French encryption law

andrew

Dec 12, 2011, 8:29:03 AM12/12/11
to SQLCipher Users
Has anyone done a successful "French Import Declaration" to allow an
app with sqlCipher to be in the French AppStore?

I've taken a look at it, bit so far my French has not been up to
working out what I have to do!

Any help appreciated!

Andrew

Brendan Duddridge

Oct 25, 2012, 2:00:53 AM10/25/12
to sqlc...@googlegroups.com
I'm guessing not yet. Did you manage to get this done?

Brendan Duddridge

Nov 24, 2012, 7:25:04 PM11/24/12
to sqlc...@googlegroups.com
I just received approval from the French government to sell Tap Forms in France. Yay!

I basically muddled through the application form and mailed it in triplicate to them. I was tracking the delivery through Canada Post, but it never seemed to actually arrive at the destination. I was about to contact Canada Post to find out about it since it had been a month since I sent it off. But to my sudden surprise, I received a letter in my mailbox today (well, probably sometime last week) from the French government.

I had absolutely no idea if it was a good letter or a bad letter since the entire thing was in French. I could read the words, but I couldn't understand them all. Fortunately my brother reads and speaks French so I iMessaged him a photo of the letter to his iPad and he was able to tell me that it said I was good to go for selling Tap Forms in France.

So... YAY!

Thanks!

Brendan

Nick Parker

Nov 29, 2012, 10:15:54 AM11/29/12
to sqlc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brendan,

That's great news - congratulations!  Do you think you could share some insight into the process you went through for French government approval?  I think this type of information would benefit many people on this mailing list.  Thanks!

Nick Parker

Brendan Duddridge

Nov 30, 2012, 2:30:43 PM11/30/12
to sqlc...@googlegroups.com
Hello Nick,

Ok, I've made available the exact forms that I sent off to the French government. Both in English and French. I first filled out the English forms so I knew what I was writing, then I copied my content into the French form. Then I printed out the French form 3 times, put paper clips around each copy, stuffed it in an envelope, then put the address given on it. Took it to the post office and waited about a month for a reply.

It almost seems silly really. I had no idea that this would be good enough. Perhaps all they care about is declaring that you're selling encryption software. I even said "See Zetetic's website for details" at one point. I gave the specific URL though.

It'd be interesting to know if this is successful for any other developers.

Thanks!

Brendan

Stephen Lombardo

Dec 3, 2012, 9:42:13 AM12/3/12
to sqlc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brendan,

Thanks so much for posting these, we'd like to take a look. I'm getting a 404 on the zip download, is it still out there?

Cheers,
Stephen

On 2012-11-30, Brendan Duddridge wrote:
> Hello Nick,
>
> Ok, I've made available the exact forms that I sent off to the French
> government. Both in English and French. I first filled out the English
> forms so I knew what I was writing, then I copied my content into the
> French form. Then I printed out the French form 3 times, put paper clips
> around each copy, stuffed it in an envelope, then put the address given on
> it. Took it to the post office and waited about a month for a reply.
>
> Here's a zip file you can download:
> http://www.tapforms.com/french-encryption-forms-example.zip
>
> It almost seems silly really. I had no idea that this would be good enough.
> Perhaps all they care about is declaring that you're selling encryption
> software. I even said "See Zetetic's website for details" at one point. I
> gave the specific URL though.
>
> It'd be interesting to know if this is successful for any other developers.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Brendan
>
> On Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:15:54 AM UTC-7, Nick Parker wrote:
> >
> > Hi Brendan,
> >
> > That's great news - congratulations! Do you think you could share some
> > insight into the process you went through for French government approval?
> > I think this type of information would benefit many people on this mailing
> > list. Thanks!
> >
> > Nick Parker
> >

> > On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 6:25 PM, Brendan Duddridge <bren...@gmail.com<javascript:>

Brendan Duddridge

Dec 3, 2012, 4:48:21 PM12/3/12
to sqlc...@googlegroups.com
Oops... My mistake.

Try it now. I mistakenly typed in the URL with "french" instead of "france" as in the file name on my website. I've renamed the file on my web server now, so it should work.

There really isn't much there in the file. I'm surprised they accepted it. But I guess all they maybe wanted was general information.

Thanks!

Brendan