Sporcle CollaboLadder

BanjoZebra

Jul 22, 2012, 8:58:36 PM7/22/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I was getting really bored, so I thought to myself: "Hmmm... What if us Sporclers could create a 5 letter word ladder together using Sporcle University?" And here it is. The Sporcle CollaboLadder.

What to Post:

A 5-letter word that connects to the previous word in the word ladder.
A clue (not too hard, not too easy) for your 5-letter word.

Rules:

Follow similar rules as you would if you were making your own word ladder, for example:
  • Don't change the same letter position twice in a row.
  • Make sure your word and clue are not too obscure.
And finally,
  • Please refrain from adding more than one word to the ladder.

I've added my word, and I'd love to see yours. If enough of us participate in the CollaboLadder, I'll make it into a Sporcle quiz. I'll keep track of the words, clues, and users here:

BRICK - Clay block used for building (BanjoZebra)

Halophex

Jul 22, 2012, 9:18:46 PM7/22/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
PRICK - to pierce

BanjoZebra

Jul 22, 2012, 10:29:57 PM7/22/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Oh, oops. I guess I can't really keep track of the words on the original post. Alright then. Let's continue.

druhutch

Jul 23, 2012, 3:01:26 AM7/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Five dollars to anyone who comes up with something other than "PRICE" for the next rung.

Geo1

Jul 23, 2012, 9:04:35 AM7/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
TRICK- decieve or outwit
That'll be $5 druhutch.

BanjoZebra

Jul 23, 2012, 9:15:00 AM7/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Geo1 - Sorry, that would be changing the same letter position twice in a row. But on the upside, druhutch gets his money back. ;)

Okay, let's continue from PRICK.

Geo1

Jul 23, 2012, 9:39:56 AM7/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
PRINK- to deck or dress for show

Do I get my five dollars now?

druhutch

Jul 23, 2012, 1:53:33 PM7/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hey, I didn't say you get two tries. Okay, okay. you at least deserve $2.50. You did teach me a new word. Here I'll go:
PRINE - country/folk singer John

THEJMAN

Jul 23, 2012, 7:17:12 PM7/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
BRINE - pickle juice

RobPro

Jul 23, 2012, 7:18:30 PM7/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
PRUNE - Dried Plum

SproutCM

Jul 23, 2012, 7:19:04 PM7/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
And now we have a WORD FORK :)

BanjoZebra

Jul 23, 2012, 8:26:04 PM7/23/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
A "Word Fork." Interesting.

Okay, since THEJMAN did post first, let's continue from "Brine." Words so far:

BRICK
PRICK
PRINK
PRINE
BRINE

Bazmerelda

Jul 24, 2012, 6:45:23 AM7/24/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Have you ever tried to make a ladder from BANJO ---> ZEBRA? Not sure it would even be possible.

Anyway, as much as I'd like to engineer this towards BRONY, I think BRINY is probably a bit too close to BRINE. Instead I'll go with BRANE: Multi-dimensional object of M-Theory.

It could probably use a better clue than that but it is the only word I could find which really opened up the ladder.

Toby123

Jul 24, 2012, 8:13:21 AM7/24/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
The upper edge of a steep or vertical slope: BRINK

BanjoZebra

Jul 24, 2012, 9:23:55 AM7/24/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Wait a sec - "Brink" doesn't really word in a word ladder after "Brane." I don't know what happened there. Maybe another word fork.

Okay, continue from BRANE.

Toby123

Jul 24, 2012, 9:43:05 AM7/24/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Oh stupid me! I didnt read Baz. post fully and missed the fact that he had posted, I am sorry! Ok, what about BRAVE?

vikZ

Jul 24, 2012, 5:25:28 PM7/24/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I really want to use BRAVO but it would lead to a dead-end (well almost dead-end. Only options would lead to changing the same letter twice).
With that, I lead to:

CRAVE - Strongly desire

MrChewypoo

Jul 26, 2012, 4:44:19 PM7/26/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

CRAZE - The latest thing

Ubbiebubbie

Aug 25, 2012, 8:15:55 AM8/25/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
The Chevy _____: CRUZE

needapausebutton

Aug 25, 2012, 11:50:29 AM8/25/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Syrian or Lebanese religious community: DRUZE

Cryptus

Aug 25, 2012, 12:49:02 PM8/25/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Is DOUZE (French for 12) cheating?

BanjoZebra

Aug 25, 2012, 3:04:51 PM8/25/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Cryptus - Nope, DOUZE is totally fine.

Ubbiebubbie

Aug 25, 2012, 4:34:22 PM8/25/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
NOT GIVING A WORD FOR THE WORD LADDER-- I got a start for BANJO ----> ZEBRA, but I'm no word ladder-er (just made that one up) so someone more experienced should fill in the middle.

Guitar alternative- BANJO
Burmese self defense style- BANDO
Musician clusters- BANDS
Contorts- BENDS
Futurama robot, gangsta style- BENDA (I'll admit, that one was a stretch)

Stuff to fill in, because I'm not sure what I'd do!

Messing of Ned & Stacey- DEBRA

Ubbiebubbie

Aug 25, 2012, 4:35:10 PM8/25/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
And then 'Dalmatian horse'-  ZEBRA

Sheldon

Aug 25, 2012, 5:47:25 PM8/25/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I would give this quiz 5 globes JUST for the word "Collaboladder"!

Anyway here's mine:

To pour liquid on
DOUSE

stanford0008

Aug 25, 2012, 6:29:36 PM8/25/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I think A great way to finish off the ladder would be to go with HOUSE. (Even gives it a theme!)

Popular television M.D.

needapausebutton

Aug 25, 2012, 6:48:04 PM8/25/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
If that IS the last word, the game's title could be "Word Ladder - Won't Get Blown Down"

BanjoZebra

Aug 25, 2012, 9:15:13 PM8/25/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hmm. Maybe we could end it there, and start another CollaboLadder on a different thread. Who agrees?

Aurora Illumina

Aug 25, 2012, 9:28:37 PM8/25/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
This is nice. Maybe if we want to make a bigger collaboration, it would be easier for more people to chip in if we do a four-letter one. Would that work?

Geo1

Aug 25, 2012, 9:32:04 PM8/25/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I definitely think that we should do a four-letter collaboladder. Especially because these words are a little bit difficult.

BanjoZebra

Aug 25, 2012, 9:51:52 PM8/25/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Yay! This thread turned out to be a huge success. Here's a link to the final quiz:

I will soon post another thread - Sporcle CollaboLadder 2!
(and this time, it'll be four-letter words.)

Matt Selby

Sep 12, 2012, 11:37:26 AM9/12/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

This was published today. This was a great idea, and I'm glad we could get you all some recognition for it.

-Matt