The Third Quiz-Making Contest

BanjoZebra

Sep 22, 2012, 8:28:30 AM9/22/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
This. Is. The Third Quiz-Making Contest.

As Always, Here's How it Works:
  • For the contest, there will be a theme. All entries must pertain to that theme in any way.
  • To enter your quiz, just post it on this thread.
  • September 24 will be the last day for entering. Voting will then start at midnight EST, and take place for 2 more days.
  • The winning quiz will (if all goes well) get published on Sporcle.

How to Vote:

Email me (banjo...@gmail.com) with your vote. Your email should look something like this:

1. [Quiz 1] (your favorite entry)
2. [Quiz 2] (second favorite entry)
3. [Quiz 3] (third)

1st place is worth 3 points, 2nd is worth 2, and 3rd is 1. Please only tell me your top three.
Voting will start at midnight EST tonight, and will be over in two days. I will then tally up the votes and post our winner here.

Other Rules:
  • You may only enter one quiz.
  • You may vote if you've entered, but please don't vote for your own quiz.
  • When voting, make sure to tell me your Sporcle username.
  • Entries must be created after the contest has started.

That would be it for the rules. If you've got any questions, feel free to ask me.

Ah, yes - the theme! The contest's theme is:
MONEY

I think this'll be an interesting one. As always, have fun! :)

The Quiz Contest Hall of Fame
Pick Purple by MovieGuru

mcomisky

Sep 22, 2012, 9:17:55 AM9/22/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

needapausebutton

Sep 22, 2012, 11:02:33 AM9/22/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
What will be as much fun as this new theme, will be predicting some of the ideas that are developed as entries.

I've already written down five that I'd be willing to bet are made (and which contributors are probably already feverishly racing to complete).

For some of them, I can see multiple players developing the idea; and whoever doesn't enter it first might have to start again from scratch. Hopefully anyone who ends up in this predicament will be able to avoid smashing their keyboard when banging the fist on the table in exasperation.

Daniel Hodgson

Sep 22, 2012, 11:08:15 AM9/22/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

I'm still confused, what is the theme and how can I submit my quiz?

BanjoZebra

Sep 22, 2012, 11:12:03 AM9/22/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
The theme for this contest is money. To enter, just create your quiz on Sporcle and post a link to it on this thread.

On Sep 22, 2012 11:02 AM, "needapausebutton" <na...@roadrunner.com> wrote:

> What will be as much fun as this new theme, will be predicting some of the ideas that are developed as entries.
>
> I've already written down five that I'd be willing to bet are made (and which contributors are probably already feverishly racing to complete).
>
> For some of them, I can see multiple players developing the idea; and whoever doesn't enter it first might have to start again from scratch. Hopefully anyone who ends up in this predicament will be able to avoid smashing their keyboard when banging the fist on the table in exasperation.

citkeane

Sep 22, 2012, 11:15:49 AM9/22/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Here's my entry: Piggy Blanks

Daniel Hodgson

Sep 22, 2012, 11:20:28 AM9/22/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Okay thank you

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sporcle-university/-/LJ7DzrOHx2YJ.

needapausebutton

Sep 22, 2012, 11:36:24 AM9/22/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks citkeane: One down, four to go. Now, excuse me while I glue my keyboard back together... :)

citkeane

Sep 22, 2012, 11:42:26 AM9/22/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
It's good to know that I'm so predictable. Though to be honest it was the first good idea that came to my mind.

Daniel Hodgson

Sep 22, 2012, 12:02:28 PM9/22/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure mine is one of those predictable quizzes, but I noticed that there are no quizzes within the Sporcle Universe that already uses my concept.  I was surprised since it is a very general quiz.  I know I probably won't win because of my lack of originality however it is worth a try because Sporcle can use a quiz like this!
Good Luck to everyone!

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 11:42 AM, citkeane <citize...@hotmail.com> wrote:
It's good to know that I'm so predictable. Though to be honest it was the first good idea that came to my mind.

Quizmaster91

Sep 22, 2012, 12:36:36 PM9/22/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Here's my entry. Credit for the original idea goes to masterpenguin.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/Quizmaster91/what_does_it_cost

Bazmerelda

Sep 22, 2012, 1:08:56 PM9/22/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this topic. It totally reminded me of a game I was going to make a few days ago but forgot about. Here it is:

I hope it hasn't been done before. It was a difficult thing to search for and I only found a non-clickable version.

SproutCM

Sep 22, 2012, 2:28:41 PM9/22/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Crikey! This is the first theme were I've made a ton of money based quizzes already, but now I don't know what ideas I have left.

SproutCM

Sep 22, 2012, 3:11:16 PM9/22/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Ok. I had an idea.

teddy109768

Sep 22, 2012, 3:26:18 PM9/22/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I was just wondering if you are still only accepting the first four answers or will you narrow it down to the best 4?

BanjoZebra

Sep 22, 2012, 3:36:56 PM9/22/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
No, every entry that is submitted before September 25 will be accepted.

Flick

Sep 22, 2012, 6:19:57 PM9/22/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Money Movies  for me

needapausebutton

Sep 22, 2012, 7:42:53 PM9/22/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
With utmost appreciation and gratitude to both Hejman & citkeane, I excitedly released my first-ever Sporcle "picture quiz".

I could not have pulled that off today without their generous assistance (made all the more "significant" owing to their OWN participation in these quiz-making contests), so to them I say "thanks for offering me your two-sense".

The following quiz is thus entered as my ante: Funny Money, or "Hey, that doesn't look like George!"

TheBestDRose

Sep 22, 2012, 9:12:30 PM9/22/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Now before you read the title of the quiz, I want to make sure you know that it is Clickable and updated... so, enjoy:

If you played it, then thank you :). Because I still know that I'm not going to win this contest, although I can see that the quiz above me is serious competition.

TheBestDRose

Sep 22, 2012, 9:24:27 PM9/22/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Excuse me; the quiz title is actually:

Chair

Sep 22, 2012, 9:25:31 PM9/22/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Here's my entry! True or False: Money
Good luck all!
Message has been deleted

Hejman

Sep 22, 2012, 11:29:34 PM9/22/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
And here's my entry:

Who's on Your Money?

Hejman

Sep 22, 2012, 11:48:45 PM9/22/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Shoot!  Sprout points out to me that he made this quiz several months ago:

US Historical Figures from Money Portraits

I didn't remember it (though I had actually played it) and unfortunately it didn't come up during my search.  Other than the fact that included the state quarters series, it's the same quiz.  Yikes!  I'll try to come up with something else for this competition.

googlebird

Sep 23, 2012, 12:09:42 AM9/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

I feel Hejman's pain. I had my quiz "Funny Money" ready to go and then I saw needapausebutton's entry with the same name. SNAP!
   I changed the name of my quiz. Here it is. Similar idea, but different images.
   http://www.sporcle.com/games/googlebird/funny-money-counterfeit

druhutch

Sep 23, 2012, 12:51:22 AM9/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Damn, for a second there I honestly thought the theme was what the winner gets:)

SproutCM

Sep 23, 2012, 1:02:26 AM9/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hejman is a noble and wonderful man. I had made a bunch of money quizzes because I'm a gigantic huge coin collecting NERD.  I collect Canadian and US coins and I go to flea markets all the time and I even have "a dealer" and my parents think it is an addiction, but I'm sure I could stop at any time.

These are some of my old-school coin quizzes if you're curious:

wiggytitch

Sep 23, 2012, 7:20:00 AM9/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Here's mine:

Good luck to all! :)

gustavpolo

Sep 23, 2012, 8:55:40 AM9/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Quizmaster91

Sep 23, 2012, 9:10:18 AM9/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
@ gustavpolo: I'm affraid you've got the same problem as Hejman & Googlebird: http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/eurocurrency

gustavpolo

Sep 23, 2012, 9:16:08 AM9/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
AAARGH

Geo1

Sep 23, 2012, 11:51:36 AM9/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

   Here's my submission:

citkeane

Sep 23, 2012, 1:24:32 PM9/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
The similarity between napb's and googlebird's games is pretty unfortunate. There is probably a chance they'll cancel each other out when it comes time to vote, which is a shame since there are both good games and it was obviously just a coincidence that they both had the same idea.

titanjmg

Sep 23, 2012, 1:50:16 PM9/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'm thinking citkeane is right. I played both quizzes and liked them both a lot. One of them is currently my favorite of this competition and the other was very good but I didn't think it was quite as good. I'm guessing lots of people hold opposite opinions to that, and that is probably why, like citkeane said, they'll cancel each other out. They were really great quizzes, though, and good luck to everybody!

googlebird

Sep 23, 2012, 1:50:47 PM9/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Hey...I don't want that to happen. I didn't even think of it. I don't mind if my quiz is eliminated from voting. I thought the images were different enough, otherwise I wouldn't have submitted it.

needapausebutton

Sep 23, 2012, 2:13:55 PM9/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
To googlebird:    It just so happens that I'd just sent you an e-mail about all of this, because I fully empathized with you for what happened... I'm sure both of us had a moment of frustration about the situation, and have each chosen to be gracious about it and move forward "positively".

 The aforementioned e-mail was written in that mode  :)

To All:      Personally, I'm not worried about this. I loved googlebird's quiz. So if other players out there happen to like both of ours, that's terrific. If we knock each other out of this particular contest, I'm sure the winning entry will be just as worthy as either of ours might have been. So I don't remotely think googlebird's should be "eliminated from voting".

I'm a fan of googlebird, and the recent thread about "Collaboration" is in indicator that working together harmoniously is the focus, and that is a focus I share.

Perhaps for the next contest, someone can come up with some sort of posted "Contest Quizzes Already-In-Progress" list, so that as we contemplate the construction of a quiz, we'll know if someone has already taken on that idea. I do believe that someone had a "premonition" that this sort of thing could occur ;)

vikZ

Sep 23, 2012, 3:57:24 PM9/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I don't have enough free time to make a quiz for this contest. But good luck to everyone who's entering!

googlebird

Sep 23, 2012, 6:58:26 PM9/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I want to officially withdraw my entry "Spot a Counterfeit" from the voting line up. I will contribute a replacement when I get an idea. needapausebutton contributed his quiz first and I should have thought about how similar quizzes would cancel each other out. Congrats to needapausebutton on his first image quiz. That's not an easy task. On top of that he had the nerve to apologize to me!? No sir, I wasn't thinking and I am sorry. But, like I told needapausebutton, I think the true spirit of the contest is to inspire quiz makers to get their creative juice flowing. It's not about the contest. It's about making more quality quizzes on Sporcle. So I think it all works out in the end.

needapausebutton

Sep 23, 2012, 8:10:58 PM9/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I agree with googlebird about the spirit of these quiz-making endeavors.

I'm the one who posed the question after the first contest "Why not make this a 'Challenge', rather than a 'Contest'" -- because I shared googlebird's outlook on inspiring quiz makers, and having that be the focus.

Never for a moment did I presumptuosly feel that either of our quizzes "would win" this round of competition, and I actively encouraged that googlebird's  quiz be left in the competition.

I'll repeat my suggestion that if these remain as "contests", that there be a way to list games that are being worked on. I truly felt bad that so much time was spent working on an excellent quiz, and my "apology" to googlebird was more of an "acknowledgement" of the frustration that the scenario of dual-themed quizzes led to.

Rundler

Sep 23, 2012, 9:20:42 PM9/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Here's my entry - The History of Money (and other lesser known facts)

BanjoZebra

Sep 23, 2012, 10:40:53 PM9/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
@needapausebutton:

Honestly, the main reason why I wanted this to be a contest and not a "challenge" is because the quizzes that come out of this contest are extremely creative.
If this was just a challenge, users would not be pressured to make the best quiz they can think of that fits the theme. So, then, the final products wouldn't be so incredible.
But as it is, we've had tens of entries in all three of these contests so far, and I think people are loving it. The "contest" seems to be a very enjoyable and successful format, anyways.

Besides all that, I think these contests are pretty fun. :)

needapausebutton

Sep 23, 2012, 11:42:59 PM9/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
@BanjoZebra:

To clarify -- I'm fully on board, just the way it is, and I'll try to rephrase things so that I do not appear self-contradictory in the process...

Firstly: Sorry, I didn't mean to appear to be like I was "re-lobbying" there to get rid of the "contest" format. I'd already accepted that it was going to remain a contest after I'd made the original suggestion! (Hence, my continued participation in contests #2 and #3; and my enthusiasm for the recent victors & contributors whose quizzes I've been wowed by).

I was just trying to emphasize creative quizzery and de-emphasize the "win/lose" aspects, so I used that as an example of how such a format would ONLY focus on creating great games while inviting participation from all.

And I DO agree with you that people are loving it -- as it is -- and it has been successful.

I would argue that if you, or someone else, had originally presented a Quiz-making "Challenge" that it WOULD have resulted in an array of incredible quizzes as well.  But we'll never know, and besides, it is a moot thing to mull about.

So, I'm at peace with these continuing on in contest-format, and I thank you for the huge amount of enthusiasm, time and energy you've brought to us by originating and coordinating them.

Hejman

Sep 23, 2012, 11:48:35 PM9/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
And now here's my replacement entry in this semi-competitive, creativity-inducing, contest/challenge/agon/rencontre/velitation:

A Dingo Ate My Dollar

googlebird

Sep 24, 2012, 12:05:52 AM9/24/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hejman.

I lost you at agon, but I'm sure it was profound and positive. Thanks.
But now I keep thinking out loud, "A dingo ate my baby!" Thanks again.

skuban

Sep 24, 2012, 11:29:23 AM9/24/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
My quiz involves, blitzes, sorting, and -- of course -- money.

Quick Sort Money Blitz

rer2121

Sep 24, 2012, 4:36:49 PM9/24/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

BanjoZebra

Sep 24, 2012, 8:10:23 PM9/24/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

BanjoZebra

Sep 25, 2012, 7:50:49 AM9/25/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Time to vote, folks!

razorz

Sep 25, 2012, 12:08:35 PM9/25/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I love the quiz-making contest idea! I'm a little late to this one, but I made a quiz about money almost a year ago:

Faces of U.S. Money (Close Up)

citkeane

Sep 25, 2012, 10:06:54 PM9/25/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Razorz, I think you just missed out. Voting has already begun. Also, old quizzes were explicitly disallowed this time around.

Teddy109711

Sep 22, 2012, 9:47:33 AM9/22/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
What is the theme?

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

BanjoZebra

Sep 27, 2012, 8:00:13 AM9/27/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Results time!

In third place, with 6 points:
A Dingo Ate My Dollar by Hejman!

In second place, with 10 points:
Piggy Blanks by citkeane!

Finally, the winner of the third quiz-making contest is (with 21 points):
Funny Money, or "Hey, that doesn't look like George!" by needapausebutton!

Congratulations to needapausebutton, and thanks again to everyone else who participated!
The next contest will be up in a few days.

LTH

Sep 27, 2012, 9:37:07 AM9/27/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Nice going, napb! Not only do you win the contest but also the award for longest quiz title!

citkeane

Sep 27, 2012, 12:13:36 PM9/27/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Congrats on the resounding victory, napb.

needapausebutton

Sep 27, 2012, 8:13:20 PM9/27/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to everyone. Especially to ___, ___, ___, and ____. You know who you are!   - Pause