The Shameless Self-Promotion Thread

Sheldon

Sep 26, 2012, 3:26:17 AM9/26/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Ok, so hopefully it won't be as bad as the title sounds, but I just wanted to start a thread where everyone posts a bunch of their own quizzes - let's say 5 - for us to play and rate and give tips and advice and such. There have been a few threads with similar topics but I thought I'd make this one specifically so that people don't shy away from promoting their own quizzes at the risk of seeming like they're spamming or whatever.

Everyone has a few quizzes that they've worked hard on only to have them drop into obscurity with few plays and/or one or two undeserved 1-bombs meaning it'll unlikely reach the user-created lists again. So pick quizzes that you want to get a few more plays and ratings on or ones where you'd like some helpful criticism on... Or pick them for any other reason! It's up to you!

(Also, send me any 'nominee' movie quizzes you have (or that someone else may have created). I'd love to play them! (either post on this thread or send to my email on my Sporcle page))

David William

Sep 26, 2012, 6:50:35 AM9/26/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
OK, I'll be shameless!  I am not surprised that many of my quizzes do not get many plays, some of them are very narrow in scope, and others have been criticized for being too busy (I like comprehensiveness, however).  But there are some that I have purposefully kept less busy and on topics I thought would be of interest.

1.  An Over Under, if the percentage of post graduate degrees in various states is over or under the national average.  I have made a few of these quizzes, and have more ready to go from US Census info.  This has only gotten 17 plays.

2.  Here is one on identifying Quotations and Mottoes.  I have a couple up, and more ready to go for various time periods.  This has only received 19 plays.

3.  Here is one on superlative Geography that I really liked.  Got 3 favs, but I think one of them was from a friend taking it on an alternate account of mine, but only 135 plays.

4.  This is on European Inventors.  68 plays.

5.  I suspect a big problem with this one was the title.  Doesn't really tell anyone anything, but it is about identifying different words meaning nonsense.  88 plays.

Would appreciate any criticism offered.  Thanks.

Cyril

skuban

Sep 26, 2012, 9:11:15 AM9/26/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hey popstcyril. I'll say a few things about your work.

The quotations one: it's too long, and (for me at least) the quotes are from too long ago. The 20 minute timer scares me off, personally.
I don't have time to play the geography one right now, but it looks really fun so I'll be playing that later today.
I think that the other three are just topics that people don't go looking for, in general. I feel that the college one is just 50/50 guessing, and the nonsense words wasn't bad... I just don't think the appropriate audience is there for it. I think it's still a good quiz though, personally!

In short, I think if you narrow down the scope of the quotations question, you should get more plays. :)

I am only going to list two quizzes here. One is a short, fun quiz in which you type words using only one hand: One Handed Speed Typing. I think it's a very fun and enjoyable quiz; it's not really a race or a knowledge test, it's literally just for fun. It never took off, stalling at 35 plays.

My other quiz was one that someone requested I make. It deals with picking countries that have more letters in the last half of the alphabet than the first half: Alphabetically Late Countries. It got really good reviews from the few who played it, but I guess never took off.

Chair

Sep 26, 2012, 11:52:11 AM9/26/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Great idea for a thread, Sheldon! I was thinking about making a similar one, actually, so I'm glad you posted it.
Here's my comments for Cyril and Skuban:

Cyril, I liked the over/under quiz, I disagree that it was 50/50 guessing. It made me think about whether a state was rural or urban and, if it was urban, how much manufacturing it did (that was how I made my guesses).

I agree with Skuban that the quotations one was a bit long and intimidating. I also thought that the geography one was rather long and had some repetitive questions (for example, when playing I thought to myself, "Do we really need 3 categories in a row about mountains/rivers/lakes?"). Maybe remove some questions or break it up into 2 quizzes.

I was pleasantly surprised by the European Inventors quiz. I didn't think I knew any, so I was surprised by how well I did. Maybe make harder clues for Geiger and Diesel, and I don't think you should have Daimler twice. But that one definitely deserves more plays!

Nonsense words was fun but a little long.

Skuban: I use the Dvorak keyboard layout, so I couldn't get the full effect of the one-handed typing game. :) I'm also not a fan of country quizzes based on letters in general - I always do really badly and just end up guessing any country I can think of. That quiz seemed like a creative take on that genre, but it's just not the genre for me.

Here are some of my quizzes that didn't get very many plays:
1. Which is Larger (Math) - pick the column that has the greater number. I made some improvements to this quiz since it was first released, so I'd like it to get a second wind.
2. Poetic Meter Matching (Clickable) - this was originally not clickable, and it hasn't gotten many (any?) plays since I converted it.
3. Unopposites - one of my first quizzes, about words that seem like should have opposites, but don't. (For example, you can "debunk" a rumor but you can't "bunk" one).
4. Literary Popularity Contest - Guess which book has more facebook likes, inspired by the quizzes about guessing who has more Twitter followers.
5. How Many Letters - Minefield Blitz - simply count the number of letters in each word...without making any mistakes

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Norwegian_dude

Sep 26, 2012, 12:49:41 PM9/26/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
My favorite quiz from those already posted on this thread is skuban's Alphabetically Late Countries. I also like that one handed one.

For popestcyril, I agree with other ones here that the quotation one is too long. Over/under was good, a bit guessing, but as long as it's not a minefield that's ok with me. European Inventors is in my opinion a quite elementary quiz (like: Why wasn't this made a long time ago?), so yes, that one deserve more plays. But I'm more of a geography guy and your quiz is alright, but maybe too general. Probably just my experience, but I'm a little bored with general  geography questions like that. That said, it's not a bad quiz.

Chair: I didn't quite understand your number two. I guess the hard words scared me off. But all of the other ones there are really great. How many letters is so simple and brilliant!

I have some quizzes as well that didn't get as many plays as I would think:
2. Mississippi River as a Subway (44 plays, My first image quiz. Maybe too hard? Could a similar quiz work for the world or with european highways? If so, I have the right maps ready...)
3. Most populated cities per US state (139 plays, Kind of a classic. I've seen similar games, but not really the same.)
4. World Cities by Letter (115 plays)

Feedback highly appreciated. Also, stay tuned for my next headline quiz. Sport headlines from last 20 years. I only miss 2005. Any ideas?

needapausebutton

Sep 26, 2012, 2:26:52 PM9/26/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
@Chair - I have some ideas for you regarding "Unopposites", but I'd rather not tie up this thread -- you can e-mail me (from the address on my Sporcle profile page) if you want. I'm pretty sure it would result in a CP in "Word Play" ;)

- napb

Ubbiebubbie

Sep 26, 2012, 5:45:05 PM9/26/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi, guys! This looks fun.
popestcyril, I thought the degree one was really interesting and should definitely deserve more plays. The quotations was intimidating (again) and impossible (for me, maybe not other people, though).
Norwegian dude, your Mississippi river subway was really cool. Needs WAY more plays.

Now for my shameless self-advertisement.
Didd Eye Spel Itt Rite - Choose the correctly spelled word out of two possibilities, I thought it was fun.
Mini Minefields: The Transcategorial Journey - I was pretty proud of this one, but it sits there with 15 plays.
Condensed StatesCondensed Country Capitals, and Condensed Countries - All have the same unique idea about Sporcle's loved countries, states and capitals.

BanjoZebra

Sep 26, 2012, 6:12:49 PM9/26/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I think this is a great idea for a thread. But with all these quizzes posted by several users, I doubt any of them will truly get "promoted" here.

Alright, I'll give it a try:
Rapid-Fire Capitals - Name the capitals. Really fast.
Crazy Eights - Name the eightsomes. Really fast.
One-Word James Bond Films - Uh... the title's pretty straightforward here.
Dude (Looks Like a Lady) - Images - Famous guys, with long hair. Try it.
Instrument Silhouettes - An image quiz of silhouettes (of instruments).

David William

Sep 26, 2012, 9:53:18 PM9/26/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Skuban

Thanks for the comments.  I don't think I will change the quotation ones I have made (I have two ready to go, I figured one each of the next two months.  But I will definitely reduce the number of quotations for subsequent ones.  I did cut down the time on both of the quotation quizzes I have up.  I was thinking I hate it when I run out of time and am still thinking, but I do see your point.  I do have several over/under quizzes with census data, and while I appreciate your comment, I (as Chair said as well) really didn't see it and the others as pure guessing...maybe the Male Majority one, but in retrospect there is a common connection between the few states that are mostly male.  And yes, I am going to start from here on out to have an eye to timer issues.  Thanks again.

I like typing speed quizzes, and I think the one handed thing was an interesting twist.  Though it might be have been interesting to have 2 separate quizzes, so that one could more easily compare typing with left and right hands.  The Alphabetically Late Countries I had actually already played (and favorited).  I like taking geography quizzes, but every once in a while there is one that is REALLY enjoyable.  I loved it.  Tried as hard as I could to find some way I could justifying giving it a CP for population, but just couldn't find a rationale to do that. Definitely deserves more plays.

Chair

Thank you too for your comments.  Won't repeat what I said above.  I combined the Daimler clues, and changed the hint of the Geiger Counter and Diesel Engine.  Thank you.

I liked the math quiz...just the right amount of time.  I am good at math ( a math teacher ) yet  I had to guess the last 3 or 4 (I am a bit slow calculating in my head).  I don't know my poetic meters, but it looks like a great quiz for someone who does.  I suspect the main reason for the lack of plays is the topic.  On the Unopposites, I loved it, but would be embarrassed to repeat my score!  I ended up giving up.  Suspect many stopped playing it, but I loved seeing all the words I should have gotten!  Popular Book was awesome, and I can't for the life of me figure out why it has so few plays.  Just finding out about BenF's book vs AH's book was the most fascinating thing I learned this week!  And while I don't like minegames, and probably wouldn't have played this one for that reason alone, except for this thread, I did enjoy it and can see the value of minefield used this way.

Norwegian_dude

Thanks as well.  I won't repeat what I said about the Quotations, but you are correct.  Thanks for you kind words about European Inventors, and also for your comments on Superlative Geography.

Loved multiplication times quiz.  Loved the idea of Transit, but I suspect it was too hard for at least for me, I am not much of a cities guy yet (then again, until a year ago I didn't know many countries).  I got a couple trying to think of cities either in the given state or that I knew were on the Mississippi.  I really liked that on the most popular cities you had a sixth category for the next five highest.  Don't really feel qualified to speak on World City quizzes, I don't know many.  Maybe next summer I'll play your game enough times to learn more!

Unibubbie

Thanks for the compliment on a quiz I didn't include, the degrees quiz, and for the other critiques as well.

Didd Eye Spel Itt Rite was a fun idea...simple and fun.  Loved it.  I'm just not one for minefields.

BanjoZebra

I suspect you are right...maybe altering this by having people put up 1 quiz a month might be better.  But just a suggestion.

No much for Bond and Celebrities, but I liked the Instrument quiz, except for the time...having to scroll up and down to enter the answers (on a full screen), made it a bit annoying when I ran out of time.  Loved Crazy Eights.

Cyril

Socc13r37

Sep 27, 2012, 12:05:57 AM9/27/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Here are two of mine that I have created, yet felt as if the key demographic was too low;
1. http://www.sporcle.com/games/Socc13r37/yes_i_did_just_say_3_minutes - 3 Minute Warning Victims. This is a list of WWE personnel who were attacked (NB: Attacked meaning that the incident happened not whilst a match was taking place) by the short-lived stable 3 Minute Warning. This was my very first quiz and got 18 plays, not exactly a cellar-dweller of Sports quizzes, yet is quite down there.
2. http://www.sporcle.com/games/Socc13r37/aussie-rules-not-arena-football - AFL Clubs, Nicknames, Stadia and Coaches. Based off of http://www.sporcle.com/games/gopaladins/epl-grab-bag this quiz was intended for the few and far between of Sporclers that are followers of the sport. If my previous quiz was a cellar-dweller, this one sunk to the bottom of the Mariana Trench, with only 4 plays.
Now, a few critiques to myself; The way I lay out quizzes is horrible. It's a mess and need suggestions for it. I tend to favour a red-blue combo. My intentions in terms of people who would want to play this are very low. However, some pros of mine are that I know a lot about the topics I talk about, I have quite a good sense of humour in my URLs, and my time is suitable (See Quiz 1). Again, this is quite a bias opinion, so feel free to criticize and/or compliment me on my work. I do have a few gaming ones coming up, so expect those shortly.

Sheldon

Sep 27, 2012, 1:10:24 AM9/27/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I guess what we could do with this is make it weekly or monthly and have whoever wants to post, post their games for feedback or whatever, then at the beginning or end of the time period, I post a thread containing a list of all the games after everyone has had a chance to tinker with them and get them to the best they can be. Does that make sense?

Anywho, I'll be back later to play everyone else's games but for now, here are my thoughts for the first few posters.

popestcyril:
1. Over/Under
I think the main reason I would pass over this quiz in a list is the title. It isn't really clear what the title means until you actually open the game. Very good game though; definitely not just a 50/50 guess and I found it quite interesting as a non-American. (Also interesting that, the first time I played it, I thought about my answers and got 33; the second time I just entered Under for everything and got 34!)

2. Quotations, Slogans, Mottoes: 1776 to 1814
Have to agree with everyone else on this. It is quite terrifying. Of course, it is not an area that I know anything about as a New Zealander (I took US History in school but that was years ago!). You could split it into two quizzes if you wanted to appeal to a wider audience but I don't think it is that type of quiz anyway; it's for a specific (albeit small) group who may enjoy as is.

3. Miscellaneous Superlative Geography
I found this pretty interesting but there were a few questions that I didn't particularly like. Personally, I think the longest and widest highway questions, and the monument question should be removed as they're too US-centric (to me anyway). I also think the pyramid question is a bit unnecessary (aren't there only like four pyramids in total?). I'd also suggest combining the questions about the oldest and deepest lake, since it's the same answer.

4. European Inventors
My initial reaction was that it was a subject only a small group would be interested in and one that you had to know something about; this could be the reason for the few plays. However, once I started playing, I really enjoyed this. I got about 6 or 7, but it was actually really interesting and the clues were really good (almost missed the ones where the inventions share the same name as the inventor because of them)

5. Nonsense Words
Although it's a cool idea, and funny reading all those words, it just felt too hard to be entirely playable. The six that I did get were because the clues were a little easier, which I think is a good thing considering the number of answers. Of course, that could just be me not being smart enough to actually get any more correct, so probably best to wait for others' opinions, haha!

Skuban:
1. One Handed Speed Typing
Quite a nice idea but some evil word choices! Haha. What would the game be like without the forced answer feature? I felt like it would've been nice to be able to switch back and forth, but maybe the whole point is to not do that.

2. Alphabetically Late Countries
Agree with Chair there, It's an original concept, but it's impossible to work any country out by the rules with the time given so it just becomes an educated guess of countries. That's coming from someone who doesn't particularly like those types of quizzes though; Most of the geography fans do.

Chair:
1. Which is Larger? (Math)
Impressive! Had no idea (and still don't actually) what '|' means in maths terms, and there were definitely some  I didn't even attempt to work out, haha. Great game. It might be good to use some alt characters though for the symbols. This site here has the basics: http://usefulshortcuts.com/alt-codes/maths-alt-codes.php

2. Poetic Meter Matching (Clickable)
I gotta say poetry is a foreign language to me. Not much more I can say on this one.

3. Unopposites
Pretty gusting quiz. Very hard though.

4. Literary Popularity Contest
Another nice one. I usually don't like this or that quizzes but this one and the maths one were really interesting.

5. How Many Letters - Minefield Blitz
Personally, I really dislike minefield quizzes of any type, even though this idea does use it more appropriately than most. I still think that it would be better with bonus answers being wrong answers only and reducing the time.

Norwegian Dude:
1. Multiplication Table 1-10 Blitz
Finally, maths that I can do! Hahah, very fun, didn't think I was going to make it near the end. No idea how you got 46 seconds though!

2. Mississippi River as a Subway System
As a New Zealander (a country with no subway system at all), this quiz obviously isn't for me so I can't say much about it except that if you get 0 answers right it doesn't register as a play. I never knew that before.

3. Most Populated Cities per US State
Epic quiz. I like how you have 6-10 as the last slot; it gives extra information while removing any confusion over who should be 5th and 6th in certain cases.

4. World Cities by Letter
Another decent game, but one which I'm never going to do well in. I'm good with the countries but get totally lost on cities. Agree with RobPro's comment though about the single character acceptance.

skuban

Sep 27, 2012, 2:10:35 PM9/27/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, the whole point of the One-Handed Speed-Typing quiz is to keep going with one hand. Otherwise it just feels like normal typing (I tried it both ways before settling on forced answers).

And I have what may be the first success story of this thread: My Alphabetically Late Countries just received an EP from RobPro!

david6k

Sep 27, 2012, 3:20:05 PM9/27/12
On Wednesday, September 26, 2012 10:52:11 AM UTC-5, Chair wrote:

5. How Many Letters - Minefield Blitz - simply count the number of letters in each word...without making any mistakes

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Hey, this is a brilliant idea. But I have a suggestion -- force people to answer the previous word before they see the next one, or make it a clickable quiz. Either way, people won't see all the words before they start. I think that would make it more challenging, and, oddly, more fun. Should probably increase time if you do this.

I sort of like the clickable idea - just stick a bunch of buttons with numbers down at the bottom. You can choose if you want to be really evil by putting in more answers than there are questions, or you could have it so that as you get closer to the end you start to run out of possibilities. (You could also be cute and put in some impossible ones like pi and "a gajillion").

Once I've had a chance to comment on some other quizzes on this thread I'll post some of my own.

David

Daniel Hodgson

Sep 27, 2012, 5:02:50 PM9/27/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Why not!
http://www.sporcle.com/games/teddy109768/closest-countries-alphabetically
Please let me know if my link doesn't work

Sheldon

Sep 28, 2012, 4:31:41 AM9/28/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Ok, Part 2

Ubbiebubbie:
1. Didd Eye Spel Itt Rite?
Pleasantly surprising! Really fun. The only thing I'd suggest changing is the colour of the answer font, maybe to a green, so differentiate between right and wrong a little easier, but no big deal, still good.

2. Mini Minefields
Honestly, I didn't play this one. I don't like minefields at all and there were several rolled into one quiz! Also, for me, I don't know most of the categories so the minefield kinf of puts me off for that reason too... but hey, that's just me. It's a well constructed game that definitely deserves more attention than it has.

3. Condensed.. Everything
Good idea and really hard! Did you come up with those yourself? Nothing else to say really, except that my aggregate for all three games was still less than 10. Hahah, I need to practice more.

BanjoZebra:
1. Rapid Fire Capitals
This is probably due to my poor knowledge of capital cities, but I found this to be too hard to be a forced answer quiz. Of course, I assume I'm not the target audience so don't listen to me, haha.

2. Crazy Eights
I liked this one. Though it made me sad with the exclusion of Pluto.. poor Pluto... I don't care what they say, It'll always be a planet to me!

3-5
These are all great. I particularly enjoyed the music one!

Socc13r37
1. 3 Minute Warning Victims
I think the main issue is there is no way to tell what it's about or what to answer unless you know the subject. You could probably put in the description you gave above into the game note and, if possible, put some hints in for the answers?

2. AFL Clubs, Nicknames, Stadia and Coaches Quiz
Even though I'm from New Zealand, and know what AFL is, I wasn't sure whether you were actually referring to that or an American league for a different sport, so maybe in the title use the full title (I noticed the URL after you mentioned it, but I don't usually look at them. As for the quiz itself, I'd suggest making the first column the city or town that the club is based in, and the second column the club name (with the nickname being acceptable by itself too). Also, the font colour could be changed to white (or any other light colour). Other than that, it's good, though, as you say, there are very few Sporclers interested in the subject so there won't be many plays.

teddy109768:
1. Closest Country Alphabetically to Kyrgyzstan
This was really good! after visiting the source, it looks like there was a lot of work involved too. Only thing I'd suggest to change would be the colour scheme to try get away from the default greys. (Also, pick New Zealand for the sequel!)

Socc13r37

Sep 28, 2012, 4:43:07 AM9/28/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
1. Point made, will source and make description.
2. Alright, will change title and layout, yet one quirk I have with your feedback; How can I change the first column to the city and/or town the club is based in? I know how to do it, but the problem with it would be really where I would base it from; The administrative building? The training ground? The stadium? The main group of fans? Just clarify that and I'll make the changes.

Sheldon

Sep 28, 2012, 4:52:49 AM9/28/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Oh, and I'm gonna be shameless myself and post a few of my forgotten games:

1. Blockbusters of May - I actually removed this game shortly after releasing it but decided to restore it and make it a bit more playable.
2. Fuzzy Bunny's Guide to You-Know-What - I assume the difficulty would put people off this, but it makes me laugh every time I see it, so hopefully it can do the same to others.
3. The Mirror - Not entirely sure what to make of this one... And I still have no idea what other people think of it.
4. Every Computer Animated Feature Film - To be honest, I was quite disappointed with the play count of this one, so I'm posting it here, in the hope of getting one or two more plays!
5. Scattergories: List 1 - R|S|T|U - Another disappointment for me. This is a sequel to a series I started over two years ago, but never got around to finishing. I guess nowadays there are a lot more quizzes like these ones, and now "Scattergories" has a different format on Sporcle, despite my original Scattergories game coming out before SproutCM's.

Also, @Socc13r37:
Sorry, I kind of just skimmed over the places for the AFL. I just had a look at the teams on Wikipedia and most are from the main cities of Australia, so I guess my previous suggestion wouldn't work. I also assumed clubs were known by region then nickname (eg. Wellington Phoenix, soccer team from Wellington, nickname "Phoenix"). Obviously I don't know much about it, haha, so go with what you have now.

david6k

Sep 28, 2012, 1:18:17 PM9/28/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
@BanjoZebra:

Rapid-Fire Capitals -
Sorry, didn't do it for me. It's just a capitals quiz. The addition of the time factor didn't make it unique enough.

Dude (Looks Like a Lady) -
This is just fine, but there's nothing particularly special about it. Maybe pull in a few people from other fields of endeavor, so it isn't mostly actors and rock musicians? Ben Franklin is a good idea in that direction. Maybe Louis XIV, Beethoven? Current celebrities that aren't actors or musicians could include Fabio, Howard Stern, David Beckham. John Kerry from his Vietnam protest days could be sneaky. Oh, and while he's another musician, it seems like you really should have Bowie in his Ziggy Stardust phase.

Instrument Silhouettes -
Got mixed up because if you skip one, it's easy to lose track of the fact you have to click on the next item (or click next) to answer for it. Especially since you are primarily looking at the picture above and trying to rush. After failing to spell maracas, I was mystified for about ten seconds when it would not take saxophone (because I hadn't moved on to the next answer). This is one that would be much improved with a separate picture for each item that would display next to the answer block.

David

david6k

Sep 28, 2012, 1:52:10 PM9/28/12

Interesting data, but I think it would be better served by a quiz along the lines of "can you name the top 15 states that . . ." Like this: http://www.sporcle.com/games/rcamps/beer_by_state

2.  Here is one on identifying Quotations and Mottoes.  I have a couple up, and more ready to go for various time periods.  This has only received 19 plays.

I liked this quite a lot. Ditch the ALL CAPS, though, and I would also suggest some serious pruning. Cut it down to about 20 total, tossing the most obscure ones (unless there is a good hint in the question, like the sun and moon one). Remember, for people not closely familiar with American History, ALL of this is obscure.

3.  Here is one on superlative Geography that I really liked.  Got 3 favs, but I think one of them was from a friend taking it on an alternate account of mine, but only 135 plays.
http://www.sporcle.com/games/popestcyril/miscellaneous-superlative-geography

Again, I'd suggest a lot of pruning here, but I think the real problem is that there is nothing that sets this apart, really. It's just a bunch of facts that most people don't know. Actually, there aren't really a lot of quizzes like that which get published.

David

titanjmg

Sep 28, 2012, 2:55:30 PM9/28/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Daniel Hodgson

Sep 28, 2012, 5:45:29 PM9/28/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Sheldon: Thanks it takes about an hour to make one, I really liked this quiz and wanted it to take off but it never did.  And thanks I'll make a third sequel with New Zealand!

Daniel Hodgson

Sep 29, 2012, 1:24:01 PM9/29/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Well I realized that I was allowed to post up to five quizzes on this thread so here comes 2-5

Please Review, My last one is just supposed to make fun not be serious.

david6k

Sep 29, 2012, 10:56:22 PM9/29/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Really, really liked this one. Good idea, some unexpected answers, and makes you think about what you already know in a new way.
David

david6k

Sep 29, 2012, 11:04:30 PM9/29/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
OK, here are a few from me:
For literature fans: http://www.sporcle.com/games/david6k/literatary-contemporaries-1850-1950  (really annoying you can't change the URL if you've made a typo!)
For movie fans: http://www.sporcle.com/games/david6k/astaire-rogers-films
For the politically-minded: http://www.sporcle.com/games/david6k/statewide-elected-officials

All comments, criticisms, and suggestions welcomed.
David

Erik Siersdale

Apr 11, 2013, 3:31:54 PM4/11/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Built my first quiz that tries to look like something (an American flag). Also trying to reach a broader audience than my Muppet ones do.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/Eskimoed/but_what_about_my_copay

Let me know here if there are any errors or things I should include to make it more publishable.

-Erik

druhutch

Apr 12, 2013, 12:07:08 AM4/12/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

I strongly encourage people to keep posting your "why did no one play this?" quizzes here. I've found several potential EPs that I missed the first time around, and I've no doubt that other editors and curators have already done the same. (I also noticed that several of your "overlooked" quizzes have since been published, so no doubt the admins have their antennae up as well.) This is, after all, the "Shameless" place to promote yourself.

Rom

Apr 12, 2013, 1:01:09 AM4/12/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Some of my favorites that I've made...

1. Consecutive Letter Abbreviations - 183 plays; there are probably too many possibilities for this to be perfect, but overall it got pretty good reviews
2. Name the Eponyms - 453 plays
3. NBA Players with over 1000 Games Played - 101 plays; the main problem with this quiz in my opinion is that the number of games played changes too often.
4. Who is Taller (NBA) - 21,035 plays, but for some reason it's been getting terrible ratings, even after I improved it
5. Geography Bee Winning Questions - 1,366 plays

Spacemaniac

Apr 12, 2013, 3:07:01 AM4/12/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
1. Dr. Seuss Writing as LeSeig http://www.sporcle.com/games/Spacemaniac/dr-seuss-writing-as-leseig - Dr. Seuss books that he wrote as Theo LeSeig. Currently stuck at 3 plays.
2. Spaceballs: I Am Your… http://www.sporcle.com/games/Spacemaniac/and_what_does_that_make_us
3. Athlete Siblings http://www.sporcle.com/games/Spacemaniac/athlete-siblings -My first quiz, and I improved it later on.

RockGolf

Apr 12, 2013, 7:39:24 AM4/12/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Erik:

I love the idea of making a quiz look like the flag. My advise would be to find a quiz with 13 answers, and alternate the background color of the answers between red & white. (Keep the odd # rows as the are. In the even # rows, put "white/red" in the third column and check the box on the Options tab that uses the third column for color background/foreground.

NYYanks

Apr 12, 2013, 9:54:54 AM4/12/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Here's two that are similar but different. You have to name that largest cities or towns in a certain radius of a larger city:
US Neighboring Cities Circle Challenge (5 towns in 50 mile radius)
US Populated Neighboring Cities (3 towns in 25 mile radius)

Another US Geography one. Name the city closer to the given city:

Here's a sports one. Name the NBA players that have taken 17+ shots per game and have shot less that 43% in a season since 2000:

That's it. It's raining today, hopefully the sun is shining on all of you guys! :)

goseaward

Apr 12, 2013, 11:24:39 AM4/12/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, okay:

1. I could definitely use help on this: When Was It More Popular?  Asking when certain phrases became more popular than others, based on the Google Ngrams viewer using the corpus of all the English books they've processed.  I could never figure out how to make it into a good quiz, though--right now it just asks for the year one phrase became more popular than another.  (I'm surprised more people don't use this data set for quizzes--it's really fun!  http://books.google.com/ngrams Shows you how popular words or phrases were over time, relative to all the words or phrases that they've processed.)

2. Folk Songs: Known Author or Not II which I think just has too small an audience.

3. Ditto The Good Wife Guest Stars by Image although I think most people would recognize most of the actors if they tried it, whether or not they'd watched the show.  (Just about every week I go, "Oh hey, it's that actor!")

4. If anyone has tips on making Research Animals more playable, I'd take them--that was a ton of work to find the data for.  (Had to go throughhundreds of mostly-handwritten reports made to the FDA...)

5.  Element Trivia by Numbers - an okay-ish number of plays for a science quiz, but I'm not sure how the balance worked out with name-based questions vs physical properties-based questions.

Neil Birenbaum

Apr 12, 2013, 11:27:19 AM4/12/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Dang! I played #5 when I was out of town and forgot about i when I got back! CP tomorrow, goseaward. One of the great things about the elements is that you can make trivia about the names or the properties (and the countries of the world too, don't you think? I'm looking at you, Headers).

Cryptus

Apr 12, 2013, 11:45:46 AM4/12/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Alright.

1. What Comes Next: Roman Numerals. I spent quite a bit of time on this trying to come up with varying sequences and series, and was thus hoping for a decent return on it. However, there were quite a few mistakes in it (which were quickly corrected), and I wonder if that had an impact on the amount of plays it got, which is currently 14.

2. Higher or Lower: Atomic Number was a quiz that took inspiration from Hejman's Over/Under series. I had high hopes for this, but it currently sits at just 20 plays. There is another quiz in the same vein (Higher or Lower: Box Office Gross), which also only got 50 plays.

3. Songs by Weird Al polka adaptation is at least in triple figure plays (175), but I got the feeling that it could have done so much better somehow.

skuban

Apr 12, 2013, 12:54:08 PM4/12/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Since this is being revived, I will post a quiz that still hasn't gotten amazing attention: http://www.sporcle.com/games/skuban/the-visibility-test/results
How Well Can You See? I thought it was a good quiz. I feel like it polarizes opinion, though.

Headers2304

Apr 12, 2013, 1:09:28 PM4/12/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, mrsiriustab! :)

This quiz was contributed a few weeks ago, but I think that this is possibly my most inventive game that I have made, a combination of the most common features of all country names, which have led to sequels involving states, capitals, and per continent.

Here you go: 'Create your own Country'

http://www.sporcle.com/games/Headers2304/make-a-country-name

NYYanks

Apr 12, 2013, 1:14:31 PM4/12/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
@skuban - That's a good one. (And my apologies for those comments. That was when I didn't take Sporcle as seriously)

skuban

Apr 12, 2013, 1:20:26 PM4/12/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Haha don't worry NYYanks, all is forgiven.

Caramba

Apr 12, 2013, 1:45:35 PM4/12/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I can actually understand why my least-played quizzes are not played that much - obscure topics, narrow focus, not ...ahem.. very good. But here's a few.

...and a lot more where those came from...

Dave

JoeBeta

Apr 12, 2013, 2:56:17 PM4/12/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
@Cryptus -  I've had a devil of a time finding decent audio quizzes that haven't already been picked or published. I've CP'ed your Weird Al quiz so that it can have its chance to shine.

Cryptus

Apr 12, 2013, 3:18:04 PM4/12/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
@JoeBeta Thanks!

stanford0008

Apr 12, 2013, 4:43:05 PM4/12/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Minimalist South Park (In Color!) is probably my favorite quiz that I have made. It's predecessor was EP'd, and I think this one is quite a bit better. it has already received a CP though.

Also, one of my word ladders that I thought was pretty well done would be: Heisman Trophy Word Ladder, although it is admittedly a bit biased.

naqwerty3

Apr 12, 2013, 8:05:31 PM4/12/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I have had many quizzes that I feel haven't earned the plays/rating they deserved, but that's my opinion.

1. This is one of my best geography quizzes. It is rather time consuming, and I would prefer to hear ways to improve it. It is called State or Country: Which Is Larger? I find the quiz to also produce interesting results. When doing research, I was rather surprised which US states were larger than countries and vice versa.

2. Tasty Elements was also one of my more creative quizzes. You type the 'chemical makeup' of the food given, but its difficult and time duration can attribute to the low amount of plays.

3. I'm no expert in the Language category, but I wish Click the -ATION should have been one of the more played clickable vocabulary quizzes. With so many words ending in -ation, I may even make a sequel.

4. Popes vs. Nopes (Clickable) is one of those fun, clickable quizzes with the 'real or fake' theme, but this quiz will not receive much attention because another user released a very similar quiz after me, and received more recognition.

5. Sporcle-less Typing Challenge is my only typing challenge that I've made, and is a little challenging. I really was wishing this one could receive higher ratings.

For those of you who have previously posted, I have found a myriad of good quizzes. I hope they receive the recognition that you wish!

-naqwerty3

iglew

Apr 12, 2013, 11:51:28 PM4/12/13
On Friday, April 12, 2013 5:05:31 PM UTC-7, naqwerty3 wrote:

4. Popes vs. Nopes (Clickable) is one of those fun, clickable quizzes with the 'real or fake' theme, but this quiz will not receive much attention because another user released a very similar quiz after me, and received more recognition.

I honestly can't tell if you're referring to my quiz.  I did make one very similar to yours, and mine is later, but it has not received more recognition.  Mine is 200 plays with 1 comment, and yours is 199  plays with 0 comments -- almost identical -- and neither has been picked for anything.  Is there a third quiz that got more recognition than either of us?

I'm sure I searched for similar quizzes when I released mine, because I remember finding slipkid's <a href="http://www.sporcle.com/games/slipkid/pope-or-nope">Pope or Nope</a> quiz (which I linked to from mine).  For whatever reason yours didn't turn up in my search.  I'm sorry if I stepped on your toes.

naqwerty3

Apr 13, 2013, 12:04:58 AM4/13/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Iglew, I am not at all referring to you. Your quiz, in fact, is one of my favorite quizzes on Sporcle and it was published way before mine. Mine is a clickable one where it has fake decoy pope names with real ones. Yours had a creative title and was executed perfectly.

aquascape

Apr 13, 2013, 4:59:20 AM4/13/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hello there! You fellows seem like a nice bunch so I'm going to post my movie-oriented quizzes here (their all under 200 plays).

1. Movie weapons series: It's an ongoing series that I'm making, so far I've got Lock 'n Load - Shotguns in Movies  and Barrel Roll - Miniguns in Movies. In my drafts section there are more waiting to be launched.
2. Phones in movies: I've got more planned for this potential series, so far I've made 'Hello?' - Telephones in Movies.
3. Continued zalkon2004's amazing 'Needs a job' series, which actually inspired me to start making quizzes: Eddie Murphy Needs a Job and several more.
4. A directorial debut match up: Match Up: Director Debuts. A few more of these await in drafts.
5. A actor-character match: Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise.

Basically I like to make quizzes with a certain continuity.

Ellix

Apr 13, 2013, 5:16:51 AM4/13/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Oh man, I gotta check out some of the quizzes in this thread tomorrow. About to sleep, so for now, some shameless stuff here:

1) Accidental Inventions and Discoveries: It was really fun making this quiz. I personally really like stories about accidental discoveries, but it's still under 300 plays for the 3 years it's been up. I'm wondering if part of the problem was because I had flip-flopped on the category for the quiz when publishing? I first had it under History, but I looked up some of the quizzes on inventions/inventors and they were under Miscellany so I changed it. Another possibility is the Science category, although some of the answers are not science-y. If I could ask you guys for help, which category would you sort this quiz into?

2) Cities by Metro System Logos [image quiz]: Maybe some of you geography buffs would like this quiz? It seems to be a more difficult quiz though based on the results.

3) Medication Dosage Forms [image quiz]: My most recent quiz, got up to 160 plays but quickly petered out.

4) Foreign Pokémon Names: A bit of a novel idea I hope. It helps to have a mix of knowledge in language/etymology/culture/Pokémon to guess the correct Pokémon! I also explain the etymology of each answer. Too bad the quiz won't show up when searching for it without the é symbol.  540 plays 1 fav since 2009.

5) @goseaward: Wow I didn't expect anyone else to have a quiz on animals in research too! I like that you show detailed answers while accepting the basic answers. My Animals Used in Scientific Research quiz is based on Canadian data from CCAC instead of US data. Although CCAC updates the surveys each year, the answers (animals) usually remain the same, simply the numbers/order changes. I do specify the year in the quiz description too.

If you played any of them I'd love to hear it if you had any comments for improvements.

Sam McLaughlin

Apr 13, 2013, 5:56:52 AM4/13/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hey!

Okay, so here is my self promotion - not very experienced with creating quizzes so it would be great to hear what people think of this

http://www.sporcle.com/games/sam0194/marvel-identities - a quiz where you have to correctly answer the humas alias behind the Marvel character

kcostell

Apr 13, 2013, 3:54:08 PM4/13/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

I won't post a full five, only a couple:

Nobel Winner from Citation got hit with ye olde "person submitting a month's worth of quizzes right afterwards", with the net result of 25 plays in two and a half years.

I'm also fond of Creature Feature (Myth/Religion), which may have suffered from difficulty/overly long clues issues.

needapausebutton

Apr 13, 2013, 6:06:25 PM4/13/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
This is a response to TWO posters above:  Ellix and kcostell.

I've left both of you comments in your quizzes.  Ironically both of your quizzes fall into the realms of brand new Sporcle subcategories in the History category,  which did not exist at the time you made your quizzes:

Ellix's quiz Accidental Inventions and Discoveries fits the new Discovery subcategory, which is quite expansive, and includes "invention" and "innovation".

kcostell's quiz Nobel Winner from Citation fits the new Biography subcategory which ranges from blurbs to detailed descriptions which point to groups or individuals.

I've recommended each of you switch your quizzes to the History category, and I will be making sure that both curators for those subcategories take a look at these quizzes.  I also consulted with the Miscellaneous category editor, Hejman, and he concurs with this.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me per my e-mail address on my Sporcle profile page.

-  needapausebutton (Sporcle History editor)

(aka "napb" for short on both sites)

mrsiriustab

Apr 13, 2013, 7:28:19 PM4/13/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'll just put in one for now. I kinda like this one. It seems like the only good contributed quiz I made a while ago that hasn't gotten attention. It has gotten a decent amount of plays per week, from where I don't know since I released a long time ago, but I think it's pretty good.

iglew

Apr 13, 2013, 7:37:22 PM4/13/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
naqwerty3, I think you are mistaking my quiz with slipkid's. Slipkid came before either of us and is classic format.  I think that's the one you're referring to in your comment.  Mine definitely came after yours and like yours it's clickable. It's very similar to yours except that I turned it around and ask players to click the fakes whereas you ask them to click the reals.

quite_convincing

Apr 15, 2013, 1:10:12 PM4/15/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Any James Bond fans out there?  If so please try my first quiz: James Bond Grid.  I may have been a little ambitious so please comment if it doesn't work!

Btw loved the accidental inventions quiz!

Josh C.

purplep...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2013, 11:18:33 PM4/16/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I suppose I'll put some quizzes on here. All feedback is gladly welcome and very much appreciated!

Chain of compound words (like the game show "Chain Reaction"):   https://www.sporcle.com/games/Purple_Parrot/compound-word-ladder-poem
Alternating between anagrams and word ladders:   https://www.sporcle.com/games/Purple_Parrot/word-ladder-anagram-hybrid
Increasing numbers, similar to needapausebutton's "Smallest to Largest" quiz:   https://www.sporcle.com/games/Purple_Parrot/easy_as_1-2-3

quite_convincing

Apr 18, 2013, 10:13:13 AM4/18/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Two quotation-themed quizzes (and I believe the first Mrs. Beeton themed quiz!):

JoeBeta

Apr 18, 2013, 10:30:42 AM4/18/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
You should crosslink the quizzes to each other. In the Game Info section for each quiz paste in the other quiz's URL where it says - "Cross Link URL (optional):", and be sure to click that big button that says "SAVE CHANGES". I loved the Wilde quiz although I did poorly. I haven't played the other as yet.

purplep...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2013, 3:26:59 PM4/18/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! It was fun to put together, and hopefully others will find it equally fun to play!

lkc...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2013, 11:05:13 PM4/18/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Chess Logic Minefield!

Something of mine that I like very much, especially since it was original :D Something that combines a chessboard (6 by 6 though) and a logic minefield quiz. Basically, you're supposed to find out where all the chess pieces (1 each of King, Queen, Rook, Bishop and Knight and 3 Pawns) are on the 6x6 chessboard using the clues revealed. I got a few friends to beta test, but that's about all the plays I've got. Thanks! :D

NC_Watson

Apr 23, 2013, 4:30:14 PM4/23/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Here are some This or That quizzes I made recently. They have good ratings so far, but the play count just hasn't gotten off the ground:

Spider-Man or Spider, man? - Is it a Spider-Man villain or an actual type of spider?

Any advice is appreciated!

Joel Barini

Apr 24, 2013, 2:51:56 PM4/24/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Here are some quizzes I made some time ago, but I practically forgot about them after they had too little plays:

This one is a simple quizz with pictures of world parliament buildings where you have to name the capital cities where they are located.

This is a quizz I was surpised to see that didn't had any previous versions on Sporcle. You have to name the states of Brazil by their flags.

This quizz was inspired by the one above, and more complex. Since Brazil is the only country whose states are represented by specific stars on the national flag, I thought it would be interesting to hava a quizz where you have to identify which state is represented by each star.

I would apreciate any comments on those. Thanks.

Josh C.

Apr 29, 2013, 11:35:02 AM4/29/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Here is my "Troubling Trifectas" quiz.  2 years ago, I was sitting on a chairlift at my local ski hill with some guy.  He said, "Everything comes in threes."  I had been trying to make this quiz for a while, and he gave me more ideas.
Here it is!

Josh Lewis

Jun 16, 2013, 10:15:33 PM6/16/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I was planning to make a series of Trailer Park Boys quotes by season (seven in all) but after seeing how badly this one has bombed, I dunno. I made a TPB quiz a few years ago and it got a lot of play, so I'm surprised no one is playing this.

Message has been deleted

zaphenath

Jun 17, 2013, 10:22:20 AM6/17/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Had fun with this quiz -- not sure why these trifectas are "troubling" though; from the title I expected something in this to be more disturbing

zaphenath

Jun 17, 2013, 10:30:24 AM6/17/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Just saw that one of my recent posts was deleted -- not sure what rules I broke.  Can someone please explain?
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

zaphenath

Jun 17, 2013, 10:49:51 PM6/17/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
All great quizzes.  Smallest to Largest drove me nuts for awhile

Aaron Simpson

Jul 26, 2013, 12:01:14 AM7/26/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
*Word Ladder: Ben's Advice- 12 plays:  http://www.sporcle.com/games/mxc_takeshi/ah-go-fly-a-kite  (I always want to add a certain color scheme to make it stand out)
*I Never Played for You! (Sports)- 39 plays: http://www.sporcle.com/games/mxc_takeshi/shouldnt-have-traded-me (NBA color scheme; type of quiz that I felt was unique)
*Colleges with a No. 1 NBA Draft Pick- 346 plays (most): http://www.sporcle.com/games/mxc_takeshi/colleges-with-a-no-1-nba-draft-pick (low rating is justified as I jumped the gun in terms of making the sure the information and format were both correct- for example, I I had it where typing in "St" gave all the answers with "State" in them (Michigan St- Michigan State)
*James Bond- Right Year, Right Title- 74 plays: http://www.sporcle.com/games/mxc_takeshi/james-bond-movie-match-by-year (only matching quiz)
*Kentucky Derby A-Z- 11 plays: http://www.sporcle.com/games/mxc_takeshi/kentucky-derby-a-z (IMO a great color scheme- the heading is brown; the body is green and red like the garland of roses awarded to the Derby-winning horse).

geshmonkey

Jul 26, 2013, 3:44:27 AM7/26/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, sure, I might as well put mine up, can't hurt. Hoping for some decent feedback, I guess, enjoy.

Using colour-coding for things regarding borders, currency and capitals (in the game hint) just work your way through the puzzle. (43 plays)

It's kind of the 'lost' game from my Criteria Countries series - I didn't notice anything too wrong about it, but it's stuck at 85 plays and 3.33 rating.

My take on those "Name A..." quizzes, with Pixar Movies. Rating's not bad, but no comments on it (175 plays)

It's a logic puzzle based on planets and one of their moons, which they are all adjacent to. This one's kind of recent, but it got 1-bombed out of the blue almost straight away, so it's only on 3.33 rating. It was meant to be for the moon-landing anniversary, only until I realised it was a day later in the USA, but oh well.
Message has been deleted

Esvadude

Jul 26, 2013, 11:49:10 AM7/26/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
A lot of my quizzes are of the song lyrics varieties, so they only get a certain amount of plays, but I've recently started branching out.  Here are a few of both:

My first attempt at a Follow That Line quiz, based on the the star of King of the Hill. It has a 5.00 after 5 ratings and 1 favorite, and it's sister quiz about Dale Gribble got a CP

My very first quiz from 2 years ago. Gets about 1 or 2 plays a week, but nothing more than that.

A different take on a lyrics quiz.  Has less than 100 plays (84) and only 1 rating (I think from my brother...) so if anybody wants to comment, be free

This one has only 30 plays (but it is pretty recent), and I'm mainly wondering if it is too hard, or if some of the stadiums are really difficult to identify. I tried picking only well-known schools (except for one, but there is a hint included with the picture).

Finally, I would really like some feedback on this one.  This was my first and only word ladder attempt. It hasn't gotten a play since the day I released it, so any criticism is helpful.

naqwerty3

Jul 26, 2013, 5:46:14 PM7/26/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Esvadude, I thought you're FBS Stadiums quiz was phenomenal. While it was rather challenging, it was entertaining to play and the variety of schools you chose was very good. I went ahead and gave it a much-deserving curator pick. Keep up the good work on your slideshows!

Esvadude

Jul 26, 2013, 11:24:08 PM7/26/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot!

21forever

Jul 30, 2013, 8:18:53 PM7/30/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I just put out a quiz titled "Countries of the World Slideshow."  It's basically the slideshow version of 'Countries of the World' and 'Countries of the World Redux.'  Every day, starting on the first, I will put out a new quiz in the series for each of the continents.  Be there or be square.

Sanjay Roy

Jul 31, 2013, 3:43:49 PM7/31/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I have a few quizzes that have fallen into obscurity that I believe have potential to have done better:

As the name implies, a video quiz asking the quiz taker to identify songs and video clips from the year 1997. It received 2 5-star ratings and 1 favorite at 20 plays before falling off the most recent lists, after which point it became almost impossible to find via searches.

A fairly straightforward word ladder, and while perhaps not ground-breaking in any fashion I felt it was decently good, and better than some I see make the main page. It only hit 22 plays before 'retiring' however, so perhaps it needed something more to draw plays (comments welcome).

This quiz was seemingly well received initially, getting to a 4.33 rating on 9 votes and continuing to garner plays as it remained in sight. As soon as it fell off the ratings list however it too faded from sight, and sits at a stalled 83 plays.

iglew

Jul 31, 2013, 4:06:15 PM7/31/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
@Sanjay:  Your word ladder has a few minor problems, which could be easily fixed.  On the whole it's a good ladder, and I agree it's better than many that see the Daily Dose.

My quibbles:

1. You have misspelled "mammalian" as "mammilian".  (Also, it's redundant, since milk by definition can only come from a mammal....)

2. You have misspelled "occurrence" as "occurence". (I would also omit the "of" there.)

3. The clue for PAVES is grammatically mismatched. If the clue is what someone "might do", the answer is he might pave, with no S on the end. You need to say "what someone ... does", or else re-word the clue in some other way.

4. Warts aren't the same as acne.  I would re-word that clue, or at least put acne in quotes.

With those small fixes I would recommend your ladder.

P.S.  Not a fix, but just a thought: Your clue for HEIRS makes me want a bonus answer for "meek".  Something like << Blessed are they!/meek ee >>. Then to emphasize it, I would revise the clue to say "They shall inherit".   But that's just me.  I'm fond of biblical references....

Kazaxat

Jul 31, 2013, 4:34:43 PM7/31/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
@iglew: Ah, embarrassing spelling and grammatical mistakes, of course. I have corrected those and taken your suggestions, including your advice for a hidden answer. Thank you for your input!

JoeBeta

Jul 31, 2013, 9:23:35 PM7/31/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
As far as the Remember 1997 (video) quiz is concerned, I was going to type out a bunch of feedback right here in this forum, but I would prefer to email my thoughts to you. Just email me at jb...@aol.com . My email is also included in my profile. If I ruled the world, everybody would have an email address in their profile. I am the Curator of the subcategory of Clip so I should be able to help that quiz get some more exposure.

Funnyfavorer101

Aug 19, 2013, 1:52:36 PM8/19/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Most of my quizzes that have not taken off deserve to be that way (the only ones that have really been noticed were quickly published). However, there is one quiz that is very specific to its subcategory and isn't the best, but it got a few hundred plays in the beginning, and I worked hard on it trying to find all the answers. I would just like some constructive criticism on how to make it just that tiny bit better. I haven't worked on it in a year or so, and my ideas of what was good and what wasn't good for a quiz were very different, so there are some obvious things that need to be changed. I'd just like some input.

MovieGuru

Aug 19, 2013, 2:16:05 PM8/19/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I love that quiz (like I said in the comments).
The color scheme is a bit extreme for me. This depends on preference, but I like light, calm colors on quizzes.
And if there was a way to make it less cluttered, that would be great. Not sure how that would be possible.. maybe adding the nation at the end of each hint in parentheses instead of its own column. That would take a lot of work though, so that's more of a suggestion for future quizzes.

Funnyfavorer101

Aug 19, 2013, 2:25:21 PM8/19/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I definitely agree about the colors. Like I said, my mind worked very differently when I made that quiz. Thanks for the suggestion - I think removing the extra column would really help a lot. It wouldn't be all that much work, plus, I have a lot of free time. I think I'll go do that now.

MovieGuru

Aug 19, 2013, 2:28:24 PM8/19/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Another option is to make use of Sporcle's cell coloring feature and color code the different nations (red for fire nation, blue for water...)

Samantha Wiegand

Aug 19, 2013, 2:38:25 PM8/19/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking of doing something like that. I probably would have created the quiz that way, but that feature wasn't around at the time.

Non importa quanti anni sono nella vostra vita. Ciò che conta è la quantità di vita è nelle tue anni.

Funnyfavorer101

Aug 19, 2013, 3:41:50 PM8/19/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Well, I just tried it, but it isn't working. Any help? I have previously achieved this, but I can't get the colors to kick in now. I there a limit to how many different colors you can use?

MovieGuru

Aug 19, 2013, 4:21:57 PM8/19/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
What does your data section look like?

Funnyfavorer101

Aug 19, 2013, 4:28:17 PM8/19/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
It looks like this (first few rows):

Leader of the Freedom Fighters         Jet                                               088A08
Pet gorilla-goat                                Flopsy                                          088A08
Prince who lost his honor                 Prince Zuko/Zuko                           FF0000

Or maybe, would it be that, if one row in the extra column doesn't register, it disregards all? Or am I just doing this wrong?

MovieGuru

Aug 19, 2013, 4:30:19 PM8/19/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Make sure the check box indicating that the extra column corresponds to colors is checked and try adding #'s before each color code

Samantha Wiegand

Aug 19, 2013, 4:35:50 PM8/19/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
The checkbox is checked. I first had it with the # sign in front of each, but when that didn't work, I tried taking them off. I will put them back on and try again. Should I report a bug if that doesn't work, or could something else be wrong, maybe in the other formatting issues?

Non importa quanti anni sono nella vostra vita. Ciò che conta è la quantità di vita è nelle tue anni.

MovieGuru

Aug 19, 2013, 4:38:33 PM8/19/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Can you switch the category of your quiz from Television to Holiday temporarily so that I can go look at the data?

Samantha Wiegand

Aug 19, 2013, 4:41:02 PM8/19/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Actually, I just now got it to work. Thanks!

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 1:38 PM, MovieGuru <movieg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Can you switch the category of your quiz from Television to Holiday temporarily so that I can go look at the data?

Rocky123

Sep 15, 2013, 5:24:31 PM9/15/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Rocky123

Sep 15, 2013, 5:27:40 PM9/15/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Keegan Covey

Sep 15, 2013, 6:43:42 PM9/15/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'll focus on the quizzes that I think are good but underplayed (as I imagine most are.)

1. Judas Priest Riff Challenge. This quiz I only posted yesterday, and for what it is it has a decent number of plays. It's obviously fairly niche, like these quizzes usually are, but any Priest fans out there will enjoy it.

2. Coup-Free African Countries. This is an old one, and I really like the concept behind it. My decision to make bonuses for all the countries to have had coups means that I have to be on my toes about updating it though.

3. Country Per Official Title. This never got a lot of plays, but I still think it was a fun idea. I wouldn't be surprised to discover there were already one or two like it though.

4. Black Sabbath singers. Another niche quiz. I've done several Sabbath quizzes but this one is arguably the most unique.

5. Countries with Non-Contiguous Regions. This one actually does have a lot of plays, but I like it enough I'll promote it anyway.

Anderson(Blackhawks65)

Sep 15, 2013, 7:53:08 PM9/15/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Alright, let's see here. I only have one game over 1,000 plays, but I have a few that I would like to be recognized.
1. Follow That Line: Shrek http://www.sporcle.com/games/Blackhawks65/follow-that-line-shrek
My first follow that line, actually got CP'd and has 500-600 plays
2. Stop the Evil Mastermind http://www.sporcle.com/games/Blackhawks65/stop-the-evil-mastermind
A long quiz with less than 50 plays, if you play it, try to get to the end because the format changes towards the end of the quiz.
3. My entire Consonantal Divide series http://www.sporcle.com/games/Blackhawks65/blackhawks-word-ladder http://www.sporcle.com/games/Blackhawks65/consonantal-divide-ii
The link to the first game isn't on here because it has 4 thousand plays and an EP in geography. But these two have less than fifty plays combined. By the way, if you want to, you can make your own. (Consonantal Divide: Whatever your quiz is about)
4. Logic Puzzle: In the Doghouse http://www.sporcle.com/games/Blackhawks65/logic-puzzle-in-the-doghouse
My first Logic Puzzle, and I think I did good even though it is kind of short.
5. Border or no Border http://www.sporcle.com/games/Blackhawks65/border-or-no-border-countries
A quick geography quiz that I really like.

ChargingTiger

Sep 16, 2013, 11:46:06 AM9/16/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'll throw some of mine out there too.

US President or Not? You have to decide if each person listed has served as a US President or not (pretty simple). This quiz has 109 plays.

President or Prime Minister. This one features many different heads of state from various countries and asks you if each ruler was a President or Prime Minster. It has 160 plays.

Clickable Days of Creation. Click the things that were created on each days of the Biblical creation week. 77 plays.

The Sporcler's Spelling Nemesis. You know that one country we love to hate because we can't spell it? Well, this quiz will help you learn how to accurately spell your nemesis. 71 plays.

Baconator Ingredients. What are those delicious Wendy's sandwiches made from? Play this quiz and find out. Only 25 plays.

Usmcfunkymunky

Sep 16, 2013, 2:45:07 PM9/16/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Ps4211

Sep 25, 2013, 4:56:29 PM9/25/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Here's a few of mine, in order of what I think is my best to my worst (of the ones I've posted):

1)   http://www.sporcle.com/games/Dymefire/country_or_capital  This one I think is pretty original.  I give you a country or a capital, and you name the capital or the country.  Generally favorable comments (several suggestions / my responses), 6 faves, 4.24 out of 21 ratings, and 481 plays.  I know that's a decent number, more than a lot on here (including many of my own!), but I think this one has the most potential.

2)  http://www.sporcle.com/games/Dymefire/countries-and-capitals-of-europe  This is actually one in a six-part series, and is my most played quiz.  All the quizzes in the series have a few faves, decent ratings, and three-digit plays.  The Europe one has the most plays.  Like one user said (and the reason I made these), he was surprised these weren't already made yet.

3)  http://www.sporcle.com/games/Dymefire/7-ancient-wonders--location  I think this is a neat little quiz... simple, quick, good for learning.  If this thread helps it I might make a sequel with the other wonders (the so-called "Modern" wonders), if they aren't already made.  I know that Derek made the published one, but this is just a tad different.

Anyway, if there's one I'd most like to see played / promoted / hopefully published, it would be the first.

I've played quite a few of the quizzes on here, and will continue to do so, as well as rate, comment, and maybe even nominate!

Best,

Ps4211

ChileNoseJam

Sep 25, 2013, 7:02:30 PM9/25/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Just come across this, thanks for the opportunity! I'd welcome feedback on any of the following (in no particular order):

Which former Yugoslav country? - only just published this, my first attempt at a slideshow quiz. I have enough images to make several more "Which of the following group of countries" quizzes, but I thought I'd see how the format went down first.

Things you need - inspired by "Things Meat Loaf won't do for love", but it's only had 20 plays. Perhaps people think one single answer "fill in the lyric" quiz is enough, and any similar one is never going to be as popular?

Les Miserables casts - there have been a few similar quizzes to this, but I thought there was scope for a new one as none of the others was quite as comprehensive, and didn't include the 2012 film. Again, very few plays.

Clickable Grand Tour of Europe - I thought this was one of my better quizzes, but it's been up for a year and still under 50 plays. Too long, maybe?

One born every year (sports) - again, possibly too long, although the whole point was to have one person for every year of the 20th century. Averaging less than a play per month! Perhaps it would be better to do it in 10 or 20 year fragments?

ChileNoseJam

Sep 25, 2013, 7:20:59 PM9/25/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I liked the Bible Book Before, but it definitely needs more time; I'd guess my Bible knowledge is probably better than most people's, but I'd only got to 44 before the time ran out. In the opposite direction, the Latin quotes one allows more time than is probably necessary. Content-wise they're both great, though.
It is loading more messages.