Ok, this might be a stupid question, but are you going the Scientific Linux way?

Tony Albers

Jun 26, 2014, 12:19:10 PM6/26/14
to springda...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys (SDL),

I just read at SL's homepage that they're going to become a CentOS 'variant' (http://linux.web.cern.ch/linux/nextversion.shtml) for version 7.

I started wondering: What are your plans for the upcoming version?

 TIA.

/tony

JP

Jun 26, 2014, 12:32:35 PM6/26/14
to springda...@googlegroups.com
For now we are likely to continue being an independent version.

We've been held up by the way RH is pushing source out, then boostrapping of i686 took longer then I would have liked but we now have a full 32bit build mostly ready (as in rpms are done, branding needs to be finished and then install images have to be built - if that ends up working for 32 bit).  x86_64 is building now and should be done in a day or so. Then we'll have more news and something to test.

Josko

Tony Albers

Jun 26, 2014, 12:37:36 PM6/26/14
to springda...@googlegroups.com
Sounds awesome Josko.

I was hoping you would say that, I think you guys rock. Being independent really is the best.

Very much looking forward to trying the new version out, let me know if theres anything i can help you out with. I'm in Scandinavia, so i can at least check out the Danish/Swedish/Norwegian languages for you ;)

/tony

Durval Menezes

Jun 26, 2014, 1:09:03 PM6/26/14
to springda...@googlegroups.com
Hello Tony, Josko,

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 1:37 PM, Tony Albers <tony....@gmail.com> wrote:
Sounds awesome Josko.

I was hoping you would say that, I think you guys rock. Being independent really is the best.

+1. Springdale is now the only EL I consider worth using. CentOS had updating problems in the past, and sinceRedhat's "acquisition" it's now on its way to become an "Enterprise Fedora" for Redhat to try new things before putting it into EL proper. And if there's one thing that I don't need is another Fedora, even an "Enterprise" one...

Kudos to the Springdale team for keeping us supplied with a great and free (as in beer and as in Freedom) EL distribution!

Very much looking forward to trying the new version out, let me know if theres anything i can help you out with. I'm in Scandinavia, so i can at least check out the Danish/Swedish/Norwegian languages for you ;)

I will try EL7 to see whether there's any outstanding advantages over EL6, but if not (more probable) I will just stick with EL6 until EL8 (or whatever they call the one that will come after 7) comes out. I've mostly skipped EL3 and EL5 in the past, to my great advantage (and EL6 supposedly is supported at least until 2017, so I'm in no hurry).

Cheers,
--
   Durval.

ping.keith

Jul 9, 2014, 4:31:25 AM7/9/14

On Thursday, June 26, 2014 5:32:35 PM UTC+1, JP wrote:
For now we are likely to continue being an independent version.

We've been held up by the way RH is pushing source out, then boostrapping of i686 took longer then I would have liked but we now have a full 32bit build mostly ready (as in rpms are done, branding needs to be finished and then install images have to be built - if that ends up working for 32 bit).  x86_64 is building now and should be done in a day or so. Then we'll have more news and something to test.

Hello All

I've installed the 32 bit version of Springdale Linux 7 using the boot image dated 3rd July from

I found that the URL provided by the installer had 'springdale' in place of 'puias' in front of the 7.0, correcting that allowed me to install the base system, reboot, and install the GNOME desktop group. The result seems fully functional but with some branding issues and yelp is very crashy. The built in crash notification system appears to be pointing at RedHat's system.

Any bug tracker we can use?

Keithpeter

JP

Jul 9, 2014, 12:12:01 PM7/9/14
to springda...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

first of all, thanks for testing.

Now - not sure why /data/springdale/ did not work for you. Are you saying that http://springdale.princeton.edu/data/springdale/7.0/ errors out at your end?

Next, I do see that I did not purge redhat references from libreport.  Can you do

yum reinstall libreport\*

and see if is any better now (i.e. if it stops asking you to submit to bugzilla.redhat.com or RH support)?  This is assuming you are pulling straight from springdale.princeton.edu host. If it doesn't help can you see if you can figure out which package is telling you to do this so we can get it fixed.

Finally - for yelp, any data about the crash would be good.  As far as tickets - we have a trac at http://springdale.math.ias.edu/report - not used much but it is there...

Josko

ping.keith

Jul 9, 2014, 3:48:46 PM7/9/14
to springda...@googlegroups.com

Hello

I did try the reinstall command on the original installation, output from Yum below, I don't have mirrors plugin in Yum so I think these packages are from the Springdale server.

Reinstalling:
 libreport                            i686     2.1.11-10.el7     core     424 k
 libreport-anaconda                   i686     2.1.11-10.el7     core      43 k
 libreport-cli                        i686     2.1.11-10.el7     core      44 k
 libreport-filesystem                 i686     2.1.11-10.el7     core      32 k
 libreport-gtk                        i686     2.1.11-10.el7     core      88 k
 libreport-plugin-bugzilla            i686     2.1.11-10.el7     core      78 k
 libreport-plugin-mailx               i686     2.1.11-10.el7     core      47 k
 libreport-plugin-reportuploader      i686     2.1.11-10.el7     core      50 k
 libreport-plugin-rhtsupport          i686     2.1.11-10.el7     core      57 k
 libreport-plugin-ureport             i686     2.1.11-10.el7     core      50 k
 libreport-python                     i686     2.1.11-10.el7     core      60 k
 libreport-rhel                       i686     2.1.11-10.el7     core      39 k
 libreport-rhel-anaconda-bugzilla     i686     2.1.11-10.el7     core      34 k
 libreport-web                        i686     2.1.11-10.el7     core      43 k

Transaction Summary
Reinstall  14 Packages

Total download size: 1.1 M
Installed size: 2.8 M

Then tried the crash reporter and got this

http://sohcahtoa.org.uk/pages/images/springdale-crash-reporter.png

I didn't log out/login or reboot between the reinstall and starting the crash reporter.

I decided to reinstall but selecting the Gnome Desktop from within the installer this time. My first installation was just the base system then reboot and install GNOME desktop group. I was having to mess about with configurations to boot into graphical desktop and then having problems with closing down from the menus.

On reinstalling, the location supplied by the installer (data/springdale) worked fine. I suspect my problem the first time around might have been due to me forgetting to 'switch on' the Ethernet (interface is off by default in anaconda) and getting mixed up.

This fresh installation has no crashes as yet, yelp starts up fine (which means I can't test the crash reporter until I find something else :-)

PS: Springdale Linux is the first EL based project to provide a 32 bit build. I'm just wondering why? Do you have legacy hardware to support?

JP

Jul 9, 2014, 4:02:48 PM7/9/14
to springda...@googlegroups.com
OK, that message is coming from libreport - which is what I attempted to patch away.  Too bad you didn't restart it to see if it would go away...

BTW can you also see if yum update picks up anything new - it should've installed updates during installation. It would be good to know if it did and if it did not can you update and then see if yelp is still behaving correctly.

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 3:48 PM, ping.keith <ping....@gmail.com> wrote:
PS: Springdale Linux is the first EL based project to provide a 32 bit build. I'm just wondering why? Do you have legacy hardware to support?

Neah, not really -so you have to realize that you need a certain number of 32bit rpms to be able to build all those .i686.rpms that are included with x86_64. At that point, as we are already going through the giant pain of bootstrapping 32bit (and we really had to - there is not enough of 32bit packages in x86_64 to use them to build, so pick up Fedora 19 32bit and use it to do it) why now make it more complex by trying to only limit yourself to the ones used in 64bit version (I mean all of those i686.rpm packages).  So then you build everything and you realize - how far are we from full 32bit? Oh, kernel and syslinux... OK, syslinux = trivial, kernel not so much but doable (clearly) so what the heck...

Essentially you get it mostly for free.  The only problem is when RH messes up packaging of something where they clearly didn't care enough to do it right.  E.g. golang is a good example - there are a bunch of noarch packages that are *not* really noarch.  They include different things according to where you build them - not how noarch should be...

Josko

ping.keith

Jul 9, 2014, 4:34:48 PM7/9/14
to springda...@googlegroups.com

There were a few updates today (gnome things I recollect) on the first installation completed yesterday, I did a yum update before I decided to do a reinstall.

No updates just now after the fresh install.

I have an actual bug: clicking on Log Out or Power Off in the Gnome menu does nothing. From root, reboot or shutdown work. From Alt-F2, gnome-session-quit lets me log out.

Interesting about 32 bit build being a bit of a by-product, thanks.

Caitlyn Martin

Jul 9, 2014, 8:56:40 PM7/9/14
to springda...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Josko,

I just wanted to say thank you for doing the 32-but build. I know
CentOS has promised one as well but yours is here now :) I have a
perfectly good laptop and a couple of perfectly good netbooks that run
EL 6.5 with very decent performance all around. The system
requirements for EL 7 are not significantly higher. GNOME may be
problematic with one of the video chipsets but I can always install
another DE from EPEL. Considering one of my clients is having me do
an EL 7 deployment on some new servers having 32-bit build and living
in the new environment is very helpful to me.

Thanks again,
Caitlyn

ping.keith

Jul 10, 2014, 5:30:40 AM7/10/14

On Thursday, July 10, 2014 1:56:40 AM UTC+1, Caitlyn wrote:
Hi, Josko,

I just wanted to say thank you for doing the 32-but build.  I know
CentOS has promised one as well but yours is here now :)  I have a
perfectly good laptop and a couple of perfectly good netbooks that run
EL 6.5 with very decent performance all around.  The system
requirements for EL 7 are not significantly higher.  GNOME may be
problematic with one of the video chipsets but I can always install
another DE from EPEL.  Considering one of my clients is having me do
an EL 7 deployment on some new servers having 32-bit build and living
in the new environment is very helpful to me.

Hello All & apologies for butting in.

I know a number of people will be glad to see a 32 bit build.

Does anyone know if EPEL and the other 'big name' repos are likely to be released in 32 bit form?

Cheers