ANN: Sphinx-3.1.1 is out

Komiya Takeshi

Jun 14, 2020, 12:13:45 AM6/14/20
to sphinx...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Today, I released Sphinx-3.1.1. It contains some bug fixes.

For more detail, please check the CHANGES file:
https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/blob/3.1.x/CHANGES

Enjoy documentation!

Thanks,
Takeshi KOMIYA

Jeff McKenna

Jun 14, 2020, 7:01:59 AM6/14/20
to sphinx...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this notice KOMIYA-san.

-jeff

Oscar Benjamin

Jun 14, 2020, 11:39:21 AM6/14/20
to sphinx...@googlegroups.com
Hi Takeshi,

We're having some problems building the sympy docs with 3.1.1 and if
this is something that should be fixed in sympy or in sphinx:
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/issues/19551
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/19554

It seems that where there is a function that has the same name as a
module the py:func etc references won't work. For example there is a
class Order with fully qualified name sympy.series.order.Order but a
reference to the fully qualified name fails to find it. It seems this
is because there is also a function called series which is available
in sympy/__init__.py that conflicts with the package name.

>>> from sympy.series.order import Order
>>> Order
<class 'sympy.series.order.Order'>

However:

>>> import sympy
>>> sympy.series.order.Order
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
AttributeError: 'function' object has no attribute 'order'
>>> sympy.series
<function series at 0x1108b4790>

I think that sphinx 3.1.1 is doing something analogous:

WARNING: autodoc: failed to import class 'series.order.Order' from
module 'sympy'; the following exception was raised:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/enojb/current/sympy/38venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sphinx/util/inspect.py",
line 324, in safe_getattr
return getattr(obj, name, *defargs)
AttributeError: 'function' object has no attribute 'order'

These are the references:

$ git grep sympy.series.order.Order
doc/src/gotchas.rst:<sympy.core.evalf.N>`, ``C``, :obj:`O
<sympy.series.order.Order>`, or :obj:`Q
doc/src/modules/series/series.rst:.. autoclass:: sympy.series.order.Order

Oscar

Luc Saffre

Jun 14, 2020, 11:49:49 AM6/14/20
to sphinx...@googlegroups.com, Komiya Takeshi
Successfully built all my projects with the new version.  Thanks for your ongoing work on this project!

Luc

John H Palmieri

Jun 29, 2020, 8:25:29 PM6/29/20
to sphinx-users
It looks to me like spacing for bulleted lists changed in html builds: there is more space between lines in bulleted lists with 3.1.1 as compared to 3.0.4. I didn't see anything in the change log about it; does anyone else see this? I see this with `sphinx-quickstart` and a file `index.rst` containing just

.. TEMP documentation master file, created by
   sphinx
-quickstart on Mon Jun 29 17:15:31 2020.

You can adapt this file completely to your liking, but it should at least
   contain the root
`toctree` directive.

Welcome to TEMP's documentation!
=================================

.. toctree::
   :maxdepth: 2
   :caption: Contents:

A bulleted list:
================

* item 1
* item 2
* another item

Jörg Faschingbauer

Jun 29, 2020, 11:06:59 PM6/29/20
to sphinx...@googlegroups.com, John H Palmieri
On 6/30/20 2:25 AM, John H Palmieri wrote:

> It looks to me like spacing for bulleted lists changed in html builds:
> there is more space between lines in bulleted lists with 3.1.1 as
> compared to 3.0.4. I didn't see anything in the change log about it;
> does anyone else see this?

I also observe this behavior. I used to blame it on myself because I
made a couple of changes in my own codebase at the same time that I
upgraded sphinx. Just had no idea which one could be the cause.

One can see the difference in the two versions of my homepage,

* https://www.faschingbauer.co.at/, stable, built with 3.0.3
* https://www.faschingbauer.me/, experimental, built with 3.1.1

I had postponed the task of debugging that particular issue because the
visual appearance is suboptimal anyway :-)

Jörg
--
DI Jörg Faschingbauer
Linux und Open Source - Programmierung, Beratung und Schulung

Matthias Geier

Jun 30, 2020, 7:01:48 AM6/30/20
to sphinx...@googlegroups.com, John H Palmieri
Hi John and Jörg (and everyone else).

This appeared in version 3.1.0 and has already been reported at
https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/issues/7838.

> I had postponed the task of debugging that particular issue because the
> visual appearance is suboptimal anyway :-)

Exactly!

I tried to improve this in
https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/pull/7657, but this was only a
partial improvement and led to the increased spacing.

I've since fixed the spacing in https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/pull/7852.

Please check if that works for you!

I hope this will become part of release 3.1.2.

cheers,
Matthias

John H Palmieri

Jun 30, 2020, 2:13:11 PM6/30/20
to sphinx-users

On Tuesday, June 30, 2020 at 4:01:48 AM UTC-7, Matthias Geier wrote:
Hi John and Jörg (and everyone else).

This appeared in version 3.1.0 and has already been reported at
https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/issues/7838.

> I had postponed the task of debugging that particular issue because the
> visual appearance is suboptimal anyway :-)

Exactly!

I tried to improve this in
https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/pull/7657, but this was only a
partial improvement and led to the increased spacing.

I've since fixed the spacing in https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/pull/7852.

Please check if that works for you!

In my limited testing, it does work for me, thanks!

John H Palmieri

Jul 6, 2020, 8:31:01 PM7/6/20
to sphinx-users
And now 3.1.2 fixes the problem!

--
John

Jörg Faschingbauer

Jul 7, 2020, 8:22:12 AM7/7/20
On 7/7/20 2:31 AM, John H Palmieri wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 30, 2020 at 11:13:11 AM UTC-7, John H Palmieri wrote:
>

> On Tuesday, June 30, 2020 at 4:01:48 AM UTC-7, Matthias Geier wrote:
>
> Hi John and Jörg (and everyone else).
>
> This appeared in version 3.1.0 and has already been reported at
> https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/issues/7838
> <https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/issues/7838>.
>
> > I had postponed the task of debugging that particular issue
> because the
> > visual appearance is suboptimal anyway :-)
>
> Exactly!
>
> I tried to improve this in
> https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/pull/7657
> <https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/pull/7657>, but this was
> only a
> partial improvement and led to the increased spacing.
>
> I've since fixed the spacing in
> https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/pull/7852
> <https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/pull/7852>.
>
> Please check if that works for you!
>

> In my limited testing, it does work for me, thanks!
>

> I hope this will become part of release 3.1.2.
>
> cheers,
> Matthias
>

> And now 3.1.2 fixes the problem!

Adding a +1 here!