autoattribute for parallel assignment

Buken Li

Jun 1, 2014, 3:40:14 PM6/1/14
to sphinx...@googlegroups.com

When documenting instance variables, I can do

class Foo:
    def __init__(self):
        self.spam = 4
        """Docstring for instance attribute spam."""

This doesn't work for parallel assignment

class Foo:
    def __init__(self):
        self.spam, self.bar, self.moo = 4, 5, 6
        """Docstring for instance attribute spam."""

Is there any way I can document variables when using parallel assignment? Thanks.

Takayuki Shimizukawa

Jun 15, 2014, 3:33:05 AM6/15/14
to sphinx...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I think there is no way to document for parallel assigned attributes.
Please write each attribute documentation in separated lines.

Technically: sphinx.pycode.AttrDocVisitor.add_docstring function interpret a attribute documentation.
IF block at line 146 invoked only when `self.variable = value` style line placed before/after a doc-comment.

Regards,

--
Takayuki SHIMIZUKAWA
http://about.me/shimizukawa

Buken Li

Jun 16, 2014, 11:31:44 AM6/16/14
to sphinx...@googlegroups.com
Sometimes parallel assignment is the cleanest way to write. For example

class Foo:
    def __init__(self):
        self.spam, self.bar, self.moo = baz()

Its too bad that
sphinx doesn't support this.
btw it is possible to manually write the doc in these situations. See http://stackoverflow.com/a/24046052/1993391

Takayuki Shimizukawa

Jun 16, 2014, 8:58:59 PM6/16/14
to sphinx...@googlegroups.com

> Sometimes parallel assignment is the cleanest way to write. For example
>
> class Foo:
> def __init__(self):
> self.spam, self.bar, self.moo = baz()
>
> Its too bad that sphinx doesn't support this.

It makes sense.
Please post a feature request to the issue tracker :)

> btw it is possible to manually write the doc in these situations. See http://stackoverflow.com/a/24046052/1993391

Yeah, autodoc creates intermediate reST text internally as the
stackoverflow's comment described.