stan hashtag

email.r...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2014, 2:37:42 PM4/25/14
to stan-...@googlegroups.com
Let me head you off: I don't intend to usurp this focussed, useful group into Twitter, but I use both. It seems stan hashtags have never been used. #stan apparently means Stalker + Fan = Stan (not good), while #mcstan has never been used (could be confused if some rapper of that name comes along) and #rstan is a little R-centric. I'm going to go with #mcstan right now, and if anyone wants to correct me so we get to some consensus, please do!

Daniel Lee

Apr 26, 2014, 10:13:58 AM4/26/14
to stan-...@googlegroups.com
As an alternative, we set up a twitter account a while ago for Stan: @mcmc_stan. Are mentions as effective as hashtags in the Twitterverse?

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 2:37 PM, <email.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
Let me head you off: I don't intend to usurp this focussed, useful group into Twitter, but I use both. It seems stan hashtags have never been used. #stan apparently means Stalker + Fan = Stan (not good), while #mcstan has never been used (could be confused if some rapper of that name comes along) and #rstan is a little R-centric. I'm going to go with #mcstan right now, and if anyone wants to correct me so we get to some consensus, please do!

Robert Grant

Apr 26, 2014, 12:51:14 PM4/26/14
to stan-...@googlegroups.com

I've only been using it for a couple of weeks, but I think so. But shouldn't it be hmc_stan? ;-)

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Stan users mailing list" group.

Dan Stowell

Apr 26, 2014, 12:59:44 PM4/26/14
to stan-...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, I'd suggest you change it to match the web address i.e. @mc-stan
(it's also shorter, which is important in twitterland, and easier to
spell out loud) ... plus, hashtag #mcstan seems a good choice.

Dan
http://www.mcld.co.uk

Daniel Lee

Apr 29, 2014, 12:42:22 PM4/29/14
to stan-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the suggestions, but:
- can't do @mc-stan. No hypens allowed. (and mc_stan, mcstan are taken)
- @mcmc_stan isn't really accurate and neither is @hmc_stan. (HMC is an MCMC algorithm. Stan does more than MCMC.) We can change the username to something reasonable. I'm open to suggestions.

I think the mention should work just as well as the hashtag. I'm not sure what's easier to follow on twitter, but I'm guessing both are easy to use? If we adopt a hashtag, I vote for #mc-stan.

Daniel