Real life people at Sporcle

SproutCM

Oct 1, 2012, 6:39:12 PM10/1/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I am kind of curious, because I really wonder what the demographic is like of people who are very dedicated to Sporcle and make or take lots of quizzes. I'm sure some patterns exist, and those of us who are editors all kinda know about each other in real life, but the curators and other dedicated users are more of a mystery.  So, I'd like to start a census of sorts for the people who frequent Sporcle U.  All questions are optional, or may be left vague (like age, you can say your actual age, a ball park, or nothing). Feel free to leave things blank, but don't distort things.

Country you live in:
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.):
Gender:
Age:
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc):
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college):
Number of Years Sporcling:

---
Here are my answers:

Country you live in: United States
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): Boston, Massachusetts
Gender: Male
Age: 41
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): Chemistry professor
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): AB and PhD in Chemistry
Number of Years Sporcling: just over 3 years (Since May 2009)

Daniel Hodgson

Oct 1, 2012, 6:41:46 PM10/1/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Wow Sproutcm you are very accomplished, you should feel very proud.

Sheldon

Oct 1, 2012, 7:06:47 PM10/1/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking of doing this the other day actually, but was just going to ask about country. Anywho, this is me:

Country: New Zealand
City: Wellington (Although It's been a little back and forth between there and Auckland at the moment)
Gender: Male
Age: 22
Career: Student
Number of Years Sporcling: Just under 3 years; joined in November, 2009, but was playing quizzes and such a month or two before that.

Cryptus

Oct 1, 2012, 7:07:39 PM10/1/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Interesting idea. Here's mine:

Country I live in: England (although this is Sporcle, perhaps I should say UK, as not to bring up that argument again!)
Subdivision of the country: Medway, Kent
Gender: Male
Age: 19
Career: Undergraduate (2nd year) Physics student
No degrees, yet!
Number of Years Sporcling: around 4 1/2 years (since May 2008).

Looking forward to everyone else's responses!

Tom Pajor

Oct 1, 2012, 7:14:54 PM10/1/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country you live in: U.S.
Subdivision of the country: Columbus, Ohio
Gender: M
Age: 52
Career: High School Spanish Teacher (In my 30th year)
College Major(s)/Degrees: B.A.-Spanish, M.A.-Foreign Language Education (both from The Ohio State University)
Number of Years Sporcling: Just over 2
Tom/slipkid

Matt Selby

Oct 1, 2012, 7:16:49 PM10/1/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
This thread should be fun.

Country you live in: United States
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): Seattle, Washington
Gender: Male
Age: 30
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): Product Manager at Sporcle
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): BA in Digital Arts
Number of Years Sporcling: Started at Sporcle exactly 2 years ago (October 1st,  2010)

David William

Oct 1, 2012, 7:18:36 PM10/1/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
popestcyril here (Cyril is my patron saint, one of the most loveable and biggest SOB's ever to be canonized.)  (David is my legal name.)

I live in Pennsylvania, USA
I am male
52

I teach Mathematics and History in an inner city public school (though I have been a truck driver, cab driver, monk, and several other things.)
I also teach (and trained until training all went online) test prep for Kaplan, mostly LSAT, but also GRE, GMAT, SAT, and the non science portions of the MCAT and DAT.
I also tutor online for tutor.com
And, because 3 jobs aren't enough, I tutor in an after school program.

I have a B.A. in Biblical Literature cum laude from (now defunct) Northeastern Bible College; M.Div. magna cum laude from St. Tikhon's Russian Orthodox Seminary, and; M.Ed. summa cum laude from Kutztown University.  I am presently enrolled in a masters program in Statistics from Penn State, but am not sure I will continue.

I've been Sporcling for a year and a half, after being introduced to it when by the captain of the Scholastic Scrimmage team I coach, who has a published quiz himself on Sporcle (announced the event of the publishing on FB as the happiest day of his life!)

Cyril

triplet_3

Oct 1, 2012, 7:25:49 PM10/1/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Country you live in: United Kingdom
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): Hertfordshire
Gender: Female
Age: 27
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): Archivist
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): BA History and Music, MA Archives and Records Management
Number of Years Sporcling: 1 1/2

BanjoZebra

Oct 1, 2012, 8:07:39 PM10/1/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
A few of these, I don't feel so comfortable about answering. I'll just answer the ones that I'm comfortable to answer:

Country I live in: United States
Subdivision: ---
Gender: Male
Age: 11
Career: Student, Aspiring Graphic Designer
College Major Degrees: [none]
Number of years Sporcling: a little more than a year.
Message has been deleted

Hejman

Oct 1, 2012, 8:37:24 PM10/1/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Always fun to know more about people.  For example, I didn't know until he became an editor that slipkid lives about 20 minutes from me.  (Insert rousing chorus of "It's A Small World" here):

Country I live in: United States
Subdivision: Delaware, Ohio
Gender: Male
Age: 37
Career: Magistrate/Court Administrator- Delaware County Juvenile Court.  In addition I also write a weekly newspaper column and call play-by-play for a summer collegiate wood bat baseball league.
College Major Degrees: B.S. in Political Science (Hiram College), J.D. (The Ohio State University)
Number of years Sporcling: 4+  (Created an account in August 2008)

mcomisky

Oct 1, 2012, 8:40:45 PM10/1/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
This is a neat idea, but I'm not going to answer all of the questions.

Country you live in: USA
Gender: Male
Career: Student
Number of Years Sporcling: Almost 2 and a half years (started in June 2010)

LTH

Oct 1, 2012, 11:14:15 PM10/1/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country: USA
City & State: Seattle, WA
Gender: Male
Age: 29
Career: Raw minerals
College/Degree: University of Washington - BA Econ
Number of years Sporcling: Over 3 (April 2009)
Message has been deleted

Socc13r37

Oct 2, 2012, 1:12:19 AM10/2/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I thought I'll put in my info.

Country you live in: Australia
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): Sydney, NSW
Gender: Male
Age: 23
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): Student, part-time receptionist, aspiring artist.
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): Arts.
Number of Months Sporcling: 11.

druhutch

Oct 2, 2012, 1:34:29 AM10/2/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
@BanjoZebra: Wow...good on you. When I was that age...jeez. I don't know what I was doing. Actually I probably would've been doing this if the internet had existed. I think I was listening to Nirvana or something.
Country: U.S.
Grew up in Houston, Texas and left my heart in Austin, TX. For the past 9 years or so I've been living on and off in New York ****ing City.
Gender: Male
Age: 32
Career: Actor, but try not to hold that against me. Actually, I'm in a GE commercial that's currently airing in the U.S. Wanna see it? :P (that link may only work if you're on Facebook.)
College, etc.: BA in Theatre 2003; MFA in Theatre 2011
Number of years Sporcling: I believe it will be 2 come November.

David William

Oct 2, 2012, 4:27:58 AM10/2/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
druhutch

I thought your face looked familiar...have you by any chance done the PA Shakespeare Festival at DeSales in the Allentown area?

Cyril

sufradley

Oct 2, 2012, 5:21:44 AM10/2/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Sporclers are real? Who knew?
I think my biggest surprise has been slipkid, I think from your user name I assumed you were 1) a kid and 2) Into slipknot (which you may well be!)
Country you live in: UK
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): England
Gender: Female
Age: 34
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): Science Teacher
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college) BSc Genetics, PhD Cancer Genetics
Number of years sporcling: Just over 2 years

BuddyBoy77

Oct 2, 2012, 6:18:46 AM10/2/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Why not, I will answer some of these, very good idea SproutCM, I have also been curious about the other people that I have talked to on Sporcle, and played games made by these people. So here it is:

Country you live in: United States of America
    Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc): Massachusetts
Gender: Male
Age: 12
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): student, aspiring baseball player
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): None
Number of Years Sporcling: Under a Year (Started December 2011)

puckett86

Oct 2, 2012, 7:47:40 AM10/2/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country: U.S.A.
State: Maryland
Gender: Male
Age: 26
Career: Software Engineer
College Major(s)/Degrees: B.S. Mathematics, M.S. Applied Mathematics
Number of Years Sporcling: 2 1/2+
Social Security Number: haha yeah right

Quizmaster91

Oct 2, 2012, 8:46:16 AM10/2/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country you live in: The Netherlands
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): Nijmegen, Gelderland (near the border with Germany)
Gender: Male
Age: 20 (21 in 4 days)
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): Student (BA Business Communication)
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): None yet
Number of Years Sporcling: Almost 2 years, since + november 2010

Sean Reidy

Oct 2, 2012, 9:22:46 AM10/2/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country you live in: United States
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): Philadelphia, PA (originally Washington, DC)
Gender: Male
Age: 19
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): Student/Research Fellow
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): Mechanical Engineering/Physics (hopefully!) from the University of Pennsylvania
Number of Years Sporcling: 3 (since May 2009)

Milgita Haag

Oct 2, 2012, 9:36:48 AM10/2/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country you live in: United States
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): Texas
Gender: F
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): High School Student
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): none
Number of Years Sporcling: about 1

--
milgita

AdmiralMaxtreme

Oct 2, 2012, 10:18:17 AM10/2/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country you live in:  United States
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.):  Columbus, Ohio
Gender:  Male
Age:  24
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc):  Software Engineer
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college):  BS in Computer Science & Engineering from The Ohio State University
Number of Years Sporcling:  5 (since October-ish of 2007)

- AdmiralMaxtreme
Message has been deleted

skuban

Oct 2, 2012, 10:25:44 AM10/2/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country: Canada
Area: Raised in Brampton Ontario, currently studying in Waterloo, ON
Gender: Male
Age: 19
Career: Student in co-op; most recent co-op job, Statistical Analyst in London, ON
University Degree: Statistics Major, Computer Science minor
Years Sporcling: Began playing games Sept-Oct 2010; created an account summer 2011; started being active with my account July 2012 (so two years since I first began)

These are interesting demographics. I am surprised at the average age of respondents, as I always thought Sporcle would be popular more among the younger demographics. Who knew!

druhutch

rer2121

Oct 2, 2012, 3:52:49 PM10/2/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country: United States of America
Subdivision: Delaware (the state, not the Ohio city)
Gender: Male
Age: 12
Career: Student
College Major(s)/Degrees: None
Years Sporcling: A little over a year

Kate Janzen

Oct 2, 2012, 3:57:17 PM10/2/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Country you live in: United States
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): Seattle, Washington
Gender: Female
Age: 19
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): Student and Sporcle Content Associate
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): (in process) BS in Psychology, minor in French; AA Degree
Number of Years Sporcling: Started at Sporcle about 2 years ago

vikZ

Oct 2, 2012, 4:36:29 PM10/2/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country: Canada
Area: Toronto ON but I study in London ON
Gender: Male
Age: 21
Career: Undergraduate student, soon to be actuary
University: Honours Spec. Actuarial Science, and I'm trying to squeeze in a major in Financial Modeling
Years Sporcling: Around 2 years. Made an account Dec 2010, but started making quizzes 13 months ago.

tobley

Oct 2, 2012, 5:02:00 PM10/2/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
The images I have had in my head about most of these people before today have been quite incorrect.

Country you live in: US
Subdivision of country: Houston, Texas
Gender: Male
Age: 25
Career: Graduate student (bioengineering)
College Major: BS in chemical engineering
Number of years Sporcling: almost 3

-tobley

Chair

Oct 2, 2012, 6:01:09 PM10/2/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
This has been a really interesting thread!

Country: USA
Subdivision: Wisconsin is home, but I go to school in Illinois
Gender: Male
Age: 20
Career: Undergraduate, aspiring editor/publisher of children's (YA) fiction.
College Major(s)/Degrees: English (Creative Writing/Fiction) and Classics (Latin)
Years Sporcling: A year and a half

-Chair (Brian)

needapausebutton

Oct 2, 2012, 6:10:07 PM10/2/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country you live in: US
Subdivision of the country: Crashing with friends indefinitely in New England for over a year now (how long can I get away with this?)
Gender: Male
Age: The sum of three of the ages previously posted
Career: Landscaping
College Major(s)/Degrees:  B.S.     No, the other kind.    NO, the OTHER other kind!
Number of Years Sporcling: 1.1666....

googlebird

Oct 2, 2012, 7:18:15 PM10/2/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country: USA
Subdivision: St. Louis, MO
Gender: female
Age: 50 (at least for another week)
Career: Special Education teacher for 27 years (currently at the high school level)
College Major(s)/Degrees: BA in Education
Years Sporcling: 3 years

Seems like there's no such thing as your average "Sporcler"!
Very interesting to learn about the folks behind the little icon and user name.

RobPro

Oct 2, 2012, 7:23:44 PM10/2/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I like this!

Country: UK
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): South West
Gender: Male
Age: 20
Career: Student
College Major(s)/Degrees: Currently doing BSc Geology
Number of Years Sporcling: 2.7ish? (Since Jan 2010)
Message has been deleted

wiggytitch

Oct 3, 2012, 9:18:09 AM10/3/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country you live in: UK
Subdivision of the country: Kent (south east)
Gender: Female
Age: 19
Career: Student
College Major(s)/Degrees: Mathematics degree
Number of Years Sporcling: ~2

Some very surprising answers here!

Derek Pharr

Oct 3, 2012, 11:40:25 AM10/3/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country you live in: USA
Subdivision of the country: Seattle, Washington
Gender: Male
Age: 38
Career: VP of Products
College Major(s)/Degrees: Communications
Number of Years Sporcling: 5+

Derek Pharr, Vice President of Products

t: @dpharr

Sporcle, Inc., Seattle

titanjmg

Oct 3, 2012, 2:45:42 PM10/3/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'm not comfortable with answering all of these, but here's mine:
Country: USA
Age: 11
# of yrs Sporcling: 2 years, but I've only been making quizzes for a few months now

titanjmg

Oct 3, 2012, 3:10:18 PM10/3/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Oh yeah, also,
Male
Student (aspiring author/veterinarian)

Dan Munro

Oct 3, 2012, 5:18:14 PM10/3/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country you live in: USA
Subdivision of the country: Seattle, Washington
Gender: Male
Age: 25
Career: Software Engineer
College Major(s)/Degrees: Anthropology

On Monday, October 1, 2012 3:39:12 PM UTC-7, SproutCM wrote:
[...]

Aurora Illumina

Oct 3, 2012, 6:52:02 PM10/3/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Interesting thread. Lots of things I didn't know (though that was to be expected.)

Country you live in: Canada
Subdivision of the country: Ontario
Gender:
Career: Student, but interested in music
College Major(s)/Degrees: Math, a bit of Computer Science (but not too much)
Number of Years Sporcling: Just over two

Toby123

Oct 4, 2012, 1:53:26 AM10/4/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country you live in: England, UK
Gender: Male
Age: 15
Career (student, aspiring Doctor, Sporcle editor): Student
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): 2As and 5Bs n my GCSEs so far!
Number of Years Sporcling: just over one year (July 2011)

Interesting thread!!

Nanners

Oct 4, 2012, 2:58:44 PM10/4/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Wow, yeah a lot of surprises here. I think I'm more shocked by people's ages rather than anything else.

Country: United States
City: Seattle (although I'm a transplant and would like to give a shout out to all the fellow Texans on this thread)
Gender: Female
Age: 24
Career: Sporcle Content Associate and Student (double majoring in Russian/Eastern European Studies and Linguistics, also picking up a minor in Biology)
Number of Years Sporcling: Almost 2....

-Nanners

MrChewypoo

Oct 4, 2012, 3:37:27 PM10/4/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country you live in: Canada
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): The cold part
Gender: Male
Age: Pushing 40 (my God, that looks old when I type it!)
Career: Director of IT (no, not the Stephen King adaptation)
College Major(s)/Degrees: BSc Computers, minored in beer
Number of Years Sporcling:3 yearsish

- MrChewypoo

Message has been deleted

Aurora Illumina

Oct 4, 2012, 11:08:34 PM10/4/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hm, I think I should have proofread my facts before posting. I was not on Sporcle for two years; I probably mistook the date with something else I did online. Corrected version below:

On Wednesday, October 3, 2012 6:52:02 PM UTC-4, Aurora Illumina wrote:
Interesting thread. Lots of things I didn't know (though that was to be expected.)

Country you live in: Canada
Subdivision of the country: Ontario
Gender:
Career: Student, aspiring to do something in music
College Major(s)/Degrees: Math, a bit of Computer Science (but not too much)
Number of Years Sporcling: About 1.25 years

Gregoire

Oct 5, 2012, 10:16:26 PM10/5/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country you live in:  United States
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.):  North Reading, Massachusetts
Gender:  Male
Age:  34
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc):  Sales Engineer
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college):  BS in Electrical Engineering
Number of Years Sporcling:  Just got started a few months ago

Gregoire

Oct 5, 2012, 10:20:09 PM10/5/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Oh and I should add for all of you Seattleites (that is what you go by isn't it?) that yes, my name is in fact Chris Gregoire... but not THAT Chris Gregoire, I promise :)

Colmar

Oct 6, 2012, 3:02:55 AM10/6/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
 I just discovered Sporcle University, I had been on vacation during the opening.

Country you live in: Canada
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): Born/raised in Mississauga but currently in Ottawa.
Gender: M
Age: 18
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): Student in uOttawa, aspiring Foreign Services Officer.
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): Currently in Poli Sci w/ French Immersion
Number of Years Sporcling: Just over 1.5 years, found Sporcle when I was trying to find a world capitals quiz and Geography is still my favourite category. (unless it's an alphabetical geography quiz!)

Daniel Hodgson

Oct 6, 2012, 6:25:20 AM10/6/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

I live in the U.S., around Pittsburgh Pennsylvania.
Male
15
Hoping to be a physicist.
High School still.
I've been sporcling for about 2.75 yearsish.

On Oct 1, 2012 6:39 PM, "SproutCM" <sproutc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am kind of curious, because I really wonder what the demographic is like of people who are very dedicated to Sporcle and make or take lots of quizzes. I'm sure some patterns exist, and those of us who are editors all kinda know about each other in real life, but the curators and other dedicated users are more of a mystery.  So, I'd like to start a census of sorts for the people who frequent Sporcle U.  All questions are optional, or may be left vague (like age, you can say your actual age, a ball park, or nothing). Feel free to leave things blank, but don't distort things.
>
> Country you live in:

> Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.):

> Gender:
> Age:

> Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc):

> College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college):

> Number of Years Sporcling:
>
> ---
> Here are my answers:
>

> Country you live in: United States

> Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): Boston, Massachusetts
> Gender: Male
> Age: 41
> Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): Chemistry professor
> College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): AB and PhD in Chemistry
> Number of Years Sporcling: just over 3 years (Since May 2009)
>

> --

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sporcle-university/-/yo2VB9v1pwIJ.

THEJMAN

Oct 6, 2012, 1:24:11 PM10/6/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country you live in: United States
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): Buffalo Grove, Illinois (northwest suburbs of Chicago)
Gender: male
Age: 16 (or 4, depending on how you count age)
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): student
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): n/a
Number of Years Sporcling: just under 3 years (since Nov. 2009)

triplet_3

Oct 7, 2012, 10:24:46 AM10/7/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thejman, just out of interest, were you born on February 29th? Also...random fact but for quite a long time I read your username in my head as 'T Hej Man', not 'The J Man'! :p

theshliz

Oct 7, 2012, 2:52:23 PM10/7/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country you live in: Canada
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): Burlington, Ontario
Gender: Male
Age: 19
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): Student
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): Business Economics (Currently in 2nd year)
Number of Years Sporcling: 3+ (since March 2009)

On Monday, October 1, 2012 6:39:12 PM UTC-4, SproutCM wrote:
[...]

TheBestDRose

Oct 13, 2012, 11:37:32 AM10/13/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country I live in: United States
Subdivision: Deerfield, Illinois
Gender: Male
Age: 11
Career: Student
Number of years Sporcling: just about 1

Scout_Number_4

Oct 14, 2012, 2:13:43 AM10/14/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country you live in: USA
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): Oregon City, Oregon
Gender: Male
Age: 46
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): Electrical Sales
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): BSEE (you can't spell geek without a Double E)
Number of Years Sporcling: 3+ Gracious, this wonderful site has evolved a ton since I first discovered it.
Message has been deleted

Ellix

Oct 23, 2012, 4:21:32 AM10/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country: Canada, ON
Gender: M
Age: 24
Career: Pharmacy Student
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): B.Sc Toxicology; B.Sc Pharmacy candidate
Number of Years Sporcling: 4+ (Sep, 2008)

Wow, has it really been that long? I don't clearly remember but I'm pretty sure it was one of either Pokemon (Gen I), or the Periodic Table which lured me to the site. :p

I'll be honest, this thread has mainly surprised me in how some Sporcle regulars I thought were female are actually male, and vice versa. I guess avatars are definitely worse than book covers for judgement.

Maphead

Oct 24, 2012, 1:03:02 PM10/24/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country you live in: United States
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.) Olympia, WA
Gender: Male
Age: 15
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): Student
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): None, yet.
Number of Years Sporcling: 1

RobPro

Dec 3, 2012, 3:20:51 AM12/3/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
*bump* In case others missed this or are interested in it :P

Aurora Illumina

Dec 3, 2012, 8:59:49 AM12/3/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I feel like I should take this opportunity to explain the lack of a gender marker in my post... If I was able to change my Sporcle username, I would want to do so, but alas, I can't. Here's the explanation I posted on YouTube.

Sorry for being misleading. :(
Aurora Illumina is multiple people disguised as a single person.

MovieGuru

Dec 3, 2012, 12:24:15 PM12/3/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country you live in: USA
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): Minnesota
Gender: Male
Age: 23
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): Software Designer
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): Computer Science, Math

NC_Watson

Dec 4, 2012, 3:54:07 AM12/4/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country: United States
Subdivision: North Carolina
Gender: Male
Age: 26
Career: Librarian
Degrees: BA in History and Religion; MS in Library Science
Long time Sporcler (2009?), just recently started making quizzes

Spacemaniac

Dec 8, 2012, 1:27:15 PM12/8/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country you live in: Israel
Gender: Male
Age: 14
Career: Student (aspiring Graphic Designer)

Headers2304

Dec 21, 2012, 4:32:38 PM12/21/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys! Just joining this new forum format, and looking forward to getting to know all of you, so I just thought I would share something about me.

Country: United Kingdom
Subdivision: Guernsey (Crown Dependency of the United Kingdom)
Gender: Male
Age: 15 2/3
Career: Aspiring Mathematician
Honours/Degrees: GCSE Mathematics A* completed 18 months early
Time Sporcling: 11 months

Message has been deleted

Lee DiGeorge

Dec 21, 2012, 10:58:16 PM12/21/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country you live in: United States
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): New York / New York City
Gender: Male
Age: 32
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): Middle School Teacher
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): Undergrad: SUNY Stony Brook. Grad/Doctoral (in progress): University of Southern California.
Number of Years Sporcling: At least 3. Hell if I remember :)

[...]

Erik Siersdale

Jan 4, 2013, 11:30:02 AM1/4/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Kind of strange that the person who started the topic, Sprout, lives within the MBTA network as I do.

Country you live in: USA
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): Boston, MA
Gender: Male
Age: 26
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): Health Insurance Business Analyst
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): Working on MBA
Number of Years Sporcling: Started late 2008

Nash61

Jan 4, 2013, 5:49:43 PM1/4/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
County: Canada
Gender: Male
Age:12
Career: Aspiring Graphic Designer
#of years Sporcling: 3

[...]

goseaward

Jan 5, 2013, 12:09:49 AM1/5/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Counting my answers below, 53 people have answered this poll & still have their answers up.  The stats:

85% male, 15% female.  Median age 23, mean age 24.9, of those who gave concrete ages.  25% under the age of 18, and all of them who gave gender were male.  34 of 53 live in the US, 8 each in Canada and the UK, plus one each from New Zealand, Australia, and Israel.  A little older and more male than I was expecting, personally...

Country you live in: USA
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): Pennsylvania
Gender: Female
Age: 28
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): Astronomer
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): BS physics & astronomy, PhD astrophysics
Number of Years Sporcling: about 2

Spacemaniac

Jan 12, 2013, 4:36:13 PM1/12/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Oh sorry, I forgot how many years I'm sporcling for. On my profile it says I created my account on May 5th 2011 (which is true), but I've only been using my account actively since September 2012 (although I created a few quizzes before then).

ChileNoseJam

Jan 14, 2013, 6:06:12 PM1/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country you live in: UK
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): Norfolk
Gender: Male
Age: 27
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): Teacher
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): BSc maths
Number of Years Sporcling: 3 and a bit

NYYanks

Jan 28, 2013, 10:03:32 PM1/28/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Country you live in: USA
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): New Jersey
Gender: Male
Age: 15
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): High School Student
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): none yet
Number of Years Sporcling: 15 months

beforever

Jan 28, 2013, 10:23:36 PM1/28/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country you live in: United Kingdom, but originally from Hong Kong
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): Canterbury, Kent
Gender: M
Age: 18
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): University student, aspiring forensic anthropologist
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): BSc Anthropology
Number of Years Sporcling: Since March 1st 2009

iglew

Jan 28, 2013, 11:11:21 PM1/28/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I just signed up for Sporcle University.

Country you live in:  United States
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): Snohomish County, Washington (about 20 minutes north of Seatle)
Gender: male
Age: 47
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc):  tax accountant
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): never went to college (No Sporcla Cum Laude badge for me!)
Number of Years Sporcling: The day after tomorrow is my one-year anniversary.

Caramba

Jan 30, 2013, 2:24:10 PM1/30/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country you live in:  Canada
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): British Columbia (about 2 hours north of Seattle)
Gender: male
Age: 51
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc):  database developer
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): Diplomas in Business Admin/Systems Admin
Number of Years Sporcling: 3 1/2

razorz

Jan 30, 2013, 8:26:36 PM1/30/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country you live in: United States
Subdivision of the country: Maryland
Gender: Male
Age: 26
Career: Business Process Analyst
College Major(s)/Degrees: BA & MBA
Number of Years Sporcling: 2 (didn't start making quizzes for about 6 months)

CaseyLeigh

Jan 31, 2013, 6:17:42 PM1/31/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country you live in: USA
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): South Carolina
Gender: Female
Age: 25
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): museum professional
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): BA in Anthropology and History, MA in Museum Studies and Art History
Number of Years Sporcling: about 2.5

[...]

JoeBeta

Feb 12, 2013, 10:19:54 AM2/12/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Country you live in: USA
Subdivision of the country: trapped bouncing back and forth between Maine and New York (due to real estate market collapse), eventually (hopefully) just Maine
Gender: Male
Age: 61
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): retired letter carrier
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): one year of college which was so much fun that I couldn't bear to stay.
Number of Years Sporcling: 8 months

egraus

Feb 13, 2013, 6:33:54 PM2/13/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country:  United States
City/State: Voorhees, NJ
Gender:  Male
Age:  31
Career:  Civil Engineer (I work in land development)
College Major(s)/Degrees:  Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering - Widener University, Chester, PA,  Class of 2004.
Sporcle Age:  I started Sporcling about 2 years ago.  I downloaded the mobile app from Amazon's Android App Store when it was the featured app of the day.  I played on my mobile phone all the time, but I never made an account.  Just this past week I finally checked out Sporcle on my laptop computer and created an account.  It is so much easier typing answers on my computer keyboard than on my mobile phone!   I also am looking forward to creating my first Sporcle Quiz soon!

hscer

Feb 13, 2013, 8:21:05 PM2/13/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
25 year old male from Virginia, USA, currently "using" my History B. A. for non-profit work. I will have been on Sporcle for four years come March.

I think that covered all of it...

[...]

Ubbiebubbie

Feb 13, 2013, 8:47:46 PM2/13/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Country you live in: USA
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): I'll pass.
Gender: Male
Age: 13
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): Aspiring author, maybe. I don't know.
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): None, but that's just me being lazy.
Number of Years Sporcling: Almost 2 (April 2011), but I started actually creating quizzes February 2012

beforever

Feb 13, 2013, 11:41:31 PM2/13/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Can I just say that I lied about my age before. I'm actually 21, not 18, and I have no idea why I typed 18 the first time. I guess I subconsciously wanted to be younger? But speaking of young...

BanjoZebra (11)
BuddyBoy77 (12)
rer2121 (12)
titanjmg (11)
Toby123 (15)
teddy109768 (15)
THEJMAN (16)
TheBestDRose (11)
Maphead (15)
Spacemaniac (14)
Headers2304 (15)
NYYanks (15)
Ubbiebubbie (13)

I just wanted to say I find it amazing that you guys are under 18 and have demonstrated the tremendous thirsts for knowledge that you have via Sporcle... like, I am in utter awe at the number and caliber of quizzes you all have made, your various (some very coveted) curatorship roles, your hundreds of comments, and your thousands of quiz plays. I mean, being a curator is quite a job for all of us, but when you're that young and yet so wise and astute when making picks, giving advice, getting involved on Sporcle University - boy, it wouldn't be too far-fetched to put that in your CV one day, you know? 'Cause when I was your age, I wasn't even remotely as interested in the world's complexity as you have shown you are, let alone interested in 'organizing' the knowledge I had gained, testing the knowledge that I had, or using my knowledge to bring joy and education to others. Now as I've discovered (through my university degree) that I want to work in academia one day, the sorts of things you guys do are really, really admirable to me sheerly because of your age, and wonderful to see. Like it actually makes me happy inside that there are young teens out there that dig this sort of stuff.

Some of you are 11?!
Crazy!

You are all going to be so successful in the future at whatever you're going to want to do, no doubt about it.

iglew

Feb 14, 2013, 1:01:56 AM2/14/13
On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:41:31 PM UTC-8, beforever wrote:
[...] 'Cause when I was your age, I wasn't even remotely as interested in the world's complexity [...]

It makes me smile to see you say "when I was your age", when you yourself are only 21!

When *I* was your age ... well, for starters the Internet didn't exist yet.

druhutch

Feb 14, 2013, 3:33:16 AM2/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
@beforever: Well, they're either all a bunch of liars, or a bunch of Doogie Howsers. Ironically, if it's the latter, then they would not understand that reference.

Spacemaniac

Feb 14, 2013, 3:50:02 AM2/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'm the most surprised by BanjoZebra, the amount of great quizzes he makes,and the quiz contests. WOW!

Headers2304

Feb 14, 2013, 6:17:24 AM2/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Beforever:

I can assure you that I am not lying! :)

I think that it is a great time at the moment to be on Sporcle, with so many young people willing to come and spend their time on such a site, sharing their knowledge and ideas with such a large community. If such a high standard can be kept, then there will be plenty of excellent Sporclers left in the years to come, and to be honest, I should really be studying more, but there isn't much to do aside from that in Guernsey. :)

NYYanks

Feb 14, 2013, 6:24:50 AM2/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks beforever for the post! Glad to hear that. @druhutch I am not lying, trust me.

mcomisky

Feb 14, 2013, 7:43:18 AM2/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Well, I never gave my age when I posted here earlier, but I also fit into this age range :)

tylercarson

Feb 14, 2013, 8:26:46 AM2/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Well, I never gave any information about me, but I also fit into this age range.

Spacemaniac

Feb 14, 2013, 3:51:42 PM2/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
And I'm actually 14.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

arctanproject

Mar 8, 2013, 2:52:01 PM3/8/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone!

For more about me, see this post in Sporcle University.

Country you live in: Canada
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): Toronto, ON
Gender: Male
Age: 24
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): Accountant
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): MAcc, BMath
Number of Years Sporcling: Introduced to Sporcle by Badly Drawn Faces for iOS in October. Account created in December, started making quizzes in February

Cheers,

[...]

sufradley

Apr 18, 2013, 6:39:15 PM4/18/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Since there seems to be a few new names of late I thought this could do with a bump.

Erik Siersdale

NC_Watson

Apr 18, 2013, 11:41:17 PM4/18/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I know there are some others here who live in Carrboro, but despite it being a small town, unless somebody sees me with my laptop open to Sporcle at the coffee shop, I can't imagine we'd ever spot each other.

Hullabaloo

Apr 19, 2013, 6:00:17 AM4/19/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Country you live in: United Kingdom
Subdivision of the country (State, Province, etc.): Kent, England
Gender: Male
Age: 23
Career (student, aspiring artist, lawyer, etc): Working my way towards being a lawyer - only 2 years left till fully qualified, hopefully!
College Major(s)/Degrees (if you've started or finished college): Degree in Law.
Number of Years Sporcling: Since 2010

beforever

Apr 19, 2013, 9:36:13 AM4/19/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Really? I study at the University of Kent, you know. Hi, neighbor.
It is loading more messages.