Springdale/PUIAS 6.4 Now Available

JP

Feb 28, 2013, 2:29:01 PM2/28/13
to springda...@googlegroups.com, springda...@googlegroups.com, springdal...@googlegroups.com
Good afternoon,

we just made Springdale/PUIAS 6.4 available on the main
springdale.princeton.edu/www.puias.princeton.edu site.

This release follows the 5.9 release in renames to Springdale - so new
name, new logos. Of course the big news is over 1000 package updates
(~1300 or so) with many goodies and new features. For further
information please check RH 6.4 release notes.

One small note on an issue we've seen during internal testing. New
versions of nss libraries have in effect blocked ssl connections to
sites/services using SSL certs with MD5 hash signatures. For example
if your ldap server is using such a certificate then sssd will stop
working. More info on:

http://www.dlt.com/content/rhel-64-potential-authentication-issues

but the solution that worked for us was to put:
export NSS_HASH_ALG_SUPPORT=+MD5
in /etc/sysconfig/init - though, of course, a better solution is to
get a new certificate, one safe from collision attacks...

Please don't hesitate to let us know of any issues.

Thanks,

Josko P.
Thomas U.
Ben B.
Theresa A.

Durval Menezes

Mar 1, 2013, 6:46:17 AM3/1/13
to springda...@googlegroups.com, springda...@googlegroups.com, springdal...@googlegroups.com
Hello Josko and team,

I'm glad to report that my local mirror has finished rsync'ing the 6.4 release overnight from the PUIAS servers. The old trick of renaming the old 6.3 directories to 6.4 before rsyncing has worked wonders and gave me a speedup of about 2.5.

Cheers,
--
   Durval.

Durval Menezes

Mar 1, 2013, 6:47:35 AM3/1/13
to springda...@googlegroups.com

Dave Postles

Mar 1, 2013, 9:45:41 AM3/1/13
to springda...@googlegroups.com
When will the 64-bit DVD be available? I'm in the UK, so do not want
really to use the boot .iso and also I like to have the DVD for
reinstallation if anything goes wrong.
Thanks,
Dave Postles

--
http://www.historicalresources.myzen.co.uk (research and pedagogy)
http://davelinux.info/joomla/index.php (personal - sometimes very!)
http://www.historicalresources.myzen.co.uk (research and pedagogy)
http://davelinux.info/joomla/index.php (personal - sometimes very!)

Prentice Bisbal

Mar 1, 2013, 9:59:20 AM3/1/13
to springda...@googlegroups.com
So I came in this morning and noticed the new login screen and default
desktop. Looks very familiar. Looks really good, too. Good work, everyone!

hadrons123

Mar 5, 2013, 12:15:38 AM3/5/13
to springda...@googlegroups.com, springda...@googlegroups.com, springdal...@googlegroups.com

I am trying the Boot.iso for my lenovo y580 and it doesn't allow configuring the network wlan0 with intel wireless 2200 (released in 2012).
How do I get past this ?
Is it related to the bug you have mentioned about NSS?

Thank you,

Dr piruthiviraj Natarajan

hadrons123

Mar 5, 2013, 6:58:30 AM3/5/13
to springda...@googlegroups.com, springda...@googlegroups.com, springdal...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, March 1, 2013 12:59:01 AM UTC+5:30, JP wrote:

I am trying the 6.4 64bit Boot.iso for my lenovo y580 and it doesn't allow configuring the network wlan0 with intel wireless 2200 (released in 2012).

JP

Mar 5, 2013, 9:38:23 AM3/5/13
to springda...@googlegroups.com
Hullo,

Thomas worked on it over the weekend and he uploaded it yesterday.
They are always a bit tricky to get right as there is too much
material for just one DVD so one has to split them up.

Anyway, the two DVDs are now available in:

http://www.puias.princeton.edu/data/puias/6.4/x86_64/os/images/

Note that puias ones are just symlinks to Springdale.

Josko

Josko Plazonic

Mar 5, 2013, 9:56:21 AM3/5/13
to springda...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 6:58 AM, hadrons123 <piruth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying the 6.4 64bit Boot.iso for my lenovo y580 and it doesn't allow
> configuring the network wlan0 with intel wireless 2200 (released in 2012).
>
> How do I get past this ?
> Is it related to the bug you have mentioned about NSS?

No, this is not related to that bug.

I just checked initrd.img and I can see both the ipw driver and its
firmware blobs so in theory it should work. Now to the real problem,
the code base here, RHEL6, is rather old and it doesn't support very
well wireless devices during installation. I checked anaconda and I
don't see code to configure the wireless but I see boot options that
you can use to try to proceed.

So, on boot hit tab to be offered to enter options. Once there add
the following (modify for your local network);

allowwireless essid=mywirelessnetname wepkey=wepkey

These are all of the available options for configuring wireless. One
to turn it on, one to set the wireless network name and one for the
wepkey, yes, wepkey. Not sure if it would accept wpa2 key but sounds
unlikely.

I'd install over wired interface if at all possible...

Josko

Dave Postles

Mar 5, 2013, 12:39:10 PM3/5/13
to springda...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. Just also noticed it at Distrowatch!
Dave P.

Matthew

Mar 6, 2013, 3:15:30 PM3/6/13
to springda...@googlegroups.com, da...@davelinux.info
Just a note of thanks -- I've built a couple of workstations with this version for one of our labs and it's working great.

Matthew Cahn

Thomas Uphill

Mar 6, 2013, 3:26:06 PM3/6/13
to springda...@googlegroups.com

Great, try the i386 if you get a chance too.  I just updated the site, the md5s should be updated.

Rodolfo Vargas

Mar 6, 2013, 5:50:29 PM3/6/13
to springda...@googlegroups.com
2013/2/28, JP <plaz...@gmail.com>:
Thanks a lot for your effort, i downloaded i386, i will test it