standard Ebooks
Il giorno domenica 21 luglio 2019 20:58:39 UTC+3, Alan Orth ha scritto:
Are you aware of any projects like this for other languages? I'd like to be involved in such projects. Maybe I'll do a proof of concept for some public domain Bulgarian books, for example, using your standards and build system.

Wikisource is active in dozens of languages, including Bulgarian:

The communities of a few languages of Wikisouce, such as Italian and French, work with partners to distribute suitable EPUB versions through third-party channels. A library network in Italy hosts several thousands, for instance.

(Disclosure: I'm an active Wikisource user.)

Federico