The Eighth Quiz-Making Contest

BanjoZebra

Apr 14, 2013, 12:36:25 PM4/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Welcome to...
The Eighth Quiz-Making Contest!

How it Works:
  • For the contest, there will be a theme. All entries must pertain to that theme in any way.
  • To enter your quiz, just post it on this thread.
  • Wednesday (April 17) will be the last day for entering. Voting will then start at midnight EST, and take place for 3 more days.
  • The winning quiz will (if all goes well) get published on Sporcle.
How to Vote:

Email me (banjo...@gmail.com) with your vote. Your email should look something like this:

1. [Quiz 1] (your favorite entry)
2. [Quiz 2] (second favorite entry)
3. [Quiz 3] (third)

1st place is worth 3 points, 2nd is worth 2, and 3rd is 1. Please only tell me your top three
I will then tally up the votes and post our winner here.

Other Rules:
  • You may only enter one quiz.
  • You may vote if you've entered, but please don't vote for your own quiz.
  • When voting, make sure to tell me your Sporcle username.
  • Entries must be created after the contest has started.
This week's theme is:

Either one. Or both, somehow. Have fun, everybody!

skuban

Apr 14, 2013, 1:16:35 PM4/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
You know, just yesterday I was thinking of emailing you and asking about the quiz contests (or lack thereof). Yay!

Hullabaloo

Apr 14, 2013, 2:19:38 PM4/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
When will we know the theme?

Headers2304

Apr 14, 2013, 2:25:37 PM4/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hullabaloo: Just click on the 'show hidden image' and it will reveal that the theme is 'Sun or Son'.

Looking forward to this one - my entry will be in within 24 hours.

Hullabaloo

Apr 14, 2013, 2:30:21 PM4/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Didn't notice that, thanks mate.

Headers2304

Apr 14, 2013, 2:57:00 PM4/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
You're welcome. :)

triplet_3

Apr 14, 2013, 3:48:08 PM4/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
First time I've entered one of these contests! My entry is: 'Son' Baby Names (2011)

A bit unimaginitive I'm afraid, but an enjoyable quiz for some sporclers I hope.

Triplet_3

Trevor Birenbaum

Apr 14, 2013, 3:59:41 PM4/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Can we make a quiz that does both son and sun? I've had an idea for a while that those two fall into nicely.

Headers2304

Apr 14, 2013, 4:01:14 PM4/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
mrsiriustab: that's what I plan to do - hopefully that gives us twice as much of a chance as the rest! :)

Daniel Hodgson

Apr 14, 2013, 4:09:10 PM4/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

If this would have fallen on April Fool's day, I would have been extremely tempted to make a word ladder of Sun to son.  That's the only way I would be able to think of relating them.

On Apr 14, 2013 4:01 PM, "Headers2304" <hea...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
mrsiriustab: that's what I plan to do - hopefully that gives us twice as much of a chance as the rest! :)

needapausebutton

Apr 14, 2013, 4:44:30 PM4/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
@teddy109768:

Ironically, our quiz-contest chief, BanjoZebra, has made just that sort of ladder, which I thought was a great April Fool's quiz:  Word Ladder: Amazing 7-Letter Countries

Daniel Hodgson

Apr 14, 2013, 4:46:39 PM4/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Haha, that's pretty funny, thanks for pointing that out. That have me a laugh.

On Apr 14, 2013 4:44 PM, "needapausebutton" <na...@roadrunner.com> wrote:
@teddy109768:

Ironically, our quiz-contest chief, BanjoZebra, has made just that sort of ladder, which I thought was a great April Fool's quiz:  Word Ladder: Amazing 7-Letter Countries

stanford0008

Apr 14, 2013, 5:13:29 PM4/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'll submit my extremely literal interpretation: ✯Sun or Son✯.

RobPro

Apr 14, 2013, 5:36:46 PM4/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
My little game: Quiz... Called 'Sunny Delight' so far, but haven't thought of a better title :P

sufradley

Apr 14, 2013, 6:22:05 PM4/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
@RobPro  - I like it, I too was chanting along (a little crazed at times), I went for sun sun man man sun sun. However, have you had an attack of grocer's apostrophe in the title?

NYYanks

Apr 14, 2013, 6:25:27 PM4/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
http://www.sporcle.com/games/NYYanks/son-sun

Mine is a this or that quiz where you are given word endings and you have to determine if son or sun goes before it.

RobPro

Apr 14, 2013, 6:41:46 PM4/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
@Sufradley - Haha, I usually go overboard with the commas! Thanks :P

goseaward

Apr 14, 2013, 7:34:54 PM4/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

SproutCM

Apr 15, 2013, 12:01:43 AM4/15/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
SUN + SON Words

Here's mine. Just a quick language quiz.

iglew

Apr 15, 2013, 3:51:11 AM4/15/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Like Triplet, I'm entering the contest for the first time this round.  I fear mine is a bit on the didactic side, but that's how I roll...

Headers2304

Apr 15, 2013, 11:59:53 AM4/15/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Here's mine: 'Shiny Happy People' lyrics by R.E.M

http://www.sporcle.com/games/Headers2304/sunshine-lollipops

My thoughts are that the 'shiny' is for the Sun, and seeing as sons are people, it works, I guess... :)

Hullabaloo

Apr 15, 2013, 3:41:50 PM4/15/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Tom Pajor

Apr 15, 2013, 10:00:02 PM4/15/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Hullabaloo <adamp...@aol.com> wrote:
http://www.sporcle.com/games/Hullabaloo/sons-by-fathers-images

druhutch

Apr 16, 2013, 12:14:30 AM4/16/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Spacemaniac

Apr 16, 2013, 4:27:47 AM4/16/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Here's my quiz:
http://www.sporcle.com/games/Spacemaniac/best-picture-winners-without-sunrise
(Best Picture Winners Without Sunrise)
@druhutch I actually started working on this yesterday before you put out your quiz.

sufradley

Apr 16, 2013, 2:30:28 PM4/16/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Written by George Harrison about the sun, my entry is a lyrics quiz for Here Comes the Sun -  it's also fitting as here in the UK we have only just managed to get rid of winter.

Message has been deleted

Hejman

Apr 16, 2013, 11:42:35 PM4/16/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
And here's my entry: Son of a... President

skuban

Apr 16, 2013, 11:46:18 PM4/16/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Here is my entry:

beforever

Apr 17, 2013, 12:11:56 AM4/17/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Here's my submission: ♃ Greek Gods Logic Puzzle ⚵

This took so much research and time, so if you like logic puzzles, I hope you all have fun with it regardless of the contest. It's just what came to mind when I saw BanjoZebra's theme for it.

My reasoning was... a lot of these gods are sons of other deities in the puzzle, or have sons themselves. Additionally, some of these gods have been associated with the Sun (e.g., Apollo, Dionysus, Zeus), and one of them (Helios) is even the personification of the Sun.

Enjoy!

Flick

Apr 17, 2013, 1:14:08 PM4/17/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

BanjoZebra

Apr 17, 2013, 10:31:47 PM4/17/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Only a couple hours left for entries! Voting starts tomorrow.

skuban

Apr 18, 2013, 10:11:50 AM4/18/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
So it looks like these are the official entries:

✯Sun or Son✯ - stanford0008
Sunny Delight - RobPro
SUN + SON Words - Sproutcm
Here Comes the Sun - sufradley

Wow, 17 entries! Good luck narrowing it down to your top three.

Just a reminder:

How to Vote:

Email me (banjo...@gmail.com) with your vote. Your email should look something like this:

1. [Quiz 1] (your favorite entry)
2. [Quiz 2] (second favorite entry)
3. [Quiz 3] (third)

1st place is worth 3 points, 2nd is worth 2, and 3rd is 1. Please only tell me your top three
I will then tally up the votes and post our winner here.

Other Rules:
  • You may vote if you've entered, but please don't vote for your own quiz.
  • When voting, make sure to tell me your Sporcle username.

RobPro

Apr 18, 2013, 10:24:50 AM4/18/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
(I renamed mine 'Sunny, not so delight' :P But thanks :)

Trevor Birenbaum

Apr 18, 2013, 10:25:21 AM4/18/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Ah, shoot. I thought it ended today. Oh well... I'll make one next time.

Some great quizzes in there. I'm going to have trouble voting!

Headers2304

Apr 18, 2013, 11:07:43 AM4/18/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
And you've mis-titled mine - 'Shiny Happy PEOPLE' lyrics. Plenty of excellent quizzes here - by no means expect to get anywhere near the top three. Competition for these Quiz-Making contests are getting so much harder - just shows the quality of so many Sporcle users.

Hullabaloo

Apr 18, 2013, 1:33:46 PM4/18/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
The small chance I had was long gone after people who can make ready formatted image quizzes posted their entries! Should have gone a different route.

Haven't had a chance to play most of the entries, but I'll get an email across by tomorrow hopefully

BanjoZebra

Apr 18, 2013, 1:42:27 PM4/18/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, skuban. I was pretty busy last night, so the voting list is much appreciated.

sufradley

Apr 18, 2013, 6:47:33 PM4/18/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
@Hullabaloo
I would think that most people that lurk on Sporcle Uni will be able to see through the ready formatted aspect for a contest like this. There are still a couple of things you could do to help yours along for the final push, you could add numbers to the images to help players spot which they still need to complete and you could add a dash of colour to your answer grid. I did say experienced Sporcler's can see through formatting but the grey/gray is generally a bit unpopular.

beforever

Apr 18, 2013, 7:23:26 PM4/18/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Also, check this quiz out: http://www.sporcle.com/games/dlh1231/two_types_are_better_than_one1

It isn't important what it's about, but basically I really liked what he had done to frame the images despite not having special tool use privileges. I also helped him out via e-mail in pinpointing the exact color he needed to match his answer grid to his image grid. I haven't made any image quizzes yet, but am planning to try my hand at it in about a month or two. What dlh1231 did in his quiz is definitely a good look, one I'm very inspired by.

Hullabaloo

Apr 19, 2013, 5:46:25 AM4/19/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I've made quite a few image quizzes over the last couple of months and I've gotta say this is not my best and was a little bit rushed - I'm even thinking about taking it offline once the contest is over. I just think that ready formatted image quizzes are more aesthetically pleasing, involve less scrolling and are just received more positively in general.

I appreciate the feedback, but I'm not sure numbering would help that much - the way I see it is you either know the answer or you don't (I even put the name of the imaged person in the extra column once correctly answered) - and I put the answers in order rather than randomly!
And the colouring is a bit naff, I know. I must have been feeling a bit grey that day.

BanjoZebra

Apr 20, 2013, 4:51:13 PM4/20/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Today is the last day for voting, so make sure to get your votes in!

Hullabaloo

Apr 20, 2013, 6:53:04 PM4/20/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
For some reason I can't send you an email :/

BanjoZebra

Apr 21, 2013, 5:38:27 PM4/21/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
The results are in!

Tied for 2nd place, with 8 points each:
Ain't No Sunshine On These Songs by druhutch
Sunny or Sonny Blitz by NYYanks

And, the winner of the eighth Sporcle quiz-making contest is (with 14 points):
Sunny, Not So Delight by RobPro!

Congratulations to RobPro and thanks to everyone else who participated. See ya next time!

NYYanks

Apr 21, 2013, 6:14:41 PM4/21/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Congrats RobPro on a great quiz! Very well deserving.

I'm proud of myself at least being tied for 2nd at least :)

NYYanks

Apr 21, 2013, 6:15:07 PM4/21/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Excuse the 2 "at least" in there. *facepalm*

druhutch

Apr 22, 2013, 2:16:29 AM4/22/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Ah, curses! If only I hadn't voted for your damn quiz, RobPro! Wait, it looks like you'd have won anyway. Never mind. Congrats, buddy!

RobPro

Apr 22, 2013, 4:08:47 AM4/22/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Ah cool! Ha sorry Dru :/! Thanks for the voting those that did :D First time entering a quiz contest, so quite lucky! And thanks for the EP too :)

Hullabaloo

Apr 22, 2013, 9:27:40 AM4/22/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Congrats to the winner.
I see the reason I couldn't email was because I thought your email was actually banjo...@gmail.com!
Turns out my votes wouldn't have altered things much.

How often do these contests come around? Looking forward to the next one.