Akka and spray teams collaborate on new akka-io layer

Mathias

Jan 11, 2013, 9:53:46 AM1/11/13
to spray...@googlegroups.com
Everyone,

first I'd like to apologize for our limited responsiveness to questions on this list over the course this week.
We'll try to work through the backlog over the course of the next days, so if your question has not yet received any response please hang in there.

Johannes and I spent a good part of this week with the Akka team up at their HQ in Uppsala (Sweden) for a workshop on a new and improved IO layer for Akka.
We all agreed that having a high-performance purely actor-based and no-dependency IO layer implementation is a very worthy cause for joining forces, sharing our experiences with the existing akka-io and spray-io implementations and coming up with the best design we currently can.

The new akka-io module is supposed to not only form the basis for a much improved akka-remoting solution as well as spray's HTTP stack, but also for your own protocol implementations. Additionally it is more general than the existing spray-io layer, since it will also (eventually) support non-TCP transports like UDP and file IO.

Currently we are jointly implementing the first (and—for the time being—most important) transport: TCP.
Once this is done we will of course want to put it to use as soon as possible, stay tuned as to when and how this will happen.

If anyone is interested in more details you can check out the first drafts of the developer documentation here:
https://github.com/akka/akka/blob/wip-IO/akka-docs/rst/dev/io-layer.rst
and/or look at the code coming together on this branch:
https://github.com/akka/akka/tree/wip-IO

We are very excited about this new stuff, it improves on spray-io's IOBridge implementation in a number of interesting ways (mostly with regard to foreseen latency and scalability), so we expect everything based on spray-can to become even faster.
Good times ahead… :)

Cheers,
Mathias

---
mat...@spray.io
http://spray.io

Patrik Andersson

Jan 11, 2013, 9:58:20 AM1/11/13
to spray...@googlegroups.com
This is all very exciting stuff you guys. Keep it up!

Mathias Bogaert

Jan 11, 2013, 10:47:40 AM1/11/13
to spray...@googlegroups.com
Excellent news! Looking forward!

Thomas Lockney

Jan 11, 2013, 11:51:02 AM1/11/13
to spray...@googlegroups.com
This is very good news, indeed! I was just about to start diving in and checking out Akka-IO, but now I'm tempted to hold off a bit and wait for this improved version.

Derek Williams

Jan 11, 2013, 11:56:19 AM1/11/13
to spray...@googlegroups.com
Looking forward to this! Glad to see the collaboration between Spray and Akka here.

Derek Williams

Rajiv

Jan 11, 2013, 4:26:41 PM1/11/13
to spray...@googlegroups.com
Great news! Will the spray-io layer be replaced completely then?

Mathias

Jan 13, 2013, 5:04:55 PM1/13/13
to spray...@googlegroups.com
Rajiv,

> Great news! Will the spray-io layer be replaced completely then?

We currently don't expect the new akka-io to contain all the functionality of spray-io.
What this means in terms of module structuring on the spray side is still to be determined…

Cheers,
Mathias

---
mat...@spray.io
http://spray.io

>> and/or<https://github.com/akka/akka/blob/wip-IO/akka-docs/rst/dev/io-layer.rstand/or>look at the code coming together on this branch:
>> https://github.com/akka/akka/tree/wip-IO
>>
>> We are very excited about this new stuff, it improves on spray-io's
>> IOBridge implementation in a number of interesting ways (mostly with regard
>> to foreseen latency and scalability), so we expect everything based on
>> spray-can to become even faster.
>> Good times ahead… :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mathias
>>
>> ---
>> mat...@spray.io <javascript:>
>> http://spray.io

Mathias

Mar 22, 2013, 4:19:54 AM3/22/13
to spray...@googlegroups.com
The spray-io still exists and will do so for the foreseeable future, even when we upgrade to Akka 2.2.

In spray 1.0/1.1 the spray-io module will contain a back port of the new akka-io functionality to Akka 2.0/2.1.
In spray 1.2 it will be reduced to only contain the parts that are not part of the new akka-io.

So spray's IO pipelining features will not go away...

Cheers,
Mathias

---
mat...@spray.io